Jackson, MS Police may have questions to answer thanks to Scanner Recordings!

Status
Not open for further replies.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
WJTV, News 12 posted this interesting tidbit so very related to all of us.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151948531545509

Recently, News Channel 12 obtained a recording of police scanner traffic from the Jackson area—a recording that suggests some members of the Jackson police department may not be playing by the rules. Tonight at 6pm, listen to key parts of the recording. Then, watch as WJTV’s Byron Brown investigates—talking with JPD and legal experts to get you answers. It’s a story you’ll find only on WJTV.

Last edited by a moderator:

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
This reminds me of a case when I was an intern at a DHR office in Alabama working on when I was in college years ago. We had a report of a child at a residence that was reported was beaten due to child abuse. We went to the city housing complex where she lived. Once there we knocked and no one came to the door. So the police officer said "I think I smell a natural gas leak, we need to get in". We all knew at the time there was no gas leak. The police officer called the city dept of housing authority and they opened the door for us. We went inside to look for the child.The child was not there. The policeman never checked for a gas leak . He used it as a way to get in the house. We walked back outside and the mother walked up with the child she went walking arround the block. The child was ok and the case was closed. the police man did tell me that if the mother complained there was nothing she could do becuase the city owned the house she was living in.

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
I love how a group of Police Officers break the LAW that they swore to uphold and then possibly get saved and covered up by encryption. This happens everyday across the Country and a sad excuse for Police Officers.

These are the "Cops" that make the real Police look bad.

This is also the real reason for departments getting the encryption. I do not care what anyone say's. Having swat/ drug channels covered is one thing but all channels just shows there is something to hide.IMO.

mikepdx

"To be perfectly honest with you it sounded like it was well intended, but a
well-intended violation is still a violation." -
Assistant Chief Vance

Interesting how he refers to a conspiracy to violate
citizen's civil rights as a "well-intended violation".

I call it a felony.

Last edited:

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Yet another example of the media crapping where they eat. When will we learn? :roll:

I'll be very surprised if the agency in question doesn't encrypt their communications as a direct result of this report. It's happened out here in Phoenix. The "company line" was that the move was made for officer safety, but in reality it was straight up media retaliation. Idiots....
-AZ

MississippiPI

Premium Subscriber
It's not that they need to encrypt or anything like that, the officers hadn't done anything a lot of cops haven't done; they were too smart to talk about it on what they call primary channel, they could have talked about it on another channel like tac or special ops.

Be safe

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
It's certainly not right by any means, but I bet it happens everywhere, all the time. This group just wasn't overly bright and discussed it over the air. I can only imagine the things that get discussed on encrypted channels that aren't monitored by the Comm Centre.

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
It's certainly not right by any means, but I bet it happens everywhere, all the time. This group just wasn't overly bright and discussed it over the air. I can only imagine the things that get discussed on encrypted channels that aren't monitored by the Comm Centre.

This is exactly why some PD's have done away with Encrypted channels or limited them to only certain groups, at least in our area.

sc800

Or the things that go on when officers THINK frequencies are encrypted. Some have had unpleasant surprises when they found out Individual Call doesn't mean encryption.

Para078

Premium Subscriber
At first I thought Precinct 2 got caught setting up dope deals.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
A little background on JPD Comms:

JPD has 5 Precincts.
Each Precinct has the following TG's:
Primary (JPD 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Car to Car (1 - 5)
TAC (1 - 5)
SWAT/Special Ops (1 - 5)
There is also Citywide INFO, and Traffic Enforcement/Crash Investigations
Then you have various Detective/Investigations TG's for Robbery/Homicide, Narcotics, Gangs, Interop with Hinds County SO, Vice, etc....

As far as we know there has never been encryption on any JPD TG, even back when they were on EDACS, they never once used Aegis Encryption.

If you ever monitor the Car to Car TG's.. You will hear plenty of boneheaded, unprofessional, crude, rude, downright nasty talk sometimes. Thats what this TG is for compared to the use of tactical, SWAT, and main dispatch TG's.

On every LEA, there are unsavory elements, after all, they are all only human. But the few really bad apples that make them all look bad, do a very good job of showing off their stupidity for all to see. And the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I do wish I could say this was not common for JPD, but from personal experience both knowing a lot of officers (Probably long since former by now), as well as years of monitoring them daily when I lived there... This type of behavior is a deep cancer that at least 3 Police Chiefs, and 2 mayors tried to deal with, unsuccessfully I am sad to say.

SCPD

QRT
Yet another example of the media crapping where they eat. When will we learn? :roll:

I'll be very surprised if the agency in question doesn't encrypt their communications as a direct result of this report. It's happened out here in Phoenix. The "company line" was that the move was made for officer safety, but in reality it was straight up media retaliation. Idiots....
-AZ

I agree that this will end up pushing more depts to encrypt. But in the same turn this is why there should not be any encryption at all on police channels. People should have a right to monitor their public service agencies for this very reason. Fraud and abuse. The police are supposed to be protecting the citizens of their community not violating their rights. After all who is policing the police? It should be the people who are paying them. I congratulate every police chief who decides not to encrypt! Their should be open transparency between local government and the people they work for. If there is fraud and abuse within a department lets fix it...not hide it!

Status
Not open for further replies.