Icon IC-R3 "Video Receiver" unblocked and laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdesigns

Icon IC-R3 "got my answer"

I just bought a Icom IC-R3 from a guy that didn't know much about it and when I got it today I realize is the IC-R3SS model from japan "Unblocked" what problems could I get into owning this receiver? I know cellphones are digital now. I read somewhere that was illegal to sell them also. I'm confuse.

Last edited:

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
I look at things like this the same way I look at the "DO NOT REMOVE" tag on a mattress. No one's going to come knocking on your door and ask to see if the mattress tags are still there, and no one's going to knock on your door asking to check your scanners to make sure they are all cell-blocked. These laws are aimed more at the manufacturers and dealers than private citizens like us. It's not like you can actually listen to cell phones anymore anyway - they are all digital and all encrypted.

I'd say so long as you keep your new R3 to yourself and don't try to sell it to someone else, you've got nothing to worry about. I had one for a while also before I returned it. Neat scanner, but these days with digital TV (and digital live shots in most markets) I found I didn't have as much of a use for it as I thought I would. I'd love to see ICOM create a new version of this thing that included 7GHZ and included both ATSC and COFDM demodulation. I'd buy that ASAP, but it would probably be a couple grand or more.

-AZ

cdesigns

I look at things like this the same way I look at the "DO NOT REMOVE" tag on a mattress. No one's going to come knocking on your door and ask to see if the mattress tags are still there, and no one's going to knock on your door asking to check your scanners to make sure they are all cell-blocked. These laws are aimed more at the manufacturers and dealers than private citizens like us. It's not like you can actually listen to cell phones anymore anyway - they are all digital and all encrypted.

I'd say so long as you keep your new R3 to yourself and don't try to sell it to someone else, you've got nothing to worry about. I had one for a while also before I returned it. Neat scanner, but these days with digital TV (and digital live shots in most markets) I found I didn't have as much of a use for it as I thought I would. I'd love to see ICOM create a new version of this thing that included 7GHZ and included both ATSC and COFDM demodulation. I'd buy that ASAP, but it would probably be a couple grand or more.

-AZ

I bought it because I have several 900mhz, 1280mhz, 2.4ghz video transmitters for my FPV planes, even though I have separate receivers for them, this one will store all the frequencies in memory so I can test video TX's on the go, no need to turn on my ground station just for testing. I still remember those days when I came home from school and I was able to scan cellphone conversations 24/7, IT WAS FUN......All I can say a lot of people cheat each other :).

u9ii.jpg

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Unblocked scanner

Posting in a public forum like this is a good way to notify the authorities. With all that we know about what the NSA has done, this site is easy to check for illegal activities.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Don't worry about it. I have an unblocked receiver at work that was obtained legally and for legitimate purposes. It doesn't take a lot of work to buy one, no secret handshakes or licensing. You won't get busted for owning it.

As was stated, there isn't anything you can really do with it. I've tuned across the cellular allocations and you won't hear anything other than digital noise. None of the cellular services are analog anymore.

The spectrum analyzers we have at work will also cover the cellular bands, and other than a really fat wad of money, there isn't anything at all stopping anyone from buying one. The law that restricts production of radios that will cover the cellular bands doesn't apply to test equipment.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Posting in a public forum like this is a good way to notify the authorities. With all that we know about what the NSA has done, this site is easy to check for illegal activities.

Yeah right. Like cops have nothing better to do than surf the radio reference forums, a hot bed of illegal activity. lmao..

OP, very cool equipment! I have a couple of R/C helicopters and a Super Cub airplane.

rwier

................................ I still remember those days when I came home from school and I was able to scan cellphone conversations 24/7, IT WAS FUN......All I can say a lot of people cheat each other :).

u9ii.jpg

Now that triggered a flashback, lol! In my case the radio was a tune-able, I put little strips of adhesive tape vertically on the dial to mark my favorites (FD, PD, mobile phones, etc.). After a while, you could recognize the voices..... "Hi honey, I gotta work late again tonight. Be home about 10:00." (hangs up, and redials).. Hey baby, I'm out front, shall I come in?" Straight, wide-open, clear as a bell, analogue.

cdesigns

Now that triggered a flashback, lol! In my case the radio was a tune-able, I put little strips of adhesive tape vertically on the dial to mark my favorites (FD, PD, mobile phones, etc.). After a while, you could recognize the voices..... "Hi honey, I gotta work late again tonight. Be home about 10:00." (hangs up, and redials).. Hey baby, I'm out front, shall I come in?" Straight, wide-open, clear as a bell, analogue.

Yeah I heard the similar things and creepy things too:

1) A woman called her lover after her husband left on business trip. Saying he left just now, come in about 30min.

2) a creepy one was when a woman was telling another person on the phone how to do a voodoo job on someone else and one of the items need it was a human bone from the cementery.

3) a guy telling his girlfriend on the phone I killed that guy because he was talking crap about me, and the girlfriend didnt say anything back, she just changed the conversation and planned to go to the movies. This was on a 900mhz cordless phone so they lived close to me.

It was super fun hearing those conversations for sure.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
I use to specialize in cell phone/cordless phones. LOL! FNSyfUUBITAhITAhLdznixJxg9B+WI+ZRgOK3bQt5f/0qbHIsyExMyG1/3Cj0sBlUi0oPUWvS0/u
pJnG5X8PSr8OLd9oal4kyjZ+oyExMyFgBijfg5MtSGB8utqcPc853mKc5uxJTC1oY5dNb+VP3Nyx
o9zL4c19LWlCRrO43udCITkhITkhXJGe/KIrLaiXuG7Rtm4/4nAslu8bOjgtf2sTCHOrL/zeZ0Ru
BXx3gi3C7A+bsqoXtjOI76Ym73XhLdPOHEId0q9pDzOYheFXLGgtuttqITE2MCHSc+FwyEx/+MVp
4d4t5VhQxfCRY0FUD+mOFdpAwi2nuaFNyD2KOiEwIcKMjX582r4tkErXITEyIe6ZaEzg/G5JbKvl
lC1lqEe00m5ofCasS2L3KthqLZb5QiExMyF2/ifmfis7T8l4ZPgtH3F5Ue5dLM+G1hL4LyuRgi3s
Y3qxz4+8rI8fBGw3OyxeLXh/ljerBQ99WPfRW22f6vMtwjFAITMzIVbjzWKeAvoe5uCUzC3gXFYh
MTIhehesriEwIZcc2feAlLct6T7mIsEXaz/HriExMyFeD9xLHi3rqtE+Ac3l5tZW5aQ

Most cordless phones that say they're 2.4 GHz are transmitting on 900 MHz. . I had a neighbor with a baby monitor once though and would tune into that. Talk about a house bug! :lol: If you want a good secure cordless phone buy Engenius. I have a DECT 6.0 and apparently it's encrypted when I inquired about it over the phone with AT&T. BTW, non-encrypted DECT 6.0 can be demodulated with Backtrack.

As to the IC-R3 I own one and a couple CCD cameras and like to connect it to my outside antenna just to search for someone's wireless cam. Haven't found one yet and I assume that's attributed to how deaf the IC-R3 is at high frequencies.

BTW, VPNs work wonders OP. :wink:

Edit- After a smoke I decided to not disclose what I did in the past and encrypted my text. :lol: "It's not for public consumption."

Last edited:

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
"I use to specialize in cell phone cordless phones. LOL! Had an impressive set up where I could recored three calls at once. When I got home for work I had hours of some classic entertainment. But usually it was just crap talk Hearing what people were talking about on 9/11 was interesting. Things like, "It's WWIII!" And, "we better get gas!" Then a lot of sex calls. Those were classic. heraing the cops cell phone were priceless! "

I unencrypted the text. Took me 8 hours on an Intel Core i5 processor w/ a 3 MB FSB and 8 gigs of ram.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Please tell me what you used to decrypt that. It was AES! Send me a PM.

There is no way. You must have seen my text prior to my editing. Although I was using a crappy Firefox add-on.

Here's something from a program I got on source forge. EBzjU32kUS2hEM0KJVhSUlELf3IRVXTaoaMXgYo6EE1Nsn56yQtXD+Uv4veLjxXoJcBb

Here's some text with the add-on. I'm curious to know whether you knew what I had wrote. kSc3g0UBITAhITAhLat87OQm9tAF0HOTT7SKS0QtFubwPfdzzk8QQ44

Last edited:

cdesigns

Optoelectronics sells a pretty good video monitor, but be prepared to pay the $$$. Optoelectronics, Inc.

You can buy FPV video receivers from Ready Made RC that covers from 900mhz to 1.3ghz , 2.3ghz to 2.5ghz , and on ebay they sell 5.8ghz 32ch Receivers, then you can build a nice video scanner. That's what I'm going to do in my shack :). I fly FPV and I have several of them. They cover all the frequencies that you need.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Please tell me what you used to decrypt that. It was AES! Send me a PM.

There is no way. You must have seen my text prior to my editing. Although I was using a crappy Firefox add-on.

Here's something from a program I got on source forge. EBzjU32kUS2hEM0KJVhSUlELf3IRVXTaoaMXgYo6EE1Nsn56yQtXD+Uv4veLjxXoJcBb

Here's some text with the add-on. I'm curious to know whether you knew what I had wrote. kSc3g0UBITAhITAhLat87OQm9tAF0HOTT7SKS0QtFubwPfdzzk8QQ44

Lol @ thinking a "firefox add-on" is going to encrypt your text correctly. Don't trust that for anything important.

Status
Not open for further replies.