DSDPlus Feature Requests

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I'm starting a new thread for DSDPlus feature requests, with the hope that the author may actually read these forums.

I'll start off by adding my own request, the first one.

1. display information relevant to trunking afficionados

For trunked and conventional, whether you are sitting on a CC or a VC, display all of the really relevant information such as:

SysID / RFSS-Zone / Network ID
    NAC / RAN / Color Code
    Talkgroup / Radio ID

2. talkgroup / radio id information should always be available by default

Right now, when it is available it is often only available by increasing verbosity. I think it should be available by default. Then again, who cares what I think.

3. above information should be added to the Title Bar of DSDPlus

Perhaps this could be done with another toggle option, so that you don't have to try to catch this information as data is scrolling down the screen.

4. raw input via TCP

5. raw NXDN data dump

ref: http://forums.radioreference.com/2094190-post46.html

6. Display Group / Data call info

For any/all systems / modes where information is available to determine this

ref: http://forums.radioreference.com/2094465-post70.html

7. timestamps on output lines

8. switch-induced (-tu#, default -tu1) automatic fine tuning

This suggested fine tuning would automatically cycle through the dr, dh, ds, dd, dv limits and come up with the final 'best' number for a single iteration. Perhaps even additional iterations of the whole huge multi-loop process can be done via -tu#, where # is the number of full iterations you want it to go through. I'm fairly sure the author would understand what I'm getting at here.

Of course, some of that is a really tall order since this is a voice decoder, not a trunking application. SysID / RFSS-Zone would only be applicable if for some odd reason future versions were to support limited CC monitoring of a Type II or P25 control channel.

That initial list of suggested features / improvements should piss off the author just enough to guarantee that a new version never sees the light of day :)

NOTE: Many of the requests above would really be helped along if people who know the particulars about where to find that data / in what types of frames the data is found would post that information. I'm sure that in the case of DMR, the DMRDecode thread likely has a lot of those details, but I wouldn't expect the author to have to go through that thread to find out those things. If you're somebody who wants particular data to be displayed and you know where it is found in the various frames, try and post that information.

Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I'll add one - decryption support. If I know the key I should be able to plug it in somewhere and if I don't,
let me guess. For educational purposes only of course.. :)

-AZ

I guess I should have posted "sensible feature requests". Technical issues aside, I'm almost 100% positive that decryption is not an option.

Mike

Fizz306

Premium Subscriber
I'll add one - decryption support. If I know the key I should be able to plug it in somewhere and if I don't,
let me guess. For educational purposes only of course.. :)

-AZ

See below. If you really REALLY want to get into the world of decrypting encrypted P25 traffic, then you'll have to get used to linux and OP25.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wShOLgW2tmI

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
See below. If you really REALLY want to get into the world of decrypting encrypted P25 traffic, then you'll have to get used to linux and OP25.

World's cheapest P25 receiver w/ decryption: GNU Radio + OP25 + $20 RTL2832 DVB-T Dongle - YouTube

True, but it wasn't all that long ago when that was the case for receiving UN-encrypted radio traffic as well. Where there's a will there's a way. :)

I am LOVING this new DSD by the way. Whoever wrote it, I owe you a beer or two!
-AZ

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
I guess I should have posted "sensible feature requests". Technical issues aside, I'm almost 100% positive that decryption is not an option.

Mike

As another poster already mentioned, OP25 includes decryption support. Therefore, I don't see it as an unreasonable request. I'm not asking for it to figure out the key for me or anything like that. Just the ability to plug in a known key for a known trunk group. To be honest, if this new program was open source, I'd attempt to add that feature myself using the OP25 source as a guide.

At any rate however, this program is awesome and even if nothing else is ever added to it, I'm very happy with it. Combined with Unitrunker and SDR#, I now have a scanning computer that works better than any digital scanner I've ever used.

-AZ

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I'd be happy to see some talkgroup and radio ID displays for NXDN and DMR...especially NXDN, unless someone knows of a DMRDecode-like software that'll do so.

But I'm happy right now as well that the effort was put forth to create DSDPlus; it has really enhanced what was already a fun alternative to the mainstream of the hobby.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
I downloaded DSD Plus specifically for its NXDN 4800 trunking support. I'm extremely happy with its voice decode quality, but would love to get talkgroup ID and radio ID support, as well as site ID, system ID and site neighbor support down the line.

Speaking from experience, DMRDecode took the DMR standard as a starting point and ended up incorporating unknown packet types to support mototrbo trunking variants as we figured them out. The same thing could be done with NXDN, but it would be extremely helpful to have an option to display the unknown raw data packets in binary or hexadecimal form (much like DMRDecode does).

The alternative of course is the development of a DMRDecode style program for NXDN. :)

br0adband

Aside from most everything on mtindor's list in the OP above, the only thing I'd hope that could be implemented (which would be useful to me I suppose) would be to add a timer when doing a raw recording in the title bar - it already tells us currently that it's recording (as it switches back and forth from <REC> to DSD+) but I could really stand to know how long a recording has been underway considering that with extremely busy traffic that info in the command window is gonna scroll away to infinity really fast. ;)

Other than that I can't really think of much else, even in this first "public" release this too is just freakin' awesome.

slicerwizard

Ability to log and playback IMBE voice cells - either 144 or 88 bits per frame.
88 bits means no FEC. If that is done,

- frames with excessive Golay errors can't be written to file

- repeated frames have to be repeated to file

- muted frames will need to write an 88 bit pattern that indicates muting

This is similar to scanner CC dumps that don't include indications of dropped OSWs (due to framing or CRC errors) - how is a decoder to know not to combine adjacent OSWs that really aren't adjacent? Nicely done, Uniden and GRE...

tylerwatt12

Premium Subscriber
It would be really cool if it could have file naming extensibility.
DSD+ will read a config file, have variables like
(hours)
%h 1
%H 13
%tg (talkgroup)
%rid (RadioID)
Year, Month, Day, AM/PM, Hour, Minute, Second, Dayofweek, UNIX time, RID, TGID, NAC,
and so on.
So DSD would read a config file like 'C:\recordings\%YYYY\%MM\%DD\%UX %tg , %rid.mp3'
would write a file like c:\recordings\2014\01\01\1388577661 54389 1470829.mp3

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I've got another one...

The ability to mute audio on annoying talkgroups. The darned local TRBO ConnectPlus is full of school buses and taxi companies that are pretty chatty.

-mt##[,##] # mute talkgroup (eg: -mt30,45,102)

mike

mancow

Database Admin
That definitely would be nice for those of us with the legit key access. It would be a handy test feature too.

As another poster already mentioned, OP25 includes decryption support. Therefore, I don't see it as an unreasonable request. I'm not asking for it to figure out the key for me or anything like that. Just the ability to plug in a known key for a known trunk group. To be honest, if this new program was open source, I'd attempt to add that feature myself using the OP25 source as a guide.

At any rate however, this program is awesome and even if nothing else is ever added to it, I'm very happy with it. Combined with Unitrunker and SDR#, I now have a scanning computer that works better than any digital scanner I've ever used.

-AZ

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Another nice feature would be for the program to be able to pass analog voice. My local trunked system has P25 and conventional talk groups and I have noticed that some of the business freqs seem to have some analog voice in addition to DMR/NXDN.
I am not sure if there would even be a mechanism to make that work or not.....

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

mwaldron

I'd like to see the D-Star voice support added.

DSDPlus works so much better for me than the DSD Cygwin forks, but currently they have a rough cut of AMBE in DSD1.7 which shows great promise.

cg

Premium Subscriber
All the common P25 info with a P25 signal. Radio ID and Talkgroup ID would be great.

chris

RonnieUSA

Another nice feature would be for the program to be able to pass analog voice. My local trunked system has P25 and conventional talk groups and I have noticed that some of the business freqs seem to have some analog voice in addition to DMR/NXDN.
I am not sure if there would even be a mechanism to make that work or not.....

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
I would also like to see the analog voice passed threw.

kb1ipd

This might be asking a lot, but VSELP support would be awesome. If it were added for Moto Astro, I believe it would not be much more effort to extend it to iDen, but would require TDMA demodulating.

But covering an entirely different area of digital radio would be awesome.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
This might be asking a lot, but VSELP support would be awesome. If it were added for Moto Astro, I believe it would not be much more effort to extend it to iDen, but would require TDMA demodulating.

But covering an entirely different area of digital radio would be awesome.

I've never monitored a VSELP transmission. There aren't many active VSELP systems left are there? I mean isn't that pretty much a thing of the past except for perhaps a few cities?

Mike

D

dmb41crash

*P25 Phase 2 support*

There are enough of these P2 TDMA systems on the air now, with the TIA standard published for over 2 years, that we should have this in DSD and DSD+ at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.