'Mobile' Scanners Illegal in Arkansas

Status
Not open for further replies.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
First off, I'm asking the question in the title and not making a statement.

I had someone, just the other day, tell me that he "knew for a fact" that it was against the law to have a scanner in your vehicle "in Arkansas or any other state unless you have a Ham Radio license." I told him I was 99% sure that was false and that there were some states where it was illegal but, to my knowledge, it isn't in Arkansas.

I'm correct in that, right? :confused:

I will say, later in the conversation he changed to "well I'm pretty sure...I know I've been told that before, a few years ago..."

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
It might depend on the city or county too. I was told once by a deputy Sheriff that Los Angeles County has an ordinance prohibiting mobile scanner use but it's rarely enforced. Usually only when someone was out doing something stupid and/or illegal with it. So who knows. Best bet when scanning mobile is to keep the scanner out of sight so no one's the wiser that you have it.

-AZ

canav844

First off, I'm asking the question in the title and not making a statement.

I had someone, just the other day, tell me that he "knew for a fact" that it was against the law to have a scanner in your vehicle "in Arkansas or any other state unless you have a Ham Radio license." I told him I was 99% sure that was false and that there were some states where it was illegal but, to my knowledge, it isn't in Arkansas.

I'm correct in that, right? :confused:

I will say, later in the conversation he changed to "well I'm pretty sure...I know I've been told that before, a few years ago..."

Have this person show you the law that says that. It should be educational for them.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Believe me, I didn't really think he was correct (and I told him that) but I couldn't help but be a little curious. In other words, it made me wonder. I felt like I had seen posts before saying essentially what the responses here have been but, again, it made me curious.

I appreciate the responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.