Status
Not open for further replies.

RohnsRadio

Premium Subscriber
I have been hearing a data buzz (sounds like P-25) on 155.295 for the last few days.
very strong, so don't think it is skip.
looked in data base all users in NC are listed as analog.

any ideas?

and for the record I am in eastern NC

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
Are you still hearing it? I'm over here by the Falling Creek golf course and have not heard it.

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
Interesting! I'll keep it in the scan mode on the dual band radio and see if it shows back up.

RohnsRadio

Premium Subscriber
ok......... i will agree it could be scada but, cant think of what it would be on a medical frequency.

the fcc data you listed with the mobile callsign of KT5508 was a license for what used to be called area coordinators. that was the mobile callsign for all Office of Emergency Medical Services (OEMS) mobile units. they would end transmission with something like "State 236, KT5508"

did not know the license was still good as since VIPER has come out very little use on VHF or UHF by the state. locals still use it for dispatch and "patch" to their trunked system.

that being said i will reasearch this some more. you have given me something to think about.

RohnsRadio

Premium Subscriber
155.295 again

the buzz is back all weekend .
took my 396 and programed it for p-25 and......... it does not see it

so, some type of data seems to be it. it was suggested SCDA and that seems more likely. the question is, why?

it does not seem to be local. I hear it on my base but not handheld or the mobile for that matter

we will have to see.

Under the KT5508, the State OEMS license shows these for data:

6K00F1D SCADA Carrier Frequency Shift Keying
6K00F2D SCADA Audio Frequency Shift Keying

I don't know what they would be using data on VHF for, but who knows....

Mitchell County is licensed under KWE557 with all sorts of different modes, including MotoTRBO. Too bad you couldn't catch a CW id or something. It could possibly be coming from outside North Carolina. With some of the ducting I have been hearing the last few weeks, who knows where it is coming from...

I have had 295 in CSQ mode on my base radio here and I haven't heard anything other than Lenoir EMS being dispatched.

Last edited:

RohnsRadio

Premium Subscriber
try listening at night. i heard it last night.
got to be so annoying i turned the vol down.
its not local. can not hear it on handheld but can hear it on outside antenna.
Yes, I have tried a differnt radio and it follows to the new radio.
When Lenoir county uses the channel they key over it.
its got me.

RohnsRadio

Premium Subscriber
and some of the weird digi modes did come to mind.
went to web site that had recorded samples of digi modes and none really sounded like it .

I heard a blip or two of it over the last few days, but not enough to really get an idea of what it was. The couple of milliseconds I did hear, sounded like I was getting intermod from a paging transmitter somewhere. I was hearing some type of interference on that frequency when they had a call going the other night, sounded like interference or skip coming into the system somewhere, like something coming in and keying their transmitter from their end.

I do like the patch they do have, its nice to hear both ends of the conversation...

I can also hear the county fire repeater much better than the 440 ham repeater from N4HAJ in Kinston.

KO4RJX

Premium Subscriber
It could be POCSAC paging. We have 5 transmitters on 155.235 in Johnston County for digital paging.

RohnsRadio

Premium Subscriber
i would not rule out some kinda of pageing system. does not sound like POCSAC.
really,..... it does "kinda" sound like FLEX, now that you mention it. but, i still think thats not it

like i said before it is not local to Lenoir county. I can only hear it on the base with outside antenna. can not hear on mobile radio or hand held.
and it is not transmitted with CTCSS , which would suggest data burst or maybe pageing.

story goes on .....................

Status
Not open for further replies.