PRO 96 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

WINNSBORO1

I have a Pro 96 that has lost receive sensitivity. Was told it was possibly the BNC connector needed resoldering. I opened it up and the connector is covered by a metal shield. Has anyone replaced/repaired the BNC connector on this scanner and how was it done or, does anyone have any help on the receive problem.
All ideas and help appreciated.

minasha

Hi,
If you don't have any previous experience on doing this you can easily ruin the PC board and trash the radio. There are tricks on how to separate and re solder the shield.
First you have to understand the BNC solder connection is not necessarily your problem. It can be component failure in the RF section, so I think it best that you find a qualified technician who can repair it. Selling it cheap as a "Needs repair" is also an option.

KokomoScanner

Premium Subscriber
I am also having the same issue. Today it got scratchy, now will not pick up anything inside. Works outside fine. Would also like to know who might fix this!!??

KokomoScanner

Premium Subscriber
I just had mine fixed. (PRO-96) The wire had broken loose. Symptom: good reception outside, none inside. As long as you understand that your problem might not necessarily be what mine was. He did a fantastic job on mine. I can forward your e-mail to him and you can work something out. (Yes he's an electrician). Hardest problem was getting to it, so dont be too stingy. Lots of solder.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 370
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 322

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
That is one of the GRE scanner issues that used to be the bane of owners. It is most common on the 92's with the tiny connection at the antenna popping loose. Its not as common on the 96's as the "Drifting" issues, but is an easy fix once identified. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.