• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

using ferrite cores on coax cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASAD

Hi.
I'll be using a collinear antenna (Antenex) for >450 MHz. I was wondering if it's necessary at all to use ferrite cores around coax cable underneath the antenna to curb reflected power? Or should I coil the coax a couple times by the antenna? If I use Andrew Heliax, which doesn't bend, what do you do in this case?

prcguy

I can't imagine a commercial VHF or UHF antenna not being adequately decoupled from the coax. You can usually test it by watching reflected power while running your hand up and down the coax near the base of the antenna and the reflected power should not change.
prcguy

cmdrwill

The Antenex so-called co-liner antennas are just a J pole made with 19 gauge wire. Get your self a much better real antenna.

PRC guy IS correct, most real commercial antennas do not need decoupling.

SCPD

QRT
Coiled

Hi.
I'll be using a collinear antenna (Antenex) for >450 MHz. I was wondering if it's necessary at all to use ferrite cores around coax cable underneath the antenna to curb reflected power? Or should I coil the coax a couple times by the antenna? If I use Andrew Heliax, which doesn't bend, what do you do in this case?

I've made a few homebrew co-linears and needed to have something to take the signal off the shield.
I prefer to coil the coax.
For UHF, I say about 4 or 5 six inch diameter loops.
Since your feedline won't bend, make a loop out of something like 8X, and put it between the antenna and the heliax.

Status
Not open for further replies.