Cache County Going Encrypted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire822

Feed Provider
This was in Sunday's paper. Look's like Logan Police recived a grant for encryption software and hardware.

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    127 KB · Views: 153

tbogs

Thats interesting....wonder why in Cache County that would be going on? I know that here in Salt Lake we have a several encrypted channels. Several belong to West Valley PD and others belong to various agencies that I haven't figured out yet. Guess we shall see how this plays out.

kf7yn

In addition to West Valley, the Metro Task Force and Weber/Morgan Task Force as well as LifeFlight are also encrypted.

kc7rhw

Encrypted

Lets hope that they will keep the main dispatch channels open and not encrypted everything
I think there is no reason to encrypt radios, people should stop broadcasting scanner's on the internet
What could be going on in cache valley that they want to encrypted any way.
maybe only encrypt tac channels or some car to car stuff but , they should leave the main dispatch alone.

Observer1

Lets hope that they will keep the main dispatch channels open and not encrypted everything
I think there is no reason to encrypt radios, people should stop broadcasting scanner's on the internet
What could be going on in cache valley that they want to encrypted any way.
maybe only encrypt tac channels or some car to car stuff but , they should leave the main dispatch alone.

I think everyone on here gets a bit touchy about encryption.

No one has said they are going to encrypt, but rather thst they're getting equipment that can

Motorola has ended support and parts production for most of the radio systems currently used in Utah, so as time goes by everyone will be upgrading to systems that are capable of encryption as that is the new standard.

Now, the expensive end of encryption is the field side, and it's unlikely many agencies will acquire enough radios to allow every channel to be encrypted. But there are instances where encryption is necessary, especially as I know there have been a couple incidents lately of an unknown user suddenly keying up on police frequencies during a critical event.

kc7rhw

Encrypted

well I just due not want my 600 dollar radio to be a paper weight with nothing to scan but boring channels that all

AD7ZW

Have had encryption in the Uintah Basin for 20+ years. 99% of the traffic is sent in the clear.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.