Des Moines Fire Dept paging

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc0hsg

"First time caller, long time listener", so be patient please as this is my first post.

Can't seem to find this anywhere on the site or in internet land, so I'm going to ask anyways. When the DSM fire dept used to page for fires, the transmission sounded something like:

ladder 5, pumper 3.... (series of beeps).... ladder 5, pumper 3, 1100 hickman.........etc.

Nowadays, when a callout is heard, it's only the transmission after the beeps. Tried monitoring every vhf / uhf frequency listed in the fcc database for the city thinking the paging occurs here now, but also heard nothing. Mainly, I'm trying to get my bct15 programmed for the tone-out feature for DSM fire.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Don't know how helpful this might be, but here is a link to the Broadcastify site for the live feed in the Des Moines area.

You'll see the frequencies that the feed provider has used for the fire service in that area.

Central Iowa Public Safety

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
They transitioned to a digital alerting system several years ago, so there's no need for tones anymore. The address and type of assignment is announced to the station via synthesized voice, like Ames FD. If I read correctly, this isn't via RF, but by VOIP/fiber optic, so you won't be able to intercept these on any frequency, sorry. My efforts to find the news article talking about this update were fruitless.

mikeydcg2003

you are right on the digital voice. When i did my ride time at DMFD for EMS i saw the box in question. It is hooked to the network via Cat5e. I'm sure it's back ended to the DM comm center via city fiber optics

Status
Not open for further replies.