BCD436HP Edac Beep

Status
Not open for further replies.

spooney

My BCD436HP has the same problem that my HomePatrol-1 has. With the batteries installed I get one full beep after every transmission. Take the batteries out and run on USB cable and the beep is gone. This was reported about the HomePatrol-1 back in 2011 but no firmware update ever resolved the problem.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
EDACS problems with the BCD436HP

Good afternoon.

I'm actually relieved to hear I'm not the only person having problems monitoring an analog EDACS system with the 436!

I listen to a federal trunked system (406 - 409 MHz) in northern New Mexico that comes in strong and clear on my 396XT, 396T, PSR-500, and PSR-800. The 436, however, is essentially deaf--unless I'm outside and have a clear line of sight to the transmitter.

I've duplicated the settings in the 436 that enable the other radios to receive the system's signals indoors just fine (EDACS-wide, NFM, 2-second hold, etc.) with no luck whatsoever. Like yourselves, I'm also hearing the EDACS beeps after transmissions for varying lengths of time.

The 436 does very well on non-EDACS trunked systems in the area and seems to be reasonably sensitive to conventional analog and P25 signals (with the possible exception of aircraft, which the other radios seem to receive just fine).

For the record, I've got the 436 and 396XT sitting next to me and running side-by-side with identical antennas (Comet HT55's). The 436 is acting like its attenuator is on (it's not) for aircraft and the aforementioned EDACS system; everything else seems okay.

I appreciate that Paul Opitz and the folks at Uniden kept the price of the 436 as low as they did, but I'm beginning to suspect that they were really focused on P25 systems and may have cut some corners when it came to analog systems.

If any of this can be addressed by a firmware update, I'm heading for the nearest chapel and lighting some candles right now!

Thanks for listening . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.