New guy antenna suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

So I just started into the hobby and was looking for some suggestions. I have recently got my roof redone in my house and created a neat under the shingle type antenna using some foil tape. I have radials which are 30 ft,20ft,10ft etc for later fun. Figured I would get it installed while they were doing it. They are all tied into the centre if the roof where I have installed a tripod.

Now my dilemma is buying my first antenna. I have been using a whip antenna for my base station so far on the 2m/70cm bands which works well for around my area but I want more power. I also am thinking of getting into the 6m band as well. Can anyone recommend an antenna which I can use with my tripod that will do 6m/2m/70cm? I know there are many options out there which I have seen but I need some guidance.

Thanks

scottymcneill8657

Premium Subscriber
I'd would recommend a dual band 2m/70cm copper jpole- they are fairly light and are excellent radiators. Cheap too- mine cost about $35 but you can make for less if you have parts. I can hit BWI from Huntingtown which is about 50ish miles with me with little power. I can hear Cumberland MD (150ish miles) but they can't hear me- depends on the area though. For the 6m part, where are you? I've got a 6m collapsable beam that needs a new feedpoint that you can have if you are close.

I was looking at some of the diamond antennas that do the three bands. Does anyone have any experience with these triple band antennas?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The Diamond V2000 is an good antenna for 2m and 440 MHz. It is also advertised to work on 6m. One of the radials on the V2000 is adjustable in order to trim out the SWR on 6m. In my experience, that adjustment is a little fiddly.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Reading about those under-shingle radials you had put in.... my first thought was, "Wow... that is going to be a great setup for an HF vertical." So get your General and put an HF vertical on the roof! I had a rooftop HF vertical in Okinawa with wire radials strung out across the concrete rooftop. It worked really well. Of course then you'll have to figure out what to do with the VHF-UHF dual bander... but that's much easier than setting up an HF antenna.

I was advised by another local ham that I would eventually want to get into HF at some point so I took his advice about the roof. I took a look at the V2000 and it looks like a great solution. Are there any other members out there with any other ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.