DPS Freq Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

noodle74

Feed Provider
I can monitor 154.92 and 158.79 all day and never hear a car talking to dispatch.
I hear dispatch talking to the cars with no problem.

Where am I going wrong?

medic9351301

Banned
best way to explain it the cars talk to the base on one freq and the base to cars on one freq.
its not a repeater system.i think its called a duplex system. there are a couple of old state dps dispatchers on here give them some time the will respond to you.

medic9351301

Banned
Duplex[edit]

Duplex means two channels are used: one in each direction.
Duplex channel systems transmit and receive on different discrete channels. This defines systems where equipment cannot communicate without some infrastructure such as a repeater, base station or Talk-Through Base. Most common in the US is a repeater configuration where a base station is configured to simultaneously re-transmit the audio received from mobile units. This makes the mobiles, or hand-helds, able to communicate amongst one another anywhere within reception range of the base station or repeater. Typically the base or repeater station has a high antenna and high power, which allows much greater range, compared with a ground vehicle or hand-held transceiver.
Duplex systems can be divided into two types. The term half-duplex refers to systems where use of a push-to-talk switch is required to communicate. Full duplex refers to systems like mobile telephones with a capability to simultaneously receive and transmit. Repeaters are by nature full duplex, most mobiles and almost all handhelds are half duplex.
Advantage: duplex channels usually allow repeater operation which extends range (in most cases due to increased transmit power and improved aerial location / height) - especially where hand-held radios are in use.
Disadvantage: If a radio cannot reach the repeater, it cannot communicate.

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
To keep it real simple. You need to be real close to hear the car audio. With an outside antenna I can get about a 30 mile range. The car uses one frequency and the base uses another frequency. Don't use a delay on both frequencies. Also program the base first then the car frequency in that order.

Status
Not open for further replies.