Nash Sheriff using 159.120 again

Status
Not open for further replies.

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
I like the Viper System, but I think you will see a lot of agencies that switched the system going back to their old systems. Because with the addition of personnel and additional cars and equipment their are not any more Viper Id's available till it goes to P25 9600 baud.

The last news letter the state sent out their were 2,800 requests to get on the Viper System. They are in no set priority order I think it is in a queue type deal one Viper Id gets turned in it goes to the next requester in line.

I figured that Edgecombe Sheriff would have piggybacked off the Tarboro 800 Mhz. that way they could at least have communications with Tarboro police.

Just my thoughts

David

reconrider8

with that in mind also me and another guy in my fire dept were talking a few months back and he brought up a valid point if you go to viper then you have to get permission from raleigh and the shp to even use a radio on their system unlike a vhf system where you can just buy a radio and using it on the system

tornado229

with that in mind also me and another guy in my fire dept were talking a few months back and he brought up a valid point if you go to viper then you have to get permission from raleigh and the shp to even use a radio on their system unlike a vhf system where you can just buy a radio and using it on the system

Yeah, sure does suck to go through all the trouble in asking permission to use a free system.

mhodgson

Actually, you arent asking permission to use the system each time you purchase a radio. Prior to the current situation, where there are simply no more available ID's to add radios, agencies that already arranged with VIPER to identify talk groups for their use simply sent in a request to add a radio, received the ID back from the state and the radios were activated. What a system like VIPER (or any other trunked radio system that is managed) does provide however, is a way for agencies to be able to manage who has access to their talk groups (effectively their channels) and prevents someone from just going out and buying a radio, as was the case in legacy systems (VHF/UHF), whereby programming it up and then commencing to talk. Coming from someone who has seen this first hand, outside of my "day job", its frankly a good thing in many cases since it prevents people that you DONT want talking on your channel from doing so.

As an aside, as we move into the next stage of VIPER with the transition mid year to P25, we are actually putting more emphasis on providing the counties with greater control over who has access to the system at the county level. The new process will provide a block of P25 ID's to each county for them to administer and assign as they see fit (within the agreement that the counties have with VIPER) and all we will do is act as the "turn on/turn off" mechanism for radios on the system. If the county doesnt support someone having a radio on VIPER and their talk groups, the decision as to who can and cant will come from the county level than from us. As we have seen over the past ten years, there are plenty of situations where the counties dont want certain people on the system and they are more likely to know who those folks are than VIPER is.

M

reconrider8

I agree with the fact that you don't want other people talking on the channel and such but it also hurts us because as of now we can't just go out and by a radio and use it. That's the up side and down side to a trunked system. Now I wonder if Nash will just use viper as an interop system since they arnt using it full time now

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
I agree with what Mike posted.

It is like the blue light issue here in North Carolina. Anyone can pick up a fire/police magazine and order a blue light without any authorization. Same thing with a badge people can order a badge and flash it and pretending to be a law enforcement officer.

Just like radios. Anybody with any electronic knowledge can order a radio and program it like they want to. Especially the European and other foreign models that allow front keypad programming.

I like the trunking idea, because it take a system key, which you don't get unless you are a system owner or a authorized agent for the system owner. I especially like the idea of being able to put the radio to sleep if it falls into the wrong hands.

I know one such county that had either a fire or ems radio stolen and the person that stole it and started cursing and calling in false alarms and such.

Just my thoughts

David

murrayustud

KI4DCR
Premium Subscriber
So back to the original topic here. Is Nash using Viper & 159.120 or just back to 159.120 entirely because I'm fairly certain I monitored them on their Viper TG this past week?

bigdoggg

I have not got anything on the 159.120 channel in a long time. Thought they had gone all Viper a few months ago and removed all the VHF radios from service. But they may have patched it back??? Ill monitor the 159.120 tomorrow and see if I hear anything.

RMPDCOP

Database Admin
Nash County is strictly using VIPER. At one point they were patching Sheriff comm's through the PD's VHF Frequency 155.595 but they removed it shortly there after. There are still some NCSO vehicles that have their VHF radios inside for interops with the local PD's but main comms are on VIPER.
So far only Nashville PD is the only local PD that has began the transition over to VIPER as they use both VHF in car 155.595 and VIPER, some in car and portables.

Last edited:

bigdoggg

To back up RMPDCOP

I check into it today. The patch was only temporary and all so operations are on viper. Nothing should be on the old so VHF channel. I put it back in my scanner and scanned it today also just to make sure and I have not heard anything.

WA4MJF

Could it be that they just went to the new system and the old system is still installed? Happened in Wake County when SO went on VIPER. Took about 4 years for all cars to be put out of service and those deputies used the VHF system to talk with one another until all the old cars were gone. Some even put in CBs to BS on.

RMPDCOP

Database Admin
I was just checking this morning. Yes the old VHF System is still installed. In my earlier post they still have the old VHF Mobiles in some of their vehicles along with VIPER. I believe they patched together 159.120 with the NCSO VIPER TG for the storm.
They may keep it patched for a few days.

WA4MJF

How long have they been on VIPER? It took Wake County about 4 years to cycle out the cars
with the VHF in after the VIPER was put in use. I remember asking Deputy about him still having
VHF, long after the change over and he said his job did not put many miles on car and he always
kept one way longer that most did.

Not a patch deal, they just talked on the old tac frequency.

Ronnie

bigdoggg

Hmm just turned the scanner on. I heard traffic on the VHF 159.1200 so I put another scanner on the viper dispatch channel. It's most definitely a simulcast patch! If you transmit on the vhf channel they can hear it on the viper channel and vice versa.
Most of all the SO units have the VHFs to communicate with other county resources such as fire and ems.

I don't know if they are planning to keep this patch. It seems to come and go. One week is there the next it's not...

Status
Not open for further replies.