Car chase 169

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Just listened to the car chase down 169 by shakopee. Sounded like they threw out a bag of needles and possible heroin. Hit 2 cars trying to get away. Had a crap load of cars in the chase. Love this 436. Don't think my 396 would have been able to keep up with the chase.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Be nice folks. I only have stearns and sherburne county set up for armer. Living just south of st cloud, never could pick up much from the cities. With the 436 being setup by area and the latest database uploaded, and most services selected, it picked up the chase so was able to lock on tac 1. No problem listening to all of it. Maybe if I had all the control channels loaded, possibly could have picked it all up. When I get my new antenna for the 436, can put back the RS antenna on the 396 and try to do a comparison.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
You heard L-Tac 1 because someone on the tower you were monitoring was locked on to the channel and it was being simulcast on that tower. Thats the same reason I was hearing it on the Ramsey towers and sometimes hear incidents from outstate MN. I would however be interested in a side by side comparison of the two comparing simulcast performance.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Ok. Will need some help to do this. Tell me what control channels to put in the 396T besides my shurburne and stearns county I have already. Should I put all of hennepin county control channels that's listed in the database? I have it listed on CL for sale so if it goes before I can accomplish it, will have to pass on the test. New antenna should be here tomorrow so will try my best to get this done quickly.

stmills

I think the odds are against you picking up the Hennepin East towers from near St. Cloud, but you may be able to get Hennepin West#202 on 852.6125
Have you tried the Anoka System- #102 - on my tower map looks like Anoka and Hennepin West are about equal distance to St. Cloud

SCPD

QRT
The chase was on L-TAC 1 on all the metro area towers as it always is when something like this happens. I listened to it on the Anoka County system even though the chase was a way out of range of that system. Forget the Anoka system in St.Cloud, been there and tried it with a Pro2096 and a 15db yagi and nothing. Maybe next time when I am up there will try the Astro Spectra with the yagi to try Henn W and Anoka, much better than any scanner . For all you radio police, the radio is programmed for rx only conventional channels and no way bothers it.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
I was listening on L-TAC1 throughout the whole chase and closure. I was surprised I was picking it up from way down there but your explanation helped a little. Is L-TAC 1 statewide? Or was I listening from west metro towers? It was loud and clear, just like listening to st cloud.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Just looked at the data base and yes, TAC 1 is state wide under interop, which I have selected in my 436 to scan. Am curious, does this mean the entire state listening to TAC 1 (police, scanners) were able to listen to the chase?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I believe I read somewhere in the ARMER Standards/Policies/Procedures that whenever there is a chase (or other situation involvings different LE agencies) the handling dispatch center should set up a patch between the local talkgroup and L-TAC 1.

I don't believe L-TAC 1 (or any of the other statewide TACs) are continuously broadcast statewide. It takes a local user to switch his/her radio to L-TAC 1 which links the primary site (where the chase is) to other sites where L-TAC 1 is "activated" on the other site(s).

For example if there is a chase in Duluth with the Duluth Talkgroup being patched to L-TAC 1 and I'm in Rochester listening to L-TAC 1. The only way I would hear the chase is for a Rochester officer to turn his/her radio to L-TAC 1. That links the Rochester tower to the Duluth tower. With those towers being linked, I can hear the event.

This has its good and bad points. One of the adverse effects of this was mentioned in the 35W bridge collapse a while back. Lots of outstate units were listening in on the event in Minneapolis. But in doing so, it reduced the channel availability for outstate sites.

You can Google Motorola Smartzone Omni Link for further information on how this linking works together in a large statewide system.

Status
Not open for further replies.