PA Statewide P25 Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
Following some comments in the DCNR thread, I thought this would be a good place to discuss the new P25 system in the works.

Blaze36

Premium Subscriber
Request for information for a dream was requested. No money budgeted this year, going to the Gov's Office for Yea or Nay next cycle... At least two years till someone is selected. So, put this on hold for a while.. the other option is keep OpenSky, pray Harris gets all the problems worked out and spend a ton of money piece mailing other systems into this one.

rrbum

Premium Subscriber
I predict over a billion taxpayer dollars will be squandered before they walk away from this proprietary schlock. What with radios becoming "obsolete" so quickly, an obvious ploy to keep the cash rolling in, and more than likely even more microsites needed to make it even work. What a mess these politicians have created by not asking for expert opinion and trusting salesmen.

W3DMV

Amazing how slow the wheels turn. Must be still spending money on
the open sky system. Several weeks ago a tower crew appeared at the local
PADOT building and erected a real nice 120 foot tower next to the 60 ft utility
pole that was holding their open sky antenna. The antenna was transferred
to the tower and remained there for about two weeks.
A short time ago the tower crew again appeared, put the antenna back on
the pole, removed the tower and departed. Increased coverage test ?
Had a notion to stop and see if they could move the tower to my back yard
since I'm a tax payer in good standing (I think) This is the kind of thing movies
are made of........ Stay tuned.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
I predict over a billion taxpayer dollars will be squandered before they walk away from this proprietary schlock. What with radios becoming "obsolete" so quickly, an obvious ploy to keep the cash rolling in, and more than likely even more microsites needed to make it even work. What a mess these politicians have created by not asking for expert opinion and trusting salesmen.

It's funny that you mention radios becoming obsolete "so quickly". All the M-803 mobile radios will be at "end of life" or no longer officially supported by Harris at the end of this year. Maintenance contracts in place will require the repair shops to be able to service these radio for a few more years after that. But...there is a sudden need for hundreds (thousands?) of new mobile radios to replace the M-803's in service all over the place. That's a lotta dough.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
It's funny that you mention radios becoming obsolete "so quickly". All the M-803 mobile radios will be at "end of life" or no longer officially supported by Harris at the end of this year. Maintenance contracts in place will require the repair shops to be able to service these radio for a few more years after that. But...there is a sudden need for hundreds (thousands?) of new mobile radios to replace the M-803's in service all over the place. That's a lotta dough.

Our lovely Pa government in all it's glory! I hope whatever they come up with finally fixes the mess they created! If any of us are even still alive by then. LOL

chankel

Premium Subscriber
If the new system doesn't need all of the gapfiller towers that OpenSky requires perhaps some of the cost of the new system can be defrayed by selling the unneeded sites to tower leasing companies. Another means of helping to reduce costs would be to sell limited access to some transit and utility providers, much as the Commonwealth does now with OpenSky - but only if the system has sufficient capacity to handle the non-essential traffic without reducing functionality for 1st responders and essential users.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
If the new system doesn't need all of the gapfiller towers that OpenSky requires perhaps some of the cost of the new system can be defrayed by selling the unneeded sites to tower leasing companies. Another means of helping to reduce costs would be to sell limited access to some transit and utility providers, much as the Commonwealth does now with OpenSky - but only if the system has sufficient capacity to handle the non-essential traffic without reducing functionality for 1st responders and essential users.

The state already has a process in place to lease space on their owned towers. Many sites are on leased space though so they would save by cancelling those leases.

Trunking is already pretty efficient so space should be available for other users. Going straight to P25 phase 2 would help that efficiency even more. Although I understand it would be a downgrade of sorts since the current crap is 4+ slots per rf channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.