PCWIN Cutover - Complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
Today Tucson PD and South TPD cutover to PCWIN today. This is the last of the participants in PCWIN to drop their legacy system today.

In order to hear the participants on PCWIN you must have one of three scanners, GRE PSR-800, Uniden BCD486HP, or Uniden BCD586HP.

At the moment, the following analog legacy systems are still hearable, but expect these to go away in the near future -

Tucson Fire Department
F-4 and F-5

Rural Metro Fire Department
F-1, F-3, F-6 and F-9

University of Arizona PD
F-1

What Public Safety agencies can you hear within Pima County with a scanner that doesn't handle P25 Phase II communications? All is not lost :)

Air Evac Medical Helicopters
AZ Department of Corrections
AZ Department of Public Safety
AZ Interagency Radio System
Coronado National Forest
EMSCOMM
Northwest FD
Tohono o'Odham PD
Tucson International Airport PD and FD
VA Medical Center PD

Don't forget there are non-Public Safety entities too -
Businesses
Civilian Air
Military Air
Railroad
Schools
US Government

Time to look for some new analog frequencies now that the airways have cleared up :O

JPSan

Change over on 5pm news

KGUN 9 at 5pm did a live piece on the change over this morning with the OTA announcement change over and roll call start.
So far no video of this story has appeared on KGUN's new redesigned website.
Check for it later tonight.

kd7eir

TPD' officers are having a terrible time figuring out their new APX 6000 handheld and APX 6500 mobile radios. Much more difficulty than TFD experienced.

Last edited:

cookmaster

PCWIN Cutover-COMPLETE

I just heard Air-2 also having a hard time talking on ODS-1 TG,TPD have not installed Aviation radios yet for there air fleet, so he was 10-1 for most of his radio transmissions, he was trying different plug ins and could get it to work, so he landed at heliport and is trying to fix the problem!!!

italiana

Scanners for PCWIN

Have been shopping for Uniden BCD 486 and 586 HP on Uniden site. No such numbers...in Uniden or anywhere else on the internet. Are these model numbers correct ?

italiana

Uniden scanners

Disregard my previous question on Uniden Model #s. I located correct ones in another thread. Not BCD 486 or 586 HP. They are BCD 436 and 538 HP.

Thank you anyway !

kd7eir

I just heard Air-2 also having a hard time talking on ODS-1 TG,TPD have not installed Aviation radios yet for there air fleet, so he was 10-1 for most of his radio transmissions, he was trying different plug ins and could get it to work, so he landed at heliport and is trying to fix the problem!!!

It's not like they didn't have time to do proper installs. I wonder who is responsible for this failure?

I mainly monitor team 4 and they are coming in quite well on the far east side using Simulcast A. So are the units doing undercover work. They are the ones I heard having the most trouble figuring out their radios.

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
Disregard my previous question on Uniden Model #s. I located correct ones in another thread. Not BCD 486 or 586 HP. They are BCD 436 and 538 HP.

Thank you anyway !

Very sorry, that was my bad. In my excitement to get the information out I mistyped the model numbers. You are correct BCD436HP and BCD536HP.

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
I've updated quite a bit on the PCWIN TRS, so you will be able to immediately recognize all of the main or daily TG's. There are other TG's that are in use, but either infrequently or are being used for surveillance.

It will be a work in progress :)

If you do a DB update late Monday morning on your 436, it will be all downloaded for you. Remember, the Uniden updates are done Monday mornings

Also, the PSR-800 updates are done on Saturday mornings, should you have one of those.

I held out to the last minute but, I guess I will now charge the batteries in the new BCD436 , fire it up & see if I can figure out the new system.

Here is the link to the last call of the old system.....

Tucson police upgrade radio system - Tucson News Now

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
Actually, it would seem they forgot about radios for the TPD helo's, so they are using handhelds, or are trying to do so. I was listening to that last night too. It was horrible.

PCSO's "Survey" has no problems. They also have a radio in the plane :)

It's not like they didn't have time to do proper installs. I wonder who is responsible for this failure?

I mainly monitor team 4 and they are coming in quite well on the far east side using Simulcast A. So are the units doing undercover work. They are the ones I heard having the most trouble figuring out their radios.

mothertrucker

I've updated quite a bit on the PCWIN TRS, so you will be able to immediately recognize all of the main or daily TG's. There are other TG's that are in use, but either infrequently or are being used for surveillance.

It will be a work in progress :)

If you do a DB update late Monday morning on your 436, it will be all downloaded for you. Remember, the Uniden updates are done Monday mornings

Also, the PSR-800 updates are done on Saturday mornings, should you have one of those.

Thanks FLANO.
Will wait till Monday to fire it up & download your latest updates so I can get off to a good start.

I am sure I will have a lot of dumb questions on how to operate the 436 in the future.

italiana

Uniden

Flano..........not your bad. Just excitement.
Then I had a bad of my own. I mistyped the Uniden numbers I located.
Do I get to plead excitement ?

I wrote BCD 436 HP and BCD 538 HP. It should have read BCD 436 HP and BCD 536 HP.

I apologize for that mistake.

APORATH

Today Tucson PD and South TPD cutover to PCWIN today. This is the last of the participants in PCWIN to drop their legacy system today.

In order to hear the participants on PCWIN you must have one of three scanners, GRE PSR-800, Uniden BCD486HP, or Uniden BCD586HP.

At the moment, the following analog legacy systems are still hearable, but expect these to go away in the near future -

Tucson Fire Department
F-4 and F-5

F-1, F-3, F-6 and F-9

University of Arizona PD
F-1

What Public Safety agencies can you hear within Pima County with a scanner that doesn't handle P25 Phase II communications? All is not lost :)

Coronado National Forest
EMSCOMM
Northwest FD
Tohono o'Odham PD
VA Medical Center PD

Businesses
Civilian Air
Military Air
Railroad
Schools
US Government

Time to look for some new analog frequencies now that the airways have cleared up :O

Monitoring businesses are becoming few and far between too. When I started scanning in 1999, there were plenty of frequencies to scan besides the usual police and fire never a dull moment. But now with Digital Mobile Radio (DMR) gaining traction, monitoring these frequencies are becoming next to impossible. The frequencies I used to monitor are now either dormant or lots of data sounds (like a trunking control channel but it's not continuous like MotoTrbo). This kinda killed the scanning hobby for me because of this and with Motorola gloating about how their radios are "secure", it will be unlikely that Uniden will get a license by Motorola to add the DMR decoder on future scanners.

kd7eir

Monitoring businesses are becoming few and far between too. When I started scanning in 1999, there were plenty of frequencies to scan besides the usual police and fire never a dull moment. But now with Digital Mobile Radio (DMR) gaining traction, monitoring these frequencies are becoming next to impossible. The frequencies I used to monitor are now either dormant or lots of data sounds (like a trunking control channel but it's not continuous like MotoTrbo). This kinda killed the scanning hobby for me because of this and with Motorola gloating about how their radios are "secure", it will be unlikely that Uniden will get a license by Motorola to add the DMR decoder on future scanners.

DMR is an open standard, there is no license necessary from Motorola.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col

You should really take a look at getting an RTL dongle, DSD+ and SDR#. That's all you need to get a DMR capable "scanner" up and running. I'm hoping that eventually Uniden will finish fixing the x36's and offer DMR as a firmware upgrade for them. That would make the 436 just about the perfect radio for Arizona.

-AZ

sfreiman

Premium Subscriber
Time to bite the bullet and get a BCD536HP then. How are other folks liking this particular scanner? I currently have BCT15Xs and love them, so the BCD536HP would be my logical choice.

sfreiman

Premium Subscriber
Helpful summary of the changes. Thank you!

Tucson Fire Department
F-4 and F-5

F-1, F-3, F-6 and F-9

University of Arizona PD
F-1

Coronado National Forest
EMSCOMM
Northwest FD
Tohono o'Odham PD
VA Medical Center PD

Businesses
Civilian Air
Military Air
Railroad
Schools
US Government

sfreiman

Premium Subscriber
Not 100% off topic, since it is somewhat related to everything that is going on with the changeover. Does anyone have any suggestions for an antenna they are happy with paired with their new Uniden Bearcat BCD536HP for listening in the Tucson area? If I have to buy a new scanner, might as well consider a new antenna too.

Tucsonlady

I just purchased a Uniden BCD996XT Apco 25 scanner. Will that work for Tucson Police? I got upset when my old scanner stopped receiving last week and bought this one (was recommended by Scannermaster for this area). Now I'm worried and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to use the new scanner.

If it is OK for TPD, is there anyone I can pay to program it for me??

Status
Not open for further replies.