Whistler WS1095

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Who among you is interested in the Whistler WS1095 (AKA, never released GRE PSR-900)?

I have no interest in any of the other Whistler models except this one. Hopefully it becomes a reality this time around.

I am a little disappointed that Whistler isn't going to add anything new however, and would have loved to see a full numerical keypad. Basically it looks like we'll see just a mobile version of the GRE PSR-800.

Sad too. I was really looking forward to a GRE PSR-500 with Phase II/X2-TDMA and maybe some new features and modes. :cool:

AuntEnvy

That sounds great to me!

I would love a mobile version of the 800.

I thought that's what I would be getting in the uniden 536 but seems like way too many issues with it right now.

Is there some kind of traction with a model you're speaking of or is that just speculation of some fashiom...?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Just the information I've read from this forum and the 2014 Whistler CES brochure. It appears to be the same as the GRE PSR-800 feature set. Of course the features are subject to final production and FCC certification.

The positives being the Phase II/X2-TDMA and remote head. I just don't believe I can make changes on the fly with the menu system via the iScan keypad in it's current configuration when using it mobile.

As far the Uniden BCD536HP, it has met my expectations with exception to the remaining features yet to be released.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Whistler scanners

The old Pro 106/GRE 500 does not have the necessary electronics to handle phase II. As far as other model changes, just getting the radios back into production is a huge task without attempting any redesign or new features. Look at the time span between the models of the Uniden units and the problems with the new models. Whistler just needs to get a working and proven product on the market.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I wouldn't want too much effort put into the 500/600 for the simple reason that that radio platform has a very limited memory space. Besides the fact that you can only put a limited amount of "objects" in the radio overall, you are only allowed 32 freqs per TSYS.. and for those folks who have big statewide systems these days with more than 32 CC freqs, you're pretty much at two strikes by this point.

If Whistler wants to progress in the scanner world, the PSR500/PSR600 is not the direction they should take.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Well thinking outside the box, the next logical progression for the GRE PSR-500 would have been memory upgrade, possibly including the majority of the GRE PSR-800 code with a keyboard interface. Of course we will never know unless this would happen with a possible future Whistler model. I'd bet that the receiver portion of the PSR-500/Pro-106 would have been fine with the proper memory and CPU upgrade. Something I'm sure the GRE America scanner development team may have had in mind had they been given the proper resources.

RadioDaze

I'll buy the 1095 based on the detachable faceplate alone. But I wish it could have a keypad. I need scanlists at my fingertips based on feel alone. I don't want to navigate menus while driving.

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Viewing the rabid following the PSR-800 has it appears to be quite a capable little scanner. Probably the only two things I could find fault with it would be the lack of a keyboard and the fact that it is a handheld. I just really love the look feel of a mobile unit. I like how it sits solidly on a table or on the front seat of a car. If they put a keyboard on the WS1095 it would be a winner hands down in my book. I know that's not gonna happen, so I have to accept it for what it is. Of course, this all depends upon the scanner actually working correctly ;) but I'll leave that to the early adopters.

IowaGuy1603

I gave up and bought a second 800 just before GRE went bottom up.

Glad I did as I can move it between my vehicles without a problem ---especially now that the county next door went to a P25 simulcast Harris system

John

Premium Subscriber
I am definitely waiting to see if this model comes available. I too have nothing but good comments about the 800 and also like the detachable faceplate on this model. So I plan to get two if the price is right. I also wish it had a keypad.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Limited memory space?

I wouldn't want too much effort put into the 500/600 for the simple reason that that radio platform has a very limited memory space. Besides the fact that you can only put a limited amount of "objects" in the radio overall, you are only allowed 32 freqs per TSYS.. and for those folks who have big statewide systems these days with more than 32 CC freqs, you're pretty much at two strikes by this point.

If Whistler wants to progress in the scanner world, the PSR500/PSR600 is not the direction they should take.

I am rather confused by "limited memory space." I suppose you are making reference to the working memory of the PSR 500. I am curious. Is this 32 frequency limit specific to the PSR 500 or does it also apply to the PSR 800? I've never held an 800 in my hands. So, I don't know. Also, does this 32 frequency limit exist for Uniden products? I've never attempted to program a statewide and/or large TSYS in a Uniden.

When I do program very large trunking systems, I try very hard to correspond TSYS sites with corresponding TG's. But, when you unfamiliar with an area, it can get a bit complicated. As long as you observe the 32 frequency limit per TSYS, you are good to go.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
The PSR800 still has a limit per site, but you are allowed multiple sites per TSYS. The PSR500 only has one "site" in a given TSYS.

Uniden HP products have no limit to frequencies or talkgroups, in any capacity.

troymail

Silent Key
The PSR500 has a limitation of about 1800 "objects" per VScanner/VFolder. Of course, you have 20 VFolders but you can old run one at a time. It's a great radio -- so is the PSR800. Now, blend the best of both - keypad, onboard library, Phase 2, etc. and that would be a huge winner - I prefer the handheld but what we're seeing generally is that the mobile/base is really the same thing. Adding the detachable face on a mobile would be great also - but with a "few" more of the right buttons.

Having played with Uniden's latest, it's clear that the GRE (now Whistler) models far outperform the new Unidens when it comes to actually detecting and stopping on activity. And the out of the box (read: "no tweaking required") digital decode of the GRE/Whistlers cannot be beat - period. My PSR800 is still my primary "go to" radio.

Having said all that - getting the digital simulcast modulation problem solved in one of these radios is a must also.

There really still isn't ANY radio out there that can handle it properly. I know this doesn't affect everyone but for those of us who it does affect, it's crucial (and we're looking out for the rest of you when your area puts one of these systems in!).

Looks and features don't mean a whole lot is you can't hear what you are trying to hear.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Statewide Systems

The PSR800 still has a limit per site, but you are allowed multiple sites per TSYS. The PSR500 only has one "site" in a given TSYS.

Uniden HP products have no limit to frequencies or talkgroups, in any capacity.

This might be a case of semantics, but I'm going to give it a go. When I program my PSR 500 for statewide P25 or MOT systems, I can program multiple sites provided I don't exceed 32. Therefore, if needed, I can load another series of sites using the same TSYS, but as an additional object.

I find it interesting that Uniden does not have the same limitations.

I have been watching several You Tube videos of the PSR 800 performing against the new Uniden digitals. So, I am going to wait on Whistler to come out with their PSR 800 version. I am going to stick with what I already believe in, GRE-design. But, I am certainly tempted with the GPS function of Unidens.

However, with a little bit of planning, having an updated PSR 800 is a good thing as well.

I know one thing. I've spent days programming my PSR 500 for long trips. Hence, I keep a list of various radio stations on my RR home page to keep them updated.

Last edited:

garys

Premium Subscriber
I was really looking forward to the PSR900 or the Whistler version, but I think that the moment has passed. I think that Uniden missed the boat on that feature with the 536.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
Who among you is interested in the Whistler WS1095 (AKA, never released GRE PSR-900)?

I have no interest in any of the other Whistler models except this one. Hopefully it becomes a reality this time around.

I am a little disappointed that Whistler isn't going to add anything new however, and would have loved to see a full numerical keypad. Basically it looks like we'll see just a mobile version of the GRE PSR-800.

Sad too. I was really looking forward to a GRE PSR-500 with Phase II/X2-TDMA and maybe some new features and modes. :cool:

I too an interested in the WS 1095, as I run a PSR 500 and 800 in my mobile, and a 600 on base. However, I was hoping either Whistler or Uniden was going to come out with a scanner that would enable the listener to hear MotoTrbo, as several agencies in this general area have switched over. Also, as someone else said in another post in this thread, it is somewhat difficult to switch "scanlists" on the 800, because there is no keypad, whereas, that is not a problem with the PSR 500/600.

garys

Premium Subscriber
What feature?

A remote head. I know that they will have the Siren app, but that means buying another piece of hardware or using a Smart Phone. Ham radios have had remote head options for a long time, and the same installation issues exist for mobile scanner users.

The control head on my Yaesu takes up almost not space in my truck, but the 996XT takes up a good deal of room. In a lot of cars, it would be very hard to mount a radio the size of the 996XT without taking up a lot of space.

Status
Not open for further replies.