Uniden BC796D

Status
Not open for further replies.

k0sux

I'm trying to help a friend with some issues he's having with a scanner.

First I'd like to be sure he has the latest firmware version. His shows 3.6, I cannot access the Uniden Downloads page and cannot find difinitive info on the net.

Can anyone tell me if 3.6 is the latest and if it's not where I can get a newer version?

Thanks

k0sux

Thanks so much for your post. I was actually able to access it earlier today and found he's using the latest. I too my working scanner to his location and found he just can't get a signal for what he's trying to monitor.

Thanks

fieldho

Premium Subscriber
VERY EXPENSIVE BRICK.

Help, I was trying to update firmware on my 796D and I think I cleared all. I pushed 3,6 and Scan buttons and turned in on now I have a blank screen. Is there a Master reset procedure? I forgot to click on Computer control before and my computer(win.7) doesn't see scanner. I think I am using the correct com port (4). When I turn it on wihile holding 3-6-scan the screen lights up but that's all. I tried turning it off and unplugging everything for about 5 minutes with no change. I tried the freescan port search which checks all ports at all speeds and that didn't help. Do I need to pack it up for shipment to Uniden?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There's one glaring ommision from your description of your issue. You didn't say anything about a USB-serial cable, and most importantly loading drivers before connecting the scanner. Just because you think you're using COM4 doesn't mean you actually are.

We have a wiki article that goes into great detail about looking at Windows Device Manager, USB devices and much more...

Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

pgnsucks

Depending upon the unit either GRE/Uniden/Radio shack you will be using the software you choose. My experience has been that Serial/USB connections work very well. With any of the freeware or paid programs using Serial or USB. The software will tell you it is communicating with the software of your choice.

You might use a Serial connection with older software or if you want to run mulitple like 6-8 installs of the same software. Yet the Serial-USB connections from Uniden to GRE they work great. Maybe a reboot but that is about it.....

fieldho

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, Spooney but the 2-9-HOLD doesn't have any effect. I found where I got the l/o-scan-6 to initiate download of firmware upgrade. It was in the procedure as described by Uniden. I think, before I send my scanner on a cruise to the shop, I'll try a few more USB to serial adapter cables. I got this one off ebay and I think it's got an unsupported chip (PL2303H/HX/X) it's an old or crappie clone from China.

fieldho

Premium Subscriber
Thanks ka3jjz, the upgrade confirms the com port number before it will start but, just to make sure, I went to device manager and checked before I clicked OK on the upgrade. Thanks for you help, I'll try a few different usb to serial cables before I send it in for repair. I might have just gone too cheap too fast.
OKAY lesson learned.

fieldho

Premium Subscriber
Update on my 796. Thanks to all. I picked up another USB to Serial cable, connected it to an unused, USB port in the back, installed a FTDI, WHQL driver and this time my puter found it. After installing firmware update, all is back in line. Now I'll clear and start downloading Freqs from RR. My next project is a GRE-800. My locals are threatening to go Phase II, MSWIN.
Thanks All.

Status
Not open for further replies.