Indiana Scanner Law question in 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckeeb

I have gone through the original sticky and it didn't help. I recently got my HAM ticket and want to resume having a scanner in the car. I went to that thread to look up the law so I could print it out and keep a copy in the car, smart right? I tried looking up IC 35-44-3-12 and it appears that it has either changed or been removed (or appealed). Has the law finally been done away with? Or has it been re-enacted under something else. Under IC for 2013, 35-44 as a whole has been appealed. If it's still a law, can anyone tell me the NEW IC # so I can look it up and print it out? I'd appreciate it. Thanks and Happy St. Patrick's Day!

aaron315

Indiana Scanner Law

IC 35-44.1-2-7

Code number changed as part of the legislature's ongoing rework of the Indiana Criminal Code. The law its self has not changed.

-------------------------------------------

Unlawful use of a police radio
Sec. 7. (a) A person who knowingly or intentionally:
(1) possesses a police radio;
(2) transmits over a frequency assigned for police emergency purposes; or
(3) possesses or uses a police radio:
(A) while committing a crime;
(B) to further the commission of a crime; or
(C) to avoid detection by a law enforcement agency;
commits unlawful use of a police radio, a Class B misdemeanor.
(b) Subsection (a)(1) and (a)(2) do not apply to:
(1) a governmental entity;
(2) a regularly employed law enforcement officer;
(3) a common carrier of persons for hire whose vehicles are used in emergency service;
(4) a public service or utility company whose vehicles are used in emergency service;
(5) a person who has written permission from the chief executive officer of a law enforcement agency to possess a police radio;
(6) a person who holds an amateur radio license issued by the Federal Communications Commission if the person is not transmitting over a frequency assigned for police emergency purposes;
(7) a person who uses a police radio only in the person's dwelling or place of business;
(8) a person:
(A) who is regularly engaged in newsgathering activities;
(B) who is employed by a newspaper qualified to receive legal advertisements under IC 5-3-1, a wire service, or a licensed commercial or public radio or television station; and
(C) whose name is furnished by the person's employer to the chief executive officer of a law enforcement agency in the county in which the employer's principal office is located;
(9) a person engaged in the business of manufacturing or selling police radios; or
(10) a person who possesses or uses a police radio during the normal course of the person's lawful business.
(c) As used in this section, "police radio" means a radio that is capable of sending or receiving signals transmitted on frequencies assigned by the Federal Communications Commission for police emergency purposes and that:
(1) can be installed, maintained, or operated in a vehicle; or
(2) can be operated while it is being carried by an individual.
The term does not include a radio designed for use only in a dwelling.
As added by P.L.126-2012, SEC.54.

Last edited:

W9NES

To answer to question that mckeeb posted( yes) you can have a scanner in your car if you are a ham radio operator. Please refer to Indiana Scanner Law 35-44-1-2-7 paragraph (6).

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I have cleaned up the nonsense and locked and stuck the thread. I have also unstuck the old thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.