Can I have more than 4 GB's of ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackink

I have an older Dell Inspiron 530 desktop with 4 slots, 1 GB in each slot. Motherboard is from Dell, model# OFM586. Intel chip socket 775 LGA. My computer now see's 3.25GB's of ram.

I was hoping to add more ram to this system as I was thinking of installing Windows 7 OS but I'm not sure I can. I can't find any real specs that tell me for sure at the Dell support Web site.

What I did find when entering my computer specs at Crucial.com was one of the items listed on the left side of the Web site states: How much memory your Windows OS will recognize depends on which version of Windows you are running. 32-bit versions of Windows will see (and utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB. To utilize more memory, install a 64-bit version of your OS.

If I install the 64bit Windows 7 OS, can I install 8 GB's or 16 GB's in this PC and have it recognized?

Thanks.......

InlandAZ

Nope, the maximum memory supported by the motherboard is 4GB.

Dell Part Numbers: FM586 0FM586
Compatible with: Dell Inspiron 530 530S

Specifications:

Socket: LGA775
CPU: (Max Support) Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700, Q6600, E6550, E4600
FSB: Bus 1333MHz
Chipset: Intel G33 Express Chipset
Memory: DDR2 677/800MHz SDRAM (Max DIMM Slots 4 – Max Memory Support 4GB
Expansion Slots:
PCI Express: x16 x 1
PCI Expressx1: x 1
PCI: x 2
SATA Ports: 4
RAID: 0/1 Support
Floppy: 1
Ethernet/LAN: Intel PRO/1000 Network 10/100/1000-Mbps
Audio Integrated: Realtek ALC88 HD Audio internal 7.1 channel sound
Video Integrated: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100
VGA Monitor Connector: VGA

QDP2012

...I was hoping to add more ram to this system as I was thinking of installing Windows 7 OS but I'm not sure I can. I can't find any real specs that tell me for sure at the Dell support Web site....

Please check page 179 of the Owner's Manual for more details.

Dell: Owner's Manual (.pdf via ftp)

It lists 4GB for one model (530 only) and 8GB for other models (530a, 530c). You will need to check to make sure which applies.

EDIT: InlandAZ might be more correct. I searched only for Inspiron 530, and did not search specifically for 0FM586.

EDIT2: You can also download and try the Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Tool to see if your computer is Windows 7 compatible. (Your mileage may vary. Some people swear at the tool, while others swear by the tool.) Link: Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor It will let you know if the computer is compatible with either 32-bit or 64-bit versions of Windows 7 or both.

Hope this helps,

Last edited:

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
From Tom's Shareware:
Posted by DELL-Chris M
on 27 Oct 2009 12:22 PM

The maximum memory for the Inspiron 530sb/530sd (System Chipset Intel G31 and ICH7) is 4GB.
The maximum memory for the Inspiron 530sa/530sc (System Chipset Intel G33 and ICH9) is 8GB.

AS for recognizing it, yes, you need not only the 64 bit version of windows 7, but also the one that isnt the stripped down one. Forget what they called it.

Blackink

Thanks for the help folks. Looks like I should just get a new PC.

I did the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and it did say my PC is compatable but I would have liked to increase the ram if I was going to install Windows 7.

I had even planned on adding a SSD and putting the Windows 7 OS on there as I've heard so many good things doing it this way.

Sigh......Thanks again.....

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
If you wanted for than 4 GB ram and that board is able to do more than 4GB, be sure to get the 64 bit version of windows 7.
32 bit windows only address' a max. of 4GB.

Kf4mnc

Depending on what you are doing 3.5 - 4 gig of ram can be plenty. I'd throw a SSD in there and see what you think. You'll be surprised and see more immediate/obvious speed increases from the SSD. Worst case if the SSD doesn't give you enough speed increase you can use it in another computer.

Blackink

Good point Kf4mnc. I could use it in another PC if I decide to buy one in the near future.

I've been researching computer builds and I'm seriously thinking of building my next PC.
It looks interesting and it'll be fun to do.

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
I put a 256GB SSD in my laptop (4 GB running win 7 32 bit) and it boots up in 7 seconds, and loads programs almost instantly. Id try the SSD first before going for more ram or another computer, if I were you. You can always use it in another machine should you decide to upgrad.e

CapStar362

If you wanted for than 4 GB ram and that board is able to do more than 4GB, be sure to get the 64 bit version of windows 7.
32 bit windows only address' a max. of 4GB.

its causally called 4GB but its physically 3.32 GB from the physical limitation of 32bit addressing

From Tom's Shareware:
Posted by DELL-Chris M
on 27 Oct 2009 12:22 PM

The maximum memory for the Inspiron 530sb/530sd (System Chipset Intel G31 and ICH7) is 4GB.
The maximum memory for the Inspiron 530sa/530sc (System Chipset Intel G33 and ICH9) is 8GB.

AS for recognizing it, yes, you need not only the 64 bit version of windows 7, but also the one that isnt the stripped down one. Forget what they called it.

dont know what your referring to, if Win7 Starter? thats only in 32bit version, the lowest variant of Win 7 64 Bit is Home Basic, which does allow upto a max of 8GB

Status
Not open for further replies.