Why keep audio files from a scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4yek

Hello to all,
I am just curious as to why someone would want to keep recorded audio from a scanner for extended periods of time. I can understand keeping them until you can review them or to go back and hear the beginnings of a callout or dispatch, but why keep things from months ago?

Chime in,,,,

thanks.

rbm

I log a lot of scanners and there are times that I don't review them at all unless something of interest takes place.

Also, logging that many scanners, it's a major project to review them all.
I just go back and review the pertinent ones depending on my interests at the time.

I typically save them for 6 months to a year because I've had people request them from me months after they were recorded.
That takes a lot of hard drive space which isn't all that expensive now. Top of the line HDD's now run around $45 per TB.
My computers typically have a minimum of 8TB each. Two of them each have 12TB. (They're all networked on my LAN)

I use ScanRec Pro with VOX so I don't record the 'quiet time'.

Major events I typically archive permanently.
A sample here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETW3z4mj5rM

Rich

Last edited:

rbm

I should also have mentioned that I log the '3 letter' agencies (and others) using a BCT15X or two.

Yes, they're 'mostly' encrypted.
However ............

I log the RSSI (s-meter) along with the other information.

From those logs I can 'deduce' when something big is coming down, generally what area they're in, and which frequencies (and agencies) are most active, in addition to the time of day, day of the week etc..

I can also tell by the sound if they're DES, P25 or some other digital mode.

I usually review those logs weekly and save them for longer periods of time.

(If modulation is imposing information on the radio signal, you don't need to hear spoken words to gain 'some' information and every little bit helps)

Rich

jfhtm350

There was a show on tv about airplanes crashing and such and there was a segment about Capt Sully landing in the Hudson and they played the actual radio transmissions. I assumed that is where that audio came from was an air scanner enthusiest that recorded it. I dont record but I suppose if I had something like that recorded, I would hang on to it for a little while.

n4yek

I dont record but I suppose if I had something like that recorded, I would hang on to it for a little while.

Well yea, if you recorded something like that I can see hanging on to it. Just not general everyday recordings that contains regular traffic.
But that's why they call this a hobby, each person does his or her own thing they way they like to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.