St Charles County Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb0rpj

Feed Provider
Does Anyone know is the St Charles County sherriff P25 repeater System a simulcast system? or single site? I know i heard it well past warren county into and out of st louis this past weekend with none of the problems you typically encounter on a P25 simulcast system. maybe because its VHF?

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Does Anyone know is the St Charles County sherriff P25 repeater System a simulcast system? or single site? I know i heard it well past warren county into and out of st louis this past weekend with none of the problems you typically encounter on a P25 simulcast system. maybe because its VHF?

The FCC license shows at least 5 FB locations spread around the county and 1 mobile.
I assume they may be running a simulcast system or it is Multicast like they use out in Jefferson County.
They could also be using a voting system where only the transmitter that is hearing the best signal is used for replies and the others stay off the air.
I never see a change in their signal level though so I suspect they run them all.
They do have a good signal, that's for sure!
I have one P25 radio that will not pick them up for anything. Broken audio and a decode rate down near 10%. That may be an indicator of some type of simulcast system being used.
Most of my radios pick them up with near 100% decode rates though.
The radio that will not get them is an Icom R2500. The R2500 usually decodes P25 signals that scanners cannot even detect so I find it odd that the R2500 will not decode their single P25 channel with the good signal levels I get. I suspect it is a multipath issue with their frequency and the R2500. I live east of the county line be a few miles.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
They have a very powerful signal but my 396xt is horrible at decoding the signal. Pretty much horrible at decoding any multi-site TRS (except St Louis City and MOSWIN) And from what you guys said I guess it is a multi-site system. That could account for my poor decoding of their signal.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I may be lucky and am only picking up one tower but why the one radio that does such a fantastic job for all other P25 sites sucks on this system is a mystery! Unless it is just doing such a good job that it is picking up more of the towers compared to the scanners.
The Icom does have a much better front end in it compared to any of the scanners. The GRE's are more sensitive but they are also prone to bad pager interference due to poor or no internal filtering so VHF systems can be tricky with them. The GRE's work fine for St. Charles County Sheriff though with their P25 signals. And then the Uniden's all work just fine on this system also but they may be picking up only one tower due to the less sensitive front end.

kb0rpj

Feed Provider
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.1.2; SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/31.0.1650.59 Mobile Safari/537.36)

I normally start picking up st charles county in Montgomery county on 70 by the time I hit warren county it is soild decode I start having decode issues around 270/44 and by the time I get to the relatives near 255/55 i can't decode anything. If it hits down there its all garbled. I'm running a pro2096

It's simulcast from 5 sites. The Morse code ID is only sent from one. Technically, it's not a P25 system. It's Wide Pulse Astro, which lets them simulcast with fewer sites, but isn't the Queen's P25 because the signal is wider.

The FCC license shows at least 5 FB locations spread around the county and 1 mobile.
I assume they may be running a simulcast system or it is Multicast like they use out in Jefferson County.
They could also be using a voting system where only the transmitter that is hearing the best signal is used for replies and the others stay off the air.
I never see a change in their signal level though so I suspect they run them all.
They do have a good signal, that's for sure!
I have one P25 radio that will not pick them up for anything. Broken audio and a decode rate down near 10%. That may be an indicator of some type of simulcast system being used.
Most of my radios pick them up with near 100% decode rates though.
The radio that will not get them is an Icom R2500. The R2500 usually decodes P25 signals that scanners cannot even detect so I find it odd that the R2500 will not decode their single P25 channel with the good signal levels I get. I suspect it is a multipath issue with their frequency and the R2500. I live east of the county line be a few miles.
You could be in a place where there are a number of simulcast overlaps. The designer only looked inside the county for critical overlaps. It can get wonky outside the intended areas because the signals are arriving at different times and might be out of the tolerance for the decoding window. Also, the bandwidth of the signals is wider because of the scheme they chose to implement (Wide Pulse). Certain manufacturers' P25 two-way radios are too narrow to work reliably with it, especially in places with strong signal levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.