• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Chinese APCO P25 Transceiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I was reading about the Powerwerx DB-750X Dual Band VHF/UHF commercial mobile radio and it made me wonder if there has been any discussion of am APCO P25 transceiver from one of the Chinese manufactures? With the various digital formats on amateur radio these days, it would seem like a natural next step for them.

rapidcharger

With the various digital formats on amateur radio these days, it would seem like a natural next step for them.

Why?

99.9% of P25 users are government agencies. They don't buy entry level Chinese radios. They buy the most expensive radios money can buy.

There are some entry level Chinese digital radios but they're not p25 and they don't do advanced features like trunking.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It's not just the cost of the radio. DVSI licenses the vocoder, and they don't do that for free. If the $40 low end radios had to have the vocoder and licensing necessary to do P25, they'd cost quite a bit more.

Anyway, as was said, the guys who use P25 in public safety wouldn't appreciate a low end radio. With that, there isn't really a market for it. Also, P25, while popular, isn't really that good a protocol. It's been in the planning stages for 20 years now, and there are much better and cheaper choices, especially for non-public safety and amateur.

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
a few months ago, I read about a chinese radio that was just under $200.00 that did digital. I inquired. It does do digital format, but none of the formats we use here in the U.S. That said it did me absolutely no good and I stopped before even getting one to play with

Here is the article I read before looking into buying one: Chinese digital radios – they’re here. | Ham Radio Blog PD0AC

AF0DJ

Premium Subscriber
I do note that there are more and more p-25 amateur repeaters coming on line as surplus govnm't radios are becoming available. Remember that the government has been requiring P-25 in all of their VHF gear for quite a few years now and they normally change out their gear on a time based -vs- a function based schedule. I anticipate that their might even be as may P-25 'peaters in THIS country as D-Links in a few years.

n5ims

It's not just the cost of the radio. DVSI licenses the vocoder, and they don't do that for free. If the $40 low end radios had to have the vocoder and licensing necessary to do P25, they'd cost quite a bit more.

Anyway, as was said, the guys who use P25 in public safety wouldn't appreciate a low end radio. With that, there isn't really a market for it. Also, P25, while popular, isn't really that good a protocol. It's been in the planning stages for 20 years now, and there are much better and cheaper choices, especially for non-public safety and amateur.

The Chinese paying royalties for licensing? That's a good one! Haven't had a chuckle that good in a while.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I'm confused. The link above says it is not compatible with DMR [Motortrbo, Nexus/Nexen, D-star, IDAS]. Can anyone say for sure that they are compatible? And as the tread that posted the link states it does not do any of the formats available in the US. So does anyone know for sure?

KD8DVR

I'm confused. The link above says it is not compatible with DMR [Motortrbo, Nexus/Nexen, D-star, IDAS]. Can anyone say for sure that they are compatible? And as the tread that posted the link states it does not do any of the formats available in the US. So does anyone know for sure?

They do NOT do DMR...

Connect Systems has a DMR compatible radio for about $180

Untitled Document

Elfnetdesigns

Some HYT / Hytera and Kirisun models will do DMR.

Also what do hams need a p25 repeater and radio for? This is the reason we destroy and recycle all traded in digital equipment so it does not return to the field.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
As stated above, I do not think Kirisun make DMR. If you really have to wonder why hams need P25 read the threads under Amateur Radio, Digital Voice for Amateur use.

ecps92

ahh, longing for the ole Dumpster Diving days at "M"

Because Amateur is about experimenting.
Bet you said the same thing about Hams moving from AM to FM :roll:

Also what do hams need a p25 repeater and radio for? This is the reason we destroy and recycle all traded in digital equipment so it does not return to the field.

SCPD

QRT

Because it's part of the hi-tech hobby, to learn about and utilize existing and developing new transmission methods to communicate. Were pretty darn good using recycled "digital equipment" for making reliable communications, especially when the big boys systems go down. Not many of us can afford new P25 equipment and the traded stuff is very affordable. Some of the gear just needs a quick tune up and they work fantastic.

TEKurtz

robertmac; said:
As stated above, I do not think Kirisun make DMR. .

Actually the Kirisun's are DMR. The DP770/780 is Tier II DMR and compatible with MOTOTRBO etc.
The Kirisun S780 is only DMR tier I and not compatible, however it's still digital audio quality, but if you were to get a pair of those they would be the most expensive FRS radios ever.

The DP770's are $350-400 and quite reasonable considering what they offer and what they are comparable to.
Mil-spec water/dust proof, etc.

Kirisun and Motorola on DMR

Also the Puxing PX700/800 series does DMR

Last edited:

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Actually the Kirisun's are DMR. The DP770/780 is Tier II DMR and compatible with MOTOTRBO etc.
The Kirisun S780 is only DMR tier I and not compatible, however it's still digital audio quality, but if you were to get a pair of those they would be the most expensive FRS radios ever.

The DP770's are $350-400 and quite reasonable considering what they offer and what they are comparable to.
Mil-spec water/dust proof, etc.

Kirisun and Motorola on DMR

Also the Puxing PX700/800 series does DMR

Couldn't open the links. But I thought the DP770s are not available and not available until 2015?

prcguy

This is probably the most disturbing and misguided statement I've read in a very long time. I want to say more but it would probably get me banned, so I'll just hope the OP is not in a position to send good useable radios off to be destroyed thinking he is doing the world a favor.
prcguy

Status
Not open for further replies.