BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Next Firmware Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkatzjr45

Senior Member - Emeritus
Premium Subscriber
I was just wondering when the next firmware update for the BCD436HP will be available.

Thanks!

troymail

Silent Key
I was just wondering when the next firmware update for the BCD436HP will be available.

Thanks!

I can't answer your question -- however, given the reports following the first BCD536HP firmware update (1.03.03) suggesting the radio (for some) didn't work as well as before the update, I wouldn't rush to do any update until hearing reports from others. I blindly updated my 536 and I know at least one feature didn't work the same/as well after the update.

Additionally, I recently acquired a "loaner" BCD436HP (with the latest firmware 1.03.00 installed) and in many ways, I think it is functioning much better (scanning faster, receiving more activity, receives/better processes digital voice on Motorola Type II systems, etc) than my BCD536HP. I've only had the 436 for about 2 days and need more time for a more complete comparison.

bama9999

I can't answer your question -- however, given the reports following the first BCD536HP firmware update (1.03.03) suggesting the radio (for some) didn't work as well as before the update, I wouldn't rush to do any update until hearing reports from others. I blindly updated my 536 and I know at least one feature didn't work the same/as well after the update.

Additionally, I recently acquired a "loaner" BCD436HP (with the latest firmware 1.03.00 installed) and in many ways, I think it is functioning much better (scanning faster, receiving more activity, receives/better processes digital voice on Motorola Type II systems, etc) than my BCD536HP. I've only had the 436 for about 2 days and need more time for a more complete comparison.

I would suggest getting a second SD card since they're not expensive at all, and performing the firmware update with it first. That way, if the update has any sort of adverse effect on your scanner you can always just put the original SD card with the earlier firmware back in the scanner, and you won't risk anything by trying any new firmware.

TedRHayes

I would suggest getting a second SD card since they're not expensive at all, and performing the firmware update with it first. That way, if the update has any sort of adverse effect on your scanner you can always just put the original SD card with the earlier firmware back in the scanner, and you won't risk anything by trying any new firmware.

I'm not sure this approach will help. While the SD card is used to transfer the firmware update to the scanner, once the firmware update is applied, I believe it changes the firmware in the scanner; using a second SD card with the old firmware will not cause the scanner to revert to the previous version.

I don't believe there is generally available way to revert to earlier firmware versions once updated.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

Putting the original SD card back in the scanner will not revert the scanner back to the earlier firmware. The firmware file is erased from the card as soon as it's written to the scanner.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I don't believe there is generally available way to revert to earlier firmware versions once updated.

If you actually have a copy of the older firmware download file (copied from the SD card BEFORE it was written to the scanner), you can put it back on the SD card (in the proper location), and when the scanner re-boots, the older firmware will be written to the scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.