Lake County 911 Consolidation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed6698

Looks like Lake County is getting closer to switching their radio systems. They say it will be operating on 700mhz and will play together with the state of Indiana 800mhz system. What do they mean by that? Will they still be broadcasting on the SAFE-T system?

kg9nn

One way I've seen it done

1. Setup a stand-alone 7/800MHz P25/SmartNet system
2. Obtain radio IDs from IPSC
3. Determine which talk groups from SAFE-T you might want on your system.

Use the IPSC radio IDs, duplicate the SAFE-T talk groups on your system, configure the radios to operate on both systems. Dispatch can patch (for example) SW MA 1 on SAFE-T to SW MA 1 on the private system. The day-to-day procedure is to use the private system, ask dispatch to patch / "activate" a patch when needed, and switch to SAFE-T when the private system goes down.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Where are you seeing info about 700Mhz?
Can you provide a link?

If it is P25 Phase 1, you should be okay with a PSR-500.

wingmaker

Thanks You Ed6698, very interesting and I appreciate it:) Just proposed for now, so we will see:)

Love and Blessings

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
If they indeed go 700 MHz, then it MUST be P25 Phase II unless they get a special waiver from the FCC. Being that it will be an Motorola ASTRO-25, it will have seamless linking to the current Motorola Legacy ASTRO SAFE-T system. Not to mention if they choose to use Motorola APX radios, they can easily have both systems in them, as well as both the 800 MHz, and 700 MHz conventional interop freqs.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
If they indeed go 700 MHz, then it MUST be P25 Phase II unless they get a special waiver from the FCC.

That is not correct.

The deadline for 6.25 kHz efficiency in the 700 MHz public safety narrowband spectrum is December 31st, 2016.

There is also an interim deadline of December 31st, 2014, after which systems that operate only in 12.5 kHz efficiency in the 700 MHz public safety narrowband spectrum can no longer be manufactured, imported, or marketed.

Bottom lining it: 12.5 kHz efficiency (Phase I FDMA) operation is permitted in the 700 MHz public safety narrowband spectrum until the end of 2016. No "special waivers" are required until that date. No one "MUST" go to Phase II TDMA until that date.

Ed6698

From what is being said, it looks like eventually I would need a Phase II capable scanner. If that is the case I can actually wait a while to see how the new line of scanners review from users and make a decision later on.

melvin1987

Premium Subscriber
I'm wondering if the new 700 P25 system will have seamless interop capabilities with city of Hammond & East Chicago's 800 Mhz TRS...

INDY72

To hear most of SAFE-T's TG's you need a digital capable scanner now anyways lol. About the East Chicago, and Hammond systems, that depends on if they wish to set up an linking via hard or soft patching, or software interfaces. If those two systems are Motorola TRS's, then software interface is really quite simple. If they are another vendor, such as the Harris EDACS (going bye bye), then they would set up a hard, or soft patch. Again that all depends on if they even set up an interop agreement and go that route. Or they can use the conventional interop freqs set aside nationwide just for this purpose.

INDY72

SAFE-T isn't even P25 yet, Phase I or II. SAFE-T is Motorola Type II, using mostly digital talkgroups. The conversion of SAFE-T to P25 is still a while off but is going to happen. This discussion is about the consolidation of Lake County's PSAP, and -911 dispatch centers into a single Central Dispatch, and possibly building its own P25 TRS in the near future. (Don't get started with the "never going to happen" mess about SAFE-T never going to upgrade, as that pretty much is a "have to" situation for anyone using the older systems. Support for them is slowly going away and the Vendors have moved on to production of more current technologies, (Hint, that's the ASTRO-25 format if your talking Motorola, which the State of Indiana uses as its Vendor, and even though 800 MHz is not mandated as far as I know to go Phase II P25, if you want the best bang for the buck in P25 when you want to put massive amounts of users on your TRS, you go Phase II TDMA. Its simple math, 2 slots for every frequency instead of 1, and with SAFE-T at the full point using the technologies it is based on... You do the math.) Now back to the original intent of this thread.

W9NES

aandraldaba, It would be a great idea for you to buy a digital scanner so you will be able to hear State Police Dist 13 Lowell on Safe-t 800Mhz along with the others who use safe-t in Lake County. This way when the others who are not currently on safe-t make the switch you will be able to hear them and will not be left in the dark..

Status
Not open for further replies.