NYPD CW4 now P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaze

Premium Subscriber
NYPD's first P25 system is now on the air. Citywide-4 is now all P25, to be (mostly) encrypted.

Expect other channels to follow, eventually.

ff026

Feed Provider
I would not expect other channels to follow as there are not many p25 capable radios in the field.

blaze

Premium Subscriber
I would not expect other channels to follow as there are not many p25 capable radios in the field.

Yes, this is for various special commands, not precinct zone channels.

one11sgt

CW 4 has had the ability to turn encryption on and off for a long time. It isnt used by 99% of the dept and isnt even programmed in the radios of patrol officers. It was initially for the brass to communicate before cell phones where prevalent. Its just another waste of a frequency just like Detective 1 and 2, SPIN, IAB and OCCB 1 and 2. None of these are used very much anymore since cell phones.

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
If i remember correctly they has p25 on citywide 4 in the past.
I am pretty sure if was Back early 2000's they had zone 1 going over cw4 in digital.

blaze

Premium Subscriber
I believe the previous systems were a mix of analog and SecureNet; the new CW4, on the other hand is, all P25 (which is the first P25 infrastructure for NYPD).

ff026

Feed Provider
No it's been P25 for a few years. It is not heavily used i.e. As stated it's not in patrol radios it's usually in executives radios many of which are not carrying a P25 radio.

blaze

Premium Subscriber
No it's been P25 for a few years. It is not heavily used i.e. As stated it's not in patrol radios it's usually in executives radios many of which are not carrying a P25 radio.

I assure you you're wrong about that.

ff026

Feed Provider
No I am not I have notes from early 2003 that list it as p25 it's been programmed in my XTS for that long. As far as p25 radios, ESU and some traffic units have the SSE transit now has the APX. That's about the lot of p25 radios. Captains and above carry the small Vertex which is not p25.

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
Early 2003 sounds about right. I was still working in lower Manhattan. I know it wasn't encryption I was hearing , because then I would never been able to hear zone 1 over cw4.

ff026

Feed Provider
Ok. Is it a multicast from another division? Are you listening to it on something that can be decoded?

blaze

Premium Subscriber
Ok. Is it a multicast from another division? Are you listening to it on something that can be decoded?

Doesn't seem to be. Mostly encrypted (AES) with the occasional "10-4" in the clear.

blaze

Premium Subscriber
Yesterday (the 24th) was another busy day for CW4. Radio system testing in the morning, then some surveillance-type activity in the afternoon/evening, where they eventually went encrypted.

Status
Not open for further replies.