Los Angeles Regional Interoperable Communications System (LA-RICS) - Master Thread

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
The intent of this thread is to serve as unified location to discuss and post frequency and talkgroup information for the Los Angeles Regional Interoperable Communications System known as LA-RICS.

Early proof of design concept testing at some core sites has commenced as of March 2014. Noted so far;

System: 69F
NAC:690
Site 5
477.450-CC
Adjacent sites 01, 02, 03, 04, 11, 12 ,13.

The LA-RICS data page in the RR database can be found at:
Los Angeles Regional Interoperable Communications System (LA-RICS) Trunking System, Los Angeles County, California - Scanner Frequencies

For a little background:
LA-RICS is intended to serve as a comprehensive interoperable public safety communication system in Los Angeles County. As of early 2014, the LA-RICS Joint Powers Authority compromised of 86 member cities and agencies.

LA-RICS will be made up of two parts:
1) Land Mobile Radio (LMR) voice network utilizing pool of over 320 participant agency UHF/700Mhz frequencies across 88 radio sites in the LA Basin. More specifically the LMR system is expected to compromise of the following:
o Primary Digital Trunked Voice Radio System (DTVRS). A hybrid design that incorporates P25 Phase II voice communications network on both UHF and 700Mhz bands.
o Analog Conventional Voice System (ACVRS). Consist of primarily of 22 UHF frequencies for LACoFD
o Narrowband Mobile Data Network (NMDN). Operate on UHF channels and provide CAD connectivity
o Los Angeles Regional Tactical Communications Subsystem (LARTCS). Provide connectivity with non LA-RICS member public safety agencies on legacy VHF/UHF and 800Mhz frequencies

2) A Public Broadband Network "PSBN" also know as LTE broadband data network which will utilizing pool of 231 communication sites. PSBN offers public safety grade wireless capability for applications such as voice over internet, ePatient care records, streaming video, GIS, and IP based CAD capability.

Motorola is the selected vendor for both.

=

forums manager

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm Stickying this thread. As the OP states, The intent of this thread is to serve as unified location to discuss and post frequency and talkgroup information for the Los Angeles Regional Interoperable Communications System known as LA-RICS..

Please do not use this thread to ask how to program your scanner, or any topic unrelated to sites/frequencies or talkgroups. Start your own thread otherwise your post may be deleted without warning. If you feel you do not understand the intent of the request it's best you start your own thread. Thanks for your cooperation!

icis_monitor

I think the first question that comes up from this and them being up on the air now, where does this leave the ICIS system? I have looked at the paperwork on both web sites for ICIS and LA-RICS and cant figure out where it is all going and if theyre going to join together or stay seperate.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
ICIS will keep getting built out and the cities that are currently part of ICIS will stay and future cities that are on track will continue to grow with ICIS.

Other surrounding cities and counties will end up going with LA-RICS. LASO, LA County Services, LA County Fire most likely, not sure about LA City Fire or LAPD yet.

But it will be interesting to see how this system builds out and how much of it will be in the clear and encrypted.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
ICIS continues to do its thing.
LA-RICS consultants recommended and member cities have asked for development of means to provide interoperability between the systems. We will have to see how things pan out as there is significant overlap between current ICIS members and LA-RICS JPA cities. Some cities have expressed concern about funding for both when they only operate on one.

Regarding specific agencies. According to documents LASD, LACoFD will be on LA-RICS. County services will be on the soon to be P25 upgraded CWIRS. LAPD will remain on its conventional P25 system, with LAFD still up in the air.

The LA-RICS JPA member agencies are:
1. City of Agoura Hills
2. City of Alhambra
3. City of Arcadia
4. City of Artesia
5. City of Avalon
6. City of Azusa
7. City of Baldwin Park
8. City of Bell
9. City of Bell Gardens
10. City of Bellflower
11. City of Beverly Hills
12. City of Bradbury
13. City of Burbank
14. City of Calabasas
15. City of Carson
16. City of Cerritos
17. City of Claremont
18. City of Commerce
19. City of Compton
20. City of Covina
21. City of Culver City
22. City of Downey
23. City of Duarte
24. City of El Monte
25. City of El Segundo
26. City of Gardena
27. City of Glendale
28. City of Glendora
29. City of Hawaiian Gardens
30. City of Hawthorne
31. City of Hermosa Beach
32. City of Hidden Hills
33. City of Huntington Park
34. City of Industry
35. City of Inglewood
36. City of Irwindale
37. City of La Cañada Flintridge
38. City of La Habra Heights
39. City of La Mirada
40. City of La Puente
41. City of La Verne
42. City of Lakewood
43. City of Lancaster
44. City of Lawndale
45. City of Long Beach
46. City of Los Angeles
47. City of Lynwood
48. City of Manhattan Beach
49. City of Maywood
50. City of Monrovia
51. City of Montebello
52. City of Monterey Park
53. City of Norwalk
54. City of Palmdale
55. City of Palos Verdes Estates
56. City of Paramount
57. City of Pasadena
58. City of Pico Rivera
59. City of Pomona
60. City of Rancho Palos Verdes
61. City of Redondo Beach
62. City of Rolling Hills Estates
63. City of Rosemead
64. City of San Dimas
65. City of San Fernando
66. City of San Gabriel
67. City of San Marino
68. City of Santa Clarita
69. City of Santa Fe Springs
70. City of Santa Monica
71. City of Sierra Madre
72. City of Signal Hill
73. City of South El Monte
74. City of South Gate
75. City of South Pasadena
76. City of Temple City
77. City of Torrance
78. City of Vernon
79. City of Walnut
80. City of West Covina
81. City of Westlake Village
82. City of Whittier
83. County of Los Angeles
84. Inglewood Unified School District
85. Los Angeles Unified School District
86. University of California Los Angeles

=

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
This morning receiving site 3 - 99% out in West LA.

Site 3
478.000-c
NAC693

grem467

With t-band going away in a few years, I am perplexed as to why this would have been lit up in this portion of spectrum.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
There simply is not enough spectrum otherwise. LA-RICS looked at an all 700/800Mhz solution but even by using 100% of potential free frequencies available in to the region there are not enough channels. Hence why we and up with the hybrid T-band/700Mhz system.

So larger cities like LA and NYC continue to lobby FCC and Congress to reverse HR3630.

Actually I figure its a clever move to proceed and build it out which raises the political cost of taking T-band away.
With such massive investment and reliance on the T-band in the nation large metropolitan areas for public safety maybe Congress will finally understand the harm they did by sneaking in the provision into an unrelated tax bill was.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Site 12 on the air today

774.43125cc

NAC 69C

bcorbin

Premium Subscriber
I think I'm looking at Site 2 this morning...

Pro96 is reporting:

System ID: 69F
TowerID: 102 (T0102)
WACN: BEE00

So far, we've got:
476.350 i
476.950 a
476.975 a
477.100 c

Adjacent sites would be:
101 -- 477.050
103 -- 478.000
104 -- 477.950
105 -- 477.450
111 -- 773.18125
112 -- 774.43125
113 -- 772.20625

The frequency identifier table is showing some base frequencies around 450, 470, 482, 506, 851,...

The site is absolutely BLASTING in at my location in Santa Clarita - which leads me to believe that it may be on Los Pinetos or Magic rather than Oat (which I receive with wide variation via knife-edge)...

Last edited:

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Thanks.
What is the NAC that you are seeing for Site 2? Seems each site has a differing P25 NAC.

As far as locations, should be Oat. Only primary sites to the north that I gather will be used initially are Oat and another site whose name escapes me at the moment for the high desert area.

bcorbin

Premium Subscriber
Thanks.
What is the NAC that you are seeing for Site 2? Seems each site has a differing P25 NAC.

As far as locations, should be Oat. Only primary sites to the north that I gather will be used initially are Oat and another site whose name escapes me at the moment for the high desert area.

Sorry about that -- $692...

I would have thought Oat (to my knowledge, it's just State stuff up on LP), but I've never heard Oat sound so good. That's not a bad sign 8*)

pepsima1

Banned
looks like they are adding sites in the northern part of LA County. I am not able to pickup anything from Orange County yet. Hopefully those Southern Site to LA County will be coming soon.

Glad to see this system starting to move forward. Its been a long time coming. Hopefully they won't encrypt too much. The only reason why is that any of these new Phase II systems coming online in Southern California are using the BIG "E" technology since its part of the package now.

We will see once LASO comes online. Interesting tho. Big thanks to LAFlyer for being the admin for this site so far.

bcorbin

Premium Subscriber
...and it looks like site 2 is down for the night.

There was a little bit of testing in the clear on talkgroup 42, and encrypted on talkgroup 44 earlier in the day. Does anyone know what a PSR 600 will do with TDMA/Phase 2 transmissions? (I know it won't decode them, but will it ignore them, or will they track and sound like encrypted channels?) I'm going to have my PSR-800 programmed and ready to go at it tomorrow.

I drove around a little bit late this afternoon, and - yeah, the site's on Oat. For some reason, it runs circles around the ICIS site here in the shack, but once I got out in the field, it was pretty much status quo...

pepsima1

Banned
The PSR 600 will not work period. Only a radio that is capable of receiving Phase II TDMA.

GRE PSR 800
Uniden 536HP
Uniden 436HP

These are the models on the market that will do this modulation

bcorbin

Premium Subscriber
The PSR 600 will not work period. Only a radio that is capable of receiving Phase II TDMA.

GRE PSR 800
Uniden 536HP
Uniden 436HP

These are the models on the market that will do this modulation

I fully understand that - that is why I own an -800 8*)

I thought it was pretty clear that I was not asking about decode, but rather, will the scanner react to the control channel stream, follow the frequency assignment and open squelch (which I would expect could sound rather like encryption), or will the PSR 600 ignore Phase 2/TDMA channel assignments altogether. I suppose I'll have an answer to that soon enough - I was just curious to see if anyone had any actual, practical experience.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
Im not hearing it here in Newhall

I think I'm looking at Site 2 this morning...

The site is absolutely BLASTING in at my location in Santa Clarita - which leads me to believe that it may be on Los Pinetos or Magic rather than Oat (which I receive with wide variation via knife-edge)...