frequency issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerman200

Premium Subscriber
I have a radio shack pro 405 desktop scanner and a frequency I monitor is 453.600 but I noticed that the frequency sounded very low and kind of distorted but when I changed to 453.6125 the frequency sounded normal. I confirmed the frequency had not changed to this. Why is this happening?

scannerman200

Premium Subscriber
Yea I see that, but that frequency is also Lamar County Fire. Seems it comes in better on 453.6125 on my Pro-405 scanner, rather than 453.600. Other scanner does not have this issue.

ScannerSK

It sounds like the scanner is getting slightly out of tune. You can tell if this is the case if you have to tune up one step on most frequencies in the 450-470 MHz range to receive the signal with the best clarity.

Without a service manual it would be difficult to know what to adjust in the scanner to correct this.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Tuning scanner

Tuning is not a do it yourself project. Without the proper equipment (spelled $$$), you can end up with a brick. Turn one of the small coils a little too much and it is destroyed. Turn the wrong way and you are worse off.

nd5y

Is it hard to retune the scanner?
Not if you are an experienced electronics technician and have the proper test equiment and the manufacturer's documentation that contains the alignment procedure. If you have to ask about it then you probably can't do it yourself.
Does it mean the scanner is going bad?
Are there any other stations that are off frequency or just that one?
How long ago did it happen?
It could be that their transmitter drifted off frequency and nobody has noticed it yet or they haven't arranged to fix it yet.
If all stations are off frequency then the scanner is bad.

ecps92

If it is only this one Freq in UHF and others in UHF are fine, then it likely is NOT your scanner. Anyone else in your area having issues ??

If the Scanner was off on Freq, it would be across the entire band

Other frequencies sound fine, especially vhf

scannerman200

Premium Subscriber
The signal on the frequency (453.600) is showing two bars and when I tune to the other frequency 453.6125, it has a stronger signal and sounds clearer. I have asked around and the normal frequency sounds fine

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
If it is only this one Freq in UHF and others in UHF are fine, then it likely is NOT your scanner. Anyone else in your area having issues ??

If the Scanner was off on Freq, it would be across the entire band

453.600 sounds fine on several of my scanners and a Motorola CP200, while .6125 is definitely off-frequency. This is a public safety system with relatively new infrastructure maintained by the Alabama Forestry Commission, and there are three separate repeaters in use. Highly unlikely that this is a transmitter issue.

scannerman200: How does Fayette County Fire sound on 453.200? They're one of the only other active UHF users in the area that I can think of. If your scanner exhibits the same issue when monitoring them, then your scanner has almost certainly shifted slightly off frequency, at least in the UHF range.

slicerwizard

Tuning is not a do it yourself project. Without the proper equipment (spelled $$$), you can end up with a brick. Turn one of the small coils a little too much and it is destroyed. Turn the wrong way and you are worse off.

Not if you are an experienced electronics technician and have the proper test equiment and the manufacturer's documentation that contains the alignment procedure. If you have to ask about it then you probably can't do it yourself.
Tuning the reference oscillator is a simple operation. Don't know why you guys are off on an alignment tangent.

Status
Not open for further replies.