PSR800 data cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gar45

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have any idea where I can obtain a data cable for the PSR800? Their website is out of service and I have even tried Ebay without success. I can't update the firmware or make changes to the scanner without it. Thanks!!!

Gar45

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys, however, I have 3 cables now that all fit the scanner but the software says no scanner detected on any port. It isn't the computer i am using because I have tried it on several and I get the same response. I would have thought it was a specialty type of usb cable vs a standard one?

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys, however, I have 3 cables now that all fit the scanner but the software says no scanner detected on any port. It isn't the computer i am using because I have tried it on several and I get the same response. I would have thought it was a specialty type of usb cable vs a standard one?

Try plugging the cable into another device and see if that loads. If not your problems are with the cable and you just had bad luck three times in a row. If another peripheral works with the cable then it's the radio.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Also have you installed the current drivers for each cable??

The cables do not need a driver as they are just dumb cables full of wires but... the radio does need the GRE USB drivers installed.

I thought they installed along with EZScan software but I don't recall if you need to point the unknown device in device manager to the EZScan drivers folder or not.

KE5TLF

I almost always have fits getting the thing to recognize with my XBOX 360 wireless controller dongle also plugged in.

I usually have to unplug both, plug in the the PSR-800, powered off of course so it actually comes up as a removable drive, then plug the 360 wireless dongle back in.

Point being make sure some other device on your USB bus isn't creating a problem for you too.

matthias_h

The PSR 800 software installs the scanner driver but it will only work when connected to USB 2.0 ports on the computer. USB 3.0 ports use drivers on the OS side that don't work with some USB 2.0 device drivers, such as the PSR 800.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
The PSR 800 software installs the scanner driver but it will only work when connected to USB 2.0 ports on the computer. USB 3.0 ports use drivers on the OS side that don't work with some USB 2.0 device drivers, such as the PSR 800.

That can cause a problem for poorly written USB3 drivers.
Most also have a layer that emulates USB 2.0 and below for backwards compatibility.
I have a new desktop running Win7 that only has USB 3.0 ports. When I look in device manager, there is a driver listed for the USB3 hubs that also gives them USB2 and slower capability.

I've not yet encountered a problem with any USB2 (or slower) devices being plugged into any of my USB 3 ports.

I mainly have two types of USB 3 hubs, a RENESAS (the chipset on the motherboards) and an add in PCIe card made by VIA. I expected troubles with the VIA card but it also runs all my USB 2 and slower devices just fine. That includes the PSR800.

So in a nutshell, USB 3.0 hubs should either have a hardware layer in the chipset or a software layer in the drivers that will allow USB 2.0 and below devices to work without problem.

I'm sure there are some poorly written USB 3 drivers though that could cause issues for USB 2 and slower devices.
So your point is valid and the OP should use a USB 2 port for troubleshooting.

JANFINE

Premium Subscriber
GRE PSR-800 cable

You have to plug the USB cable into both the computer and the radio (turned off).
Wait a few seconds and you should hear a sound. If your software doesn't see your radio wait a minute and try again. You might have to close down your software and then open it again.

Gar45

Premium Subscriber
ok. So I have purchased another usb cable for the scanner. I was able to update the DSP firmware but when I try to update the CPU firmware it doesnt detect the scanner. I followed the prompts telling me to turn off the scanner and press menu while plugging in the cable. But when I click the check for updates button I get that message. Any help is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.