BCD436HP: is it really worth the money

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Hi everyone, since my PSR 800 died a month ago, I've been looking for a new scanner and I'm really considering the 436HP. But my question is, is it really worth the $620 CAN?

I know there has been a lot of reported bugs with it, but on the other hand I like the Phase ll capability. (Have a few P2 systems out were I am)

Any feedback would be much appreciated....

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Essexscan

IMO every penny but my 436hp has been trouble free from day-1 and works great. maybe wait for a Uniden reman comes out to save a few bucks

DannB

Premium Subscriber
It's worth the $$$$$$

I have had mine for two weeks now, still learning all the features .But if your looking for opinions, then YES its worth the $$. This is a amazing unit. The fact that you can be listening in a matter of 3min. is just awesome. When I bought the unit in south jersey i turned it on for the ride home all the way up in north Jersey, all i did was add a few zip codes and BAM!! I was hearing all the radio traffic in the area I was in..Ofcourse you are able to fine tune what you want to hear with the included software and the RR Database.such a nice feature . Also I DID NOT do any firmware updates since I turned it on out of the box,and the unit is working with absolutely NO issues..well there is my 2cents...Good luck my friend hope ya make the purchace..

calking

Despite following most of the posts regarding some issues and complaints with the BCD436HP I felt confident enough in Uniden to purchase a BCD436HP. (I have owned several scanner models from Undien in the past and never ever had a issue) .

I ordered it from Radioworld in Toronto at the $620 price. Received the unit within 10 days, Installed the Sentinel software, turned it on,completed the firmware upgrade, downloaded the RR data base. put in postal code. Purchased the Butel ARC536Pro Software (Beta) version, installed it with no issues.

The BCD436HP has been running 24/7 now since February 26th. either plugged into my laptop or taking it portable and in my vehicle. I have not had one issue. Everything is working fine. I am Spending time now fine tuning it, despite all the posts regarding problems etc. I would recommend this Scanner ..

Kevinbb

PSAP-Retired
Premium Subscriber
$$$ go for it

Its worth the money. Most of the issues you're seeing are self made and lack of patience. It took me sometime to learn it and the sentenial software, but other than the squelch tail that the recent firmware update took care of, MY 436 has been working flawlessly. Actually, It blows my 800 out of the water reception wise. In the house, its about par with the 800 but in the car on my mag mount, I'm picking up stuff my 800 never picked up. Its also nice having a key pad again. You'll need to get use to the display, its big and I wish the fonts were a bit bigger but its workable. I love my 800, but Uniden won me back from the 396xt with the 436

SCPD

QRT
Its worth the money. Most of the issues you're seeing are self made and lack of patience. It took me sometime to learn it and the sentenial software, but other than the squelch tail that the recent firmware update took care of, MY 436 has been working flawlessly. Actually, It blows my 800 out of the water reception wise. In the house, its about par with the 800 but in the car on my mag mount, I'm picking up stuff my 800 never picked up. Its also nice having a key pad again. You'll need to get use to the display, its big and I wish the fonts were a bit bigger but its workable. I love my 800, but Uniden won me back from the 396xt with the 436

Thanks Kevin, sounds like your having a good time with it.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Sitting here in Cape Cod listening to my 436. Seems to be doing a great job all around. Does a very good job on my local utility P25 VHF trunked system back in New York. I say it's worth it.

WB2KTG

Let's say the BD396XT is a good scanner and is a good value at almost the same price point as the '436. Now, with the '396, let's add the entire HP-1 database scheme, let's add discovery functions, let's add analysis functions (to be released sometime soon), let's add real time clock / calendar to time tag recordings and events, let's wrap it all up in a package that's about the same size as the Icom IC-R20 or AOR 8200 receivers. Put a bigger display screen on it and don't increase the price over the '396. Oh, and before I forget, get rid of the archaeic USB-1 cable scheme used by the '396, use a plain ol' vanilla USB cable. And, add the additional decoding modes. Who wouldn't buy one? I've got one, I've got a '396 also. The '396 fits in my pocket a little better. Other than that, the '436 is better in ALL respects and well worth an upgrade. Just my $.02...

Last edited:

buggiecar

W1COD
Premium Subscriber
Hi everyone, since my PSR 800 died a month ago, I've been looking for a new scanner and I'm really considering the 436HP. But my question is, is it really worth the $620 CAN?

Yes it is! I have had mine almost a month and I am hearing things I could not before...CT SPD is nicer and clear as well as several other systems I monitor. The ARC software is in beta but they are stable so you can tweak the lists without going nuts to do so! I like it so much I bought a 536 as well....we'll see how it shakes out.

Hit_Factor

I upgraded from the PSR-500 to the 436, no regrets. I really like the location control. I really just listen when I'm on the road. However, for the last month I have it on my desk each evening while I optimize favorites list for the best performance and capture UID:'s.

It's really nice not being limited to a certain number of objects in each scan list.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
Maybe worth it, but it sure would be nice if it worked better. I'm still hoping Uniden comes out with a "Pro" or "Work" version that actually works well on P25 simulcast like a real radio. I'm missing lots of traffic even if I do everything just right with antenna selection and placement.

KB2RSK

BCD436HP It's a learning Curve

I just received my 436 2 days ago.
To be honest with you after having it for a half a day I was ready to package it back up and send it back.
I am 61 years of age and have been in the communications hobby since the age of 14.
I haven't upgraded my scanner radios in quite a while.
I was especting,for the money,a more user friendly, better built, smaller size scannerr.

After reading the manual , charging up the 3 AA batteries, and entering the correct needed information , I am ey happy with the purchase.

Yes it was frustrating at first. But as they say, Always read the instruvtion manaul first.

There are some curves and head scratching decsions you need to make as you enter the needed information before you start to receive. But once you get through this process I think you will find the. 436 as a resonable purchase.

Again I'am at age 61, and maybe some one at a younger age may hurdle through the instruction manual quicker.

But over all. I am pleased.

Feel free to contact me privately if more questions

I am good in QRZ. Under. KB2RSK
73's

troymail

Silent Key
While no guarantee, the best answer to your question needs to come from someone local to you that can confirm that what you want to listen to actually works. Systems are varied, usage by various users is varied, location still makes a difference.

I'm sure you've seen the wildly varying reports from users - everything from it works great to I'm sending this thing back. This tells the story. I've also seen comments like "your milage may vary".

Bottom line is if you can't find a local and try it first hand with them before your purchase, the only way to know for sure is to buy one and hope for the best. To be safe, find a vendor with a good return policy.

WB2KTG

KB2RSK-

I am only 64 years old and just picked up the new Uniden twins. Reading the manual was somewhat frustrating, so I checked YouTube. UPMan has several excellent videos on there. The one which got me straightened out was his demonstration of setting up a favorites list using Sentinel. Again, at age 64, I find many good videos on YouTube covering everything the manual didn't help me with. I also got the Butel beta, and I expect it'll be as useful with the twins as it was on the 396XT.

Bob

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I really liked the 436HP until the last firmware update. Now with ver 1.03.00 my sensitivity is really crappy. No the attenuator is not on, and the antenna connection is fine, but across the spectrum from VHF, UHF, to 800 Mhz, using the same antennas for each respective band on the 396XT vs. 436HP, the 396XT is more sensitive hands down. This was not the case before the last firmware update for the 436HP. I did head-to-head comparisons today between both units, and the difference between the 396XT and 436HP in picking up weaker signals was striking.
Also did head-to-head with the 436HP vs 536HP, same antennas, etc. Again, the difference was striking, with the 436HP having much lower sensitivity. This was not the case with prior version firmware. Then I could use a paper clip on the 436HP and pick up quite a bit of stuff, but not now.
Yes, I love the built-in recording features of 436HP, like the bigger screen, and the 436HP is probably better at decoding one particularly difficult P25 system in this area. But the reduced sensitivity (actually poor) is now a disappointment. Hoping there is a way to go back in firmware version, or another update fixes this issue. May be different for others, but this is my experience with 436HP in the Los Angeles basin.
Steve AA6IO

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
As of today HRO---Phx now has the 436. eeeep! Now I have to decide if I want to lay out the money...plus hope they strill have them in stock when I'm able to get there in two weeks. Birthday gift for myself maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.