NXDN compatible with Yaesu Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

n9upc

I do not know if this has been asked before or tested but is NXDN FDMA 12.5khz voice compatible with Yaesu Fusion voice? (Yes...I know it is in Analog...ha ha ha).

In reading I think that it might be possible but the only thing would be how the RAN codes in NXDN (1-63) relate to the digital codes that Fusion (1-1??) has.

I am presenting something this month as a start to knowing which digital mode should be pursed. Sadly each has it's own positives and negatives so user beware.

If anyone has tried and had success it would be great to know. Thanks in advance.

n9upc

Thanks for the reply and I figured someone has had to have tried it once already.

In looking at the Fushion specs: FDMA C4FM @9600baud on 12.5 khz and the looking at NXDN with same spec I wondered if the two would be compatible.

Not to start a flame war but it would have been nice for Yaesu to adopt dPMR if not DMR.

Once again thanks for the reply!

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Thanks for the reply and I figured someone has had to have tried it once already.

In looking at the Fushion specs: FDMA C4FM @9600baud on 12.5 khz and the looking at NXDN with same spec I wondered if the two would be compatible.

Not to start a flame war but it would have been nice for Yaesu to adopt dPMR if not DMR.

Once again thanks for the reply!

Agreed, it is vague enough for the conclusion, but no they are not the same format. I fully agree. They already produce DMR equipment, and there are a large number of commercial formats being adopted by amateur radio, NXDN, DMR, P25 it would look like they are actually listening to their customers had they produced some thing hams are currently using... But nope, something new, and nobody else makes... Yaesu did it again, just like wires.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
And some originally thought it was compatable with P25. NOT. Just a use only FUSION. Thus no interoperabililty with other amateur digital modes.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
We all new from the first time we put our hands on the FT1D at Dayton that it was compatible with absolutely nothing. As has been said already, it was a dumb move. The specs were specifically vague as to which vocoder was being used and the air protocol. The USA Yaesu folks were also completely in the dark. Way to engage your local sales offices, Yaesu.

A friend said however that the reason D-Star has the following it does is because it's a ham radio, and most hams are afraid of commercial gear. Perhaps Yaesu will sell a few after all. Just not to me.

kc2oon

Believe it or not Fusion is identical to P25 phase 1. If it were not for one small thing. The deviation frequencies that make the 4 levels of C4FM.

Fusion uses +900 Hz, +2700 Hz, -900 Hz, -2700 Hz
P25 uses +600 Hz, +1800 Hz, -600 Hz, -1800 Hz.

n9upc

Believe it or not Fusion is identical to P25 phase 1. If it were not for one small thing. The deviation frequencies that make the 4 levels of C4FM.

Fusion uses +900 Hz, +2700 Hz, -900 Hz, -2700 Hz
P25 uses +600 Hz, +1800 Hz, -600 Hz, -1800 Hz.

Keith -

Thanks for the information as that was what I was looking for and trying to figure out. I do have to say though I am wondering how they achieve the 6.25 Khz voice and 6.25 Khz data mode?

To bad someone could not get in to modify the deviation settings so that it could be adjusted by either the 300 Hz or 900 Hz respectively. Seems like this might be a challenge to someone familiar with code????

kc2oon

The answer.

Keith -

Thanks for the information as that was what I was looking for and trying to figure out. I do have to say though I am wondering how they achieve the 6.25 Khz voice and 6.25 Khz data mode?

To bad someone could not get in to modify the deviation settings so that it could be adjusted by either the 300 Hz or 900 Hz respectively. Seems like this might be a challenge to someone familiar with code????

If the radio was an SDR (software defined radio) you probably could adjust the deviation, but even easier would be to simply upload the P25 codec to the SDR radio. I don't think you can adjust the deviation.
As far as getting data and voice on the 6.25 kHz at the same time.....The radio actually treats them as two totally different channels. That is the true nature of FDMA. With the other modes (digital only or high quality voice) the radio simply uses one 12.5 kHz channel.

Keith
Kc2oon

Status
Not open for further replies.