Interface foot pedal and 3-pin XLR mic to Powerwerx Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3KGD

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone,

I am trying to interface my existing foot switch and a three pin XLR mic to my Powerwerx DB-750X Mobile Radio. Does anyone know how to go about doing this?

I have attached the pin out of the radio in the thread.

Attachments

• 121.JPG
    121.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 840

N0IU

It does not appear as if anyone makes such a cable so you may have to end up making one yourself.

Although the connector (appears to be) a standard RJ45 which is the same as an ordinary ethernet cable, I wouldn't use an unshielded cable for audio applications.

If it were me, I would cut the microphone off of the existing hand mic (assuming you never wanted to use it again) or buy another hand mic from Powerwerx. Then open up the mic and see which wires go to the microphone element and which wires go to the switch. Or the other way would be to use a meter and see which wire goes to each pin on the RJ45 connector.

Once that is determined, you can put a ¼" inline jack on the wires that correspond to Pins 1 & 2 on the modular connector for the foot switch.

On XLR connectors, Pin 1 is the ground, Pin 2 is the positive and Pin 3 is the negative. You will want to tie Pins 1 and 3 on the XLR plug together and connect this to whatever wire corresponds to Pin 3 on the modular connetor. Pin 2 on the XLR will go to whatever wire corresponds to Pin 3 on the modular connector.

Easy!

DisasterGuy

The pin out is already known based on the attached image. Also the use of Cat 5 cable is VERY common in audio applications for moving 4 wire audio so I wouldn't even consider butchering a mic to do this.

You have a few options but if it were me I would use a simple surface mount box with three snap-in ports (leviton makes these and they can be found at Home Depot). Get a RJ-45, XLR and RCA or whatever your foot switch uses and make the cross connect in the surface mount box. Connect this to the radio with a standard Cat 5 jumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N3KGD

Premium Subscriber
Alright, thanks guys! Yeah, it was a lot easier than I thought. I thought it would be a bit more complicated for all the wiring. Got everything working just fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.