10M in CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

obrien135

Are there any folks with a 10M radio that live in CT with whom I can try to make a contact with over the radio? I want to test out my 10M rig, but when I transmit I can't seem to braek in on the conversations and no one answers my CQ calls. I've had my rig thoroughly checked out twice and it's fine. I have a good antenna and a good SWR. About 1 to 1.5. I'm not sure if I getting my signal out there or if I'm not operating correctly. If some one would be willing to set a time and a frequency, we could try it out. Anybody?

George
KB1PDK

millrad

Premium Subscriber
George, what kind of radio is it, what's your transmit power and what are you using for an antenna? With the great skip conditions lately you should hear tons of stations and be able to make contacts easily.
Do you have a separate receiver to hear yourself on?

obrien135

Hi, it is a Uniden HR2600 with a 25W output. I am using a 1/4 wave whip magmounted to my car roof. I have a separate receiver but it only goes up to about 20M. Do you think you could set a time when you are on the air and I can try to communicate with you, to test out my rig?

George
KB1PDK

Mork

Premium Subscriber
I'd be happy to try and hear you from New Hartford. I rather doubt I will.

BTW 1/4 wave on the roof? You have a 9' whip on your roof?

millrad

Premium Subscriber
George, are you hearing all the daytime signals that have been coming through, especially before noon? I can try and set up a schedule from my station in Prospect, free time permitting on a Friday or Saturday...

obrien135

mlevinedc: Can you try tonight at 7:00 PM?

Yes it's a approximate 9' whip but I only put it on the roof when I am parked, not while I am driving. It's a mag mount

Millrad: Yes I hear the daytime signals. Do you mean this coming fri. or sat.? I am free on both days. Can you set a time and frequency?

George
KB1PDK

obrien135

I wasn't able to participate in the network Tuesday Night because I went to bed early. I will try to participate in one of them as soon as I can.

obrien135

I tried to communicate with people on the net at 2:00 PM EST but I couldn't hear anyone from Meriden, CT. There was a woman starting the meeting at just before 2:00 but she was from Florida. I could hear her talking to other people from Canada and around the world, but they couldn't hear me when I called CQ.

I brought the radio up to the local Ham radio shop where there are some of the most expert people in CT in Ham radio and it checked out fine again. It's outputting 25W. That should be enough, right?

I wonder what the problem is?

George
KB1PDK

w1haf

Ten meters is great when the band is open. Local propagation is still tough. You need an NVIS antenna for that. I have owned a hr2600 and worked to Europe from my mobile. It's all about band conditions and propagation. Local contacts are still tough only a few miles is usual. The band was wide open yesterday.

ecps92

Simplex or Repeater
Is your Off-Sets correct for the Freq ??

Are there any folks with a 10M radio that live in CT with whom I can try to make a contact with over the radio? I want to test out my 10M rig, but when I transmit I can't seem to braek in on the conversations and no one answers my CQ calls. I've had my rig thoroughly checked out twice and it's fine. I have a good antenna and a good SWR. About 1 to 1.5. I'm not sure if I getting my signal out there or if I'm not operating correctly. If some one would be willing to set a time and a frequency, we could try it out. Anybody?

George
KB1PDK

Status
Not open for further replies.