The Colony FD Digital Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMBFireman

Feed Provider
FYI - The Colony Fire Department is switching to digital this afternoon from what I have been told. I just found out this information and they possibly may have already switched. I have my Home Patrol-1 in discovery mode to try and find the talkgroups when they switch. They will be an add-on to the Plano, Allen, Wylie, McKinney P25 system.

For anyone who ever listens to the Denton County Fire/EMS live audio feed The Colony FD will no longer be available on that feed until I am able to upgrade to digital equipment.

Brandon

DMBFireman

Feed Provider
If The Colony has not been picked up by another audio feed provider I will probably add them back to the feed.

Problem so far is funding to upgrade my equipment. I just upgraded my personal scanner to get ready for the switch coming to the rest of Denton County in the summer. I don't have the funds to upgrade the other scanners that I use for the audio feeds right now. I've had a donation link up on the feed info page for awhile but nobody has donated anything. This is no surprise. I'm currently exploring other ways of funding the upgrades to equipment but what I see happening is that the Denton County Fire/EMS and Lewisville FD feeds may be shut down for awhile until I can get some help with money for upgrades.

Brandon

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
If The Colony has not been picked up by another audio feed provider I will probably add them back to the feed.

Problem so far is funding to upgrade my equipment. I just upgraded my personal scanner to get ready for the switch coming to the rest of Denton County in the summer. I don't have the funds to upgrade the other scanners that I use for the audio feeds right now. I've had a donation link up on the feed info page for awhile but nobody has donated anything. This is no surprise. I'm currently exploring other ways of funding the upgrades to equipment but what I see happening is that the Denton County Fire/EMS and Lewisville FD feeds may be shut down for awhile until I can get some help with money for upgrades.

Brandon
With Denton/Lewisville headed for Phase II, Garland & Mesquite doing the same, and Carrollton should be live on their Phase II system before long, I've also had to upgrade. Grand Prairie will be Phase II when they transition over to FWRRS, and I believe Arlington will be the same. From what I've seen posted, PAWM may also switch to Phase II before long.

jasday

Hey Steve, is Denton Co amd the surrounding going for Phase 2 for sure? If so, that would put a dent in my pocket book.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hey Steve, is Denton Co amd the surrounding going for Phase 2 for sure? If so, that would put a dent in my pocket book.
Hi jasday

That's what I've heard. I would note that Denton County, very recently, obtained a new license for 700MHz frequencies with the emission code for Phase II. WQVV340 (DENTON, COUNTY OF) FCC Callsign Details

Also see this post and the thread it's in.

With Carrollton moving very soon, Grand Prairie, Arlington, Garland, Mesquite, along with PAWM, all headed towards a move to P25 Phase II, I am now telling anyone who asks for a scanner recommendation (for purchase) to get a Phase II capable unit if possible. Irving & Forney, of course, are already on the air with their Phase II systems.

DMBFireman

Feed Provider
Yes it's looking highly likely from what I have been hearing at work and seeing with the bits of publicly available information that most of Denton County will be switching to Phase II digital. I just upgraded my portable scanner to a BC436HP (which I am VERY happy with) but my online scanners providing the feeds will have to get upgraded at a later date.

Brandon

Stephen

Denton County is trying to get bids and contracts done for their system. They are in dire need of a new system as Motorola has told them that their entire system is no longer under warranty and most of their stuff is heading into the stage of no more parts available except ebay. The city of Denton is looking at about a 3-6 year window to replace their system as their repeaters are newer and are under warranty, but the cost of replacing portable in use by all of the public works personnel will require some time. So the city will remain analog for the time being.

Status
Not open for further replies.