Enterprise Police - Trunking Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tf

Hello, newbie here. I recently became interested in scanning and am having some trouble understanding the different systems out there. I am slowly learning on my BCD436HP.

I want to listen to Coffee County, Enterprise Police/Fire, but it seems: "Enterprise Police and Fire have moved to the Nexedge Trunked System."

What is Nexedge, and are there any current scanners capable of monitoring this trunked system? Anyone have any experience using the 436 to discover trunked systems?

Thanks!

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Nextedge trunk system is from Kenwood. Currently there are no scanners that can monitor Nextedge directly. Trunk system can be found by scanning each band for the distinctive sound of a control channel. From there the voice channels can be determined from the FCC or RR web site.

tf

Thanks for clarifying WA0CBW...

Darn it, that's what I was afraid of. Is that a common problem in AL? Agencies using private networks?

I guess the more I learn about radios, I'm surprised that they are not on something more common. You'd think that nearby agencies would all need to be on the same system to be able to talk to each other. I'm even more surprised small towns are using proprietary systems and feel they need to have "private" comms.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Nextedge is not a private network it is a trunking protocol from Kenwood. Just like MotoTrbo is a DMR trunking protocol from Motorola. The scanner manufacturers at this time have not chosen to include these other types of trunking systems in their scanners. Maybe these other trunking protocols will be included in future scanner radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.