Westy P-25 system oddity re: dispatch UID's

Status
Not open for further replies.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Lately I've noticed that Pro96Com seems to register a UID of "0" for all dispatch radios on Westy's new P-25 system. Oddly, my 396XT alternatively registers a single UID of "256" for all dispatch radios. I'm still getting discrete UID's for other radios, it's only dispatch radios that seem to have the issue. I wonder what's going on here?

nathancarlson

I have also noticed that in Boulder County, where they have a DTRS patch to their Red (Fire) and Green (Sheriff) Dispatch channels. No matter who is transmitting, the radio ID is zero. With Longmont, there are several dispatch radio IDs, and when a user of a conventional radio is patched in, it is typically the same radio ID that always shows up. It seemed like before, the radio techs only had the zero for radio ID. Perhaps it is a different protocol for programming.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Boulder County used to have RIDs for their Red and Green patches, but at some point earlier this year it changed over to having RID 0. I think a majority of RIDs of 0 might be mostly due to some type of patching because it pops up on stuff like Metro Net (unless those are the Westminster consoles) and other channels with known cross system patching. I'm wondering if the DTRS side related to the DTRS software upgrade as they have been doing upgrades since late last year until now.

As for Westminster, it sounds a little like something intentional and looks like it has been going on since the system was first established. Perhaps they thought it wasn't necessary to identify when a console was on the system since they are presumably on 24/7 and operate out of the same room?

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Update: Lately I've noticed that certain dispatch TG's on DTRS seem to have a UID of "0" in Pro96Com (latest version), however my 396XT displays a totally different discrete UID, which suggests there could be a "bug" in Pro96Com.

Steve2003

The RadioID can actually come from one of two places:
1. The control channel itself
2. The embedded data within the P25 voice stream

I know the PSR-800 will display the RadioID from the voice stream if you are using one of the newer firmware versions. My PSR-800 scanner almost never misses the RID because of this (even if I tune-in mid conversation).

On the other hand, some of the older scanners (and Pro96Com) will only pickup the RadioID from the control channel. The control channel will only broadcast the RID at the beginning of the voice grant (i.e. if you miss the beginning of the voice grant you miss the RID).

Sometimes the RID on the control channel will be completely different from the RID on the voice stream. This is especially evident with dispatch consoles when listening to Lakewood / West Metro on my PSR-800. I'll see the RID just before I hear voice on the scanner (from the control channel). The second I hear voice the RID jumps to 0 (from the P25 voice stream).

I can't remember if the BCDx96XT series of scanners pulls the RID from the voice stream or not, but this could explain what you are seeing....

If you have the capability, DSD4Win will show you the talkgroup and RID directly from the voice stream. Might be worth looking at.

(Also, the data within a voice stream also indicates if another talkgroup becomes active mid-conversation. This allows the PSR-800 to jump to a priority channel without having to to wait for the current conversation to end, much like an official radio on the system).

Status
Not open for further replies.