GSP going digi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ButchGone

Does GSP gave plans to go digi on VHF high band? Any info or details about freqs, repeaters, etc? P25 phase one or two? Some GA posts have been about DNR Going that way on their repeaters.
BG..

lep

GSP Post 11 and Post 42 are P-25 Phase 1 on SEGARRN. Post 45 is on both SEGARRN and Bulloch county 800 MHz trunking system. AFAK, they still have the Old 2 freq VHF available but most of the traffic I hear from all 3 of these posts are on trunking. NIghthawks south enforcements unit heard also. Also the 4 digit Motor Vehicle compliance units heard here also as GSP provides dispatch service for them,

ButchGone

Outside of the areas where GSP uses local and regional 700/800 systems, where most of Georgia works on VHF high band, are there plans for GSP to migrate to either VHF DMR, P25 conventional or P25 phase1/2 or will they remain on analog two frequency simplex? Many counties have or are in the process of migrating to non P25 flavors of digital on VHF and UHF, so I'm wondering what the state wants to do.
BG..

lep

Your Question seems to presuppose that the State has a comprehensive "Master Plan" that spells out in some detail what is to be done. Previously worked myself for the State for a long time, IMHOP that is not the way it works. Such plans, when they exist at all, are subject to constant change because of Politics, Budgets, Grants, pressures from vendors, etc. Plans are often prepared by Consultants and recommendations are subject to Ethical policies of the State.
What this means is, the actual answer to your Question, "are there plans for GSP migrate to...?"
Nobody knows or is willing to say. And if they were, willing to say, the answer would be different by the time any radios were ordered. Sorry for a None Answer that is the reality of State dealings.

Sydney472

Comprehensive GSP freq etc.

Getting ready to program a unit as I've been away from scanning for a little bit. Where can I find an all inclusive list of all GSP freq/talk ID/ trunking freq etc. that may not be included in the Sentinel database.

If anyone is using Sentinel, what if any GSP do I need to add that are not in their current database. I've taken note of the new GSP freq that's mentioned in this thread and are there any others I should be aware of? Thanks a ton.

by the way, what are NAC's?

Thanks

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Network Access Code. NAC's are the P25 equivalent to an analog system's PL/DPL for conventional P25 systems, and used on some P25 TRS's for specific site access, whereas for total system access there is an WACN (P25 version of an Connect Tone). As for your Phase II queries: As there is no Phase II(TDMA) standard for conventional P25 as of yet, that would only apply to an Trunked Radio System. For exact TRS's used by GSP, you would need to do a quick look in each county listing in the db here and check each system's TG listings. In the not to distant future GSP will have interop capabilities in North GA with TN on the TACN.

Last edited by a moderator:

N8IAA

Just be aware, that the GSP in the north metro ATL, can talk to Gwinnett<albeit encrypted>, Hall on their system through the Event TGID's when they are running safety checks, etc., besides on the trunked systems that are listed in the database. Check the wiki here also for the latest updates to P-25 by many of the state's departments.
Larry

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
Just be aware, that the GSP in the north metro ATL, can talk to Gwinnett<albeit encrypted>, Hall on their system through the Event TGID's when they are running safety checks, etc., besides on the trunked systems that are listed in the database. Check the wiki here also for the latest updates to P-25 by many of the state's departments.
Larry

Very good point. All GSP troopers carry P-25 portables. If they are assigned to any post where there is a local TRS the troopers all have those system on their portables as is the case in Gwinnett, Dekalb, Cobb, Atlanta, Valdosta, Macon, Savannah, etc etc the list goes on. BUT their dispatch for the most part are the old VHF 2 channel system. It would be far less expensive for GSP to move to a P-25 VHF repeater for each post rather than a statewide TRS to be built.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Yes and this would keep everyone isolated. An Stateiwde TRS puts EMA, GSP, DOT, DNR (or GA's equivalent), Forestry, as well as every County having one system for interoperability. You may not have every agency in every County using it full time, but at least there would be a single platform for use, not ten different systems, for ten different State Agencies, and every City, County, Town etc all on there own systems....

I don't know about you, but I'd want my Public Safety Agencies to all be able to quickly and efficiently work together in an major event to help me than have them all spitting in the wind because they can't coordinate much less talk to each other.

Last edited by a moderator:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Yes and this would keep everyone isolated. An Stateiwde TRS puts EMA, GSP, DOT, DNR (or GA's equivalent), Forestry, as well as every County having one system for interoperability. You may not have every agency in every County using it full time, but at least there would be a single platform for use, not ten different systems, for ten different State Agencies, and every City, County, Town etc all on there own systems....

I don't know about you, but I'd want my Public Safety Agencies to all be able to quickly and efficiently work together in an major event to help me than have them all spitting in the wind because they can't coordinate much less talk to each other.

Georgia is not Indiana. We have these things called mountains in most of the northern part of the state. This makes constructing ANY statewide trunking system (especially on 700/800) very cost prohibitive. We have 159 counties, and most of them are considered rural (many with populations under 10,000 but still large geographically speaking). Building any large, complex radio network costs money. The state toyed with 800MHz trunking back in the 1990s, brought a few key sites online even.

Then the actual cost came in, and the state scrapped the project and decided that those jurisdictions who want 800MHz could buy their own systems and now, via ISSI, link them together. The GTA also used grant money to implement a statewide VOIP bridge between all 911 centers throughout the state known as GIN:

Georgia Interoperability Network: Georgia Tech Helps Craft a Swift, Sure Emergency Network | Georgia Tech Research News

So we have statewide interop if need be. VHF works fine and is in every sheriff vehicle and caches of VHF radios are available through the Georgia Mutual Aid Group (GMAG).

Of course, no amount of expensive technology can force people who don't want to work together to do so. Interoperability is a state of mind.

rapidcharger

All of those agencies you just mentioned, Milf, already have interop.
We have what is called stateband, an analog VHF conventional frequency (usually simplex). Just last week they were searching for a missing person in a jurisdiction with their own highfalutin 800 trunking system and they were on good ol' vhf. There was even an air unit involved. I heard it all go down with my own two ears and it apparently worked fine for the duration of their work. Heck we even have a large shopping mall on VHF, believed to be so that the security was able to interoperate with the police on VHF when they have a big event.

airforceflyr

In middle GA, I've begun to hear sporadic GSP mobiles on 155.4675 P25 NAC 460. This morning, I heard GSP Forsyth(dispatch) on 154.680 with the mobile unit responding on 155.4675 P25. No reply or simulcast heard on 154.800. Forsyth mobiles on 154.800 is a stretch distance wise for me which leads me to believe 155.4675 might be a repeater. What was Interesting is no sign of the dispatcher on 155.4675.

DC

As of today I can confirm that GSP in Carroll, Heard, Haralson, and Troup Counties are using 154.7025 P25 Nac:625.
Happy scanning
This is DC reporting from the deep, dark woods in south Carroll.

airforceflyr

154.920- GSP Griffin and Forsyth being heard here today.. P25 repeater. Mobile units heard as well.

This may tie up my previous report of 155.4625 (simplex) as the repeater input.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
If I don't program a NAC into my scanner (996XT), will I still be able to monitor the digital traffic on the frequency? (As in, if I don't program a PL code, I can hear all traffic regardless of PL)

Thanks!

ButchGone

This is precisely why I asked the original question about GSP going digital on VHF high band. Rather than getting bogged down with another "interoperability" ranting, can the Georgia admins please add a sticky to the Georgia forum for GSP migrating to digital? It would be nice to have a one-stop-shop for frequencies, NAC, info, etc rather than being scattered around.
So for the folks hearing GSP digital now, are there repeaters where you hear both sides of the conversation, or will they remain two-frequency simplex?
Thanks!
BG..

DC

Wirelessly posted (SCH-U350/1.0 NetFront/3.0.22.2.18 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

I've been hearing both GSP dispatch and units on 154.7025 nac: 625, Carroll, Heard, Troup and Coweta Counties.

ButchGone

After doing a little digging around in the FCC licenses for Georgia, it appears that for right now the only areas licensed to use P25 are in west central Georgia. Most are using 154.7025 as repeater output, with the Forsyth post on 154.920. All digi sites appear to use 155.4675 as the repeater input for the trooper cars. Interesting to note that the traditional Georgia hi band frequencies are also listed to operate P25 (154.680, 154.800, 154.905, 154.935, 155.370, 155.475) for these west central Georgia posts.
The rest of the GSP posts in the state have licenses recently renewed that only show analog emissions, like northwest Georgia. Hmmm...
BG..

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Though we have lost "goodplumb" here, check the ScanAtlanta yahoogroups list, he has been posting many GSP as well as other VHF P25 frequencies there!

Status
Not open for further replies.