ICIS Pomona

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmckee909

Premium Subscriber
I don't know if this is the correct place to post as I know this has been covered, but after reading through several different threads, and trying multiple programming setups, it has become painfully obvious that I don't know what I'm doing.
Anyways I'm trying to monitor Pomona, CA from the Ontario/Upland area. I am using a pro 96 with arc 96 software and RR import. From the database import pomona always comes setup configured as mot., and picks up nothing at all. If I change to apco25 the scanner will stop on the control channel with noise, and every so often on one of the other frequencies with digital gargled noise with intermittent clear audio. I have ran the setup on the pro96com software and I dget alot of information that I still don't know what to do with. I have tried several different custom tables, which I have found here, all with similar results. Do I need a different scanner? Or am I doing something wrong? I am very frustrated at this time, as I have spent the better part of the last few days on this with no luck. Thank You in advance for any information regarding this matter.

bmckee909

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Paco-Jerte for offering to sell me a program file for the pro96. My concern is that after paying for his services I would end up with the same program settings I already tried. I am just looking for information regarding this system. I believe I can do the programming myself. I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

N8IAA

I don't know if this is the correct place to post as I know this has been covered, but after reading through several different threads, and trying multiple programming setups, it has become painfully obvious that I don't know what I'm doing.
Anyways I'm trying to monitor Pomona, CA from the Ontario/Upland area. I am using a pro 96 with arc 96 software and RR import. From the database import pomona always comes setup configured as mot., and picks up nothing at all. If I change to apco25 the scanner will stop on the control channel with noise, and every so often on one of the other frequencies with digital gargled noise with intermittent clear audio. I have ran the setup on the pro96com software and I dget alot of information that I still don't know what to do with. I have tried several different custom tables, which I have found here, all with similar results. Do I need a different scanner? Or am I doing something wrong? I am very frustrated at this time, as I have spent the better part of the last few days on this with no luck. Thank You in advance for any information regarding this matter.

If you are trying to monitor the old system, you'll need to put in the custom tables.
The new system, should be imported as P-25 Auto.
HTH,
Larry

bmckee909

Premium Subscriber
When I import Pomona from the database under icis p25 I select the Pomona site and Pomona talk groups. Every time I do it configures the system for mot. The arc 96 program has the following options under the mode tab; am, fm/p25, mot, edacs, ctcss, and dcs. After importing and setting the mutli tables as follows; #1 380, 580, 380, 469.0500, 12.5 #2 581, 759, 581, 482.500, 12.5, the scanner won't pick up anything. If I change the mode from mot to fm/p25 with everything else the same, the scanner stops on the control channel with static. If I keep hitting scan every once in a while it will stop on one of the other channels with intermittent audio and gargled noise. Never do I see a talk group id when the scanner stops. On manual mode with the scanner set to mot I can see a %xx that is always changing on the control channels. What is this? What should I expect the % value to be. What else should I look for to resolve thi?

bmckee909

Premium Subscriber
What previous thread? I haven't seen it either. Whatever it is you are talking about.

jazzbassNick

Feed Provider
I had posted a link to the Greater LA/Pomona Police thread and thought it had pretty good info for you, but then saw you had already posted there (and your settings posted in this thread seem to line up with the ones suggested there).

forums manager

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Thanks Paco-Jerte for offering to sell me a program file for the pro96.
This violates our rules so if members are doing this please report the PM by clicking the warning triangle at the upper right.

I'll also move this to the CA LA Regional forum.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Pomona cell was upgraded and is full P25 now.

I don't know about the Pro-96, but on the Pro-106 all you have to do is select P25 Auto.
No special tables are needed as with the previous SmartZone system. The Pro-106 would automatically commence tracking.

I assume you have the 6 Pomona site frequencies, and the new P25 talkgroups (old SmartZone ones are no good any longer) correctly loaded in your scanner?
Interagency Communications Interoperability System (ICIS): Project 25 Trunking System, Los Angeles County, California - Scanner Frequencies

While at it depending on what part of town you are in can you successfully receive and monitor the Pasadena P25 system?

bmckee909

Premium Subscriber
So I tried again, still having trouble. Using the RR import I selected the Pomona site and talk groups for bank 1, and Pasadena for bank 2. After the import, the mode selection into the arc96 program still comes thru as mot. I don't know if that's what it should be but neither bank is working. Scanner never stops. I tried changing the mode to fm/p25 with the same results as before, the scanner stopping on the control channels with static only.

bmckee909

Premium Subscriber
I forgot to mention that every once in a while when I do here clear audio it is always on one of the six Pomona frequencies, which is 482.1625. I have heard small bits of audio from Pomona as well as Pasadena on this frequency while trying to monitor only the Pomona site.

bmckee909

Premium Subscriber
I also tried importing frequencies for the Glendora site into another bank with the same results. Scanner never stops. As far as my location goes I'm probably about 5 miles due east of Pomona and 7 to 10 miles southwest of Glendora. Maybe 30 miles east of Pasadena.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
I just Googled around and based on comments from around the country, looks like the Pro-96 does not have the ability to track these newer P25 systems by using the control channel data feed as other models like Pro106 can.

As result appears one must designate a custom table similar to the older SmartZone to aid the Pro-96 to track the system correctly.

I'm wondering where you got the custom table you are using?
The ICIS P25 sites listed in our Db don't have custom tables defined, so you cant be downloading them from RR.
Interagency Communications Interoperability System (ICIS): Project 25 Trunking System, Los Angeles County, California - Scanner Frequencies

Are you are using the old Mot II SmartZone ones?
Interagency Communications Interoperability System (ICIS) Trunking System, Various, California - Scanner Frequencies
Not sure if they are applicable since the Pomona site was upgraded to P25.

=

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I also tried importing frequencies for the Glendora site into another bank with the same results. Scanner never stops. As far as my location goes I'm probably about 5 miles due east of Pomona and 7 to 10 miles southwest of Glendora. Maybe 30 miles east of Pasadena.

Oh yeah those older Radio Shack Pro96 radios are pretty old. I recommend that you purchase a new radio either Uniden or wait until Whistler releases some new versions of the Radio Shack brand.

Its worth the extra money than pulling your hair out trying to program a radio and never hearing anything. I have never had any trouble programming ICIS P25 or ICIS system.

With ICIS P25 you won't need to use any custom table. But on ICIS system you will need a custom table and all of my newer radios both work on all of the systems and I live in OC

bmckee909

Premium Subscriber
Ok thanks, I have been considering purchasing a newer radio. I was trying to find out if anyone is able to monitor the newer Pomona system with the pro96. I did see another thread that talked about adjusting the vr4 trimpot while monitoring the % decoding. I did try this as well. I can see the % changing while adjusting vr4 but it never stays steady and I don't ever see anything higher then 60%. Very unstable, most of the time when a value pops up it goes right back to 0. When I go to the control channel on one of the other systems I use, the % value stays consistently in the 90%-99% range. Pomona is the only one I have this problem with. It is frustrating

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
If you can pickup the Montebello cell site then use that site if you are within range. Pomona PD Blue 1 is on this site as others too.

Program your radio to the ICIS site and use a custom table on your radio.

lower freq 481.55 upper frew 484.7875 step 12.5 and offset 500

Just a thought.

jlanfn

California Database Admin
The Pro-96 is capable of monitoring P25 trunked systems, and there was a thread in the past where another user was able to start monitoring the Pasadena Cell with a Pro-96. FYI, downloading the system from RadioReference.com to your Pro-96 will not give you the correct custom trunking table. That is why I added the correct custom trunking table to the ICIS P25 Wiki page.

The above link gives you the necessary data to correctly program the Pasadena Cell, but the programming is the same for the Pomona Cell. Just change the control channel frequencies from the Pasadena to the Pomona Cell control channel frequencies.

Let us know if this helps you.

bmckee909

Premium Subscriber
I have seen the link on the Wiki page. The arc96 program is slighty different than the picture in the link. I have tried the values you showed in the first line,out of six, in the multi-tables tab. I also used 4096 as channel low and 8191 as channel high. The ch. hi/lo values are not shown in the picture that is in the link above, but every other table I have seen has ch. lo same as offset and the ch. hi value I found in the pro96 com. document. I also tried importing the pasadena site and the changing the frequencies to the Pomona ones as you suggested. Still nothing. I would post the p96 file here but I can't figure out how to do that either!

bmckee909

Premium Subscriber
Ok here we go trying to add an attachment with the p96 file. Also to LA Flyer all of the custom multi-tables I have tried came from the information I have found here in the various threads I found. The file I'm trying share has only the first line in the mutli-table with the data that was on the Wiki page that I have been reffered to.

Attachments

• pomona icis.zip
    742 bytes · Views: 74
Status
Not open for further replies.