Home Patrol on its way

Status
Not open for further replies.

seagullplayer

I live in Indiana, I am told the Home Patrol is really the only game in town.

Last night I finally caught one on Amazon refurbished for a price I would pay.

So its suppose to be on its way! Should be here next week.

I am pretty rural, but most of the listening we are interested in would be in a 20 mile radius.
Will I need an out door antenna? We are in hilly southern Indiana.

If I need an outdoor antenna; what and where to get it?

Thanks

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
As the previous poster mentioned, you can't go wrong with an outside antenna, especially if you are in a valley instead of toward the top of the hill.

The Indiana state system is a good solid system. I'm hearing the Floyds Knobs, Henryville and Charlestown sites fairly well with my outside antenna here in Louisville.

Owing the your specific location, you may also receive the MetroSafe system. Unfortunately you may not hear the New Albany fire system as it might use a technology that the Home Patrol doesn't decode, but I'd try it just to be sure.

Rules of thumb on outside antennas: Get it as high as you can and use the best coax you can afford.

seagullplayer

Thanks for the replies!

I have a 50 ft tower I use for TV and CB, that is where the outside antenna would go.

We had a scanner for decades, but after they all changed over we lost it all. Looking forward to hearing traffic again. Mostly I am interested in Crawford, Orange and Harrison county activity.

I had an outside antenna at our old place 20 years ago, it was common to pick-up traffic from other states!

I guess I am gonna wait till we get the unit and see how it preforms as supplied before buying anything else.
I have read that a good external speaker really helps?

Can't wait till it gets here, I would love to have it over the upcoming Holiday weekend!

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You might visit the page below and download the Sentinel software. This is the program you can use to create Favorits Lists. This may help you to get a head start on the scanner.

It also has the latest manual for you to read.

WebHome < HomePatrol < TWiki

I'm sure with an outside antenna, you'll receive those things you want to monitor.

An external speaker is beneficial. To me the sound is clear. External speakers come in both amplified and non-amplified. Amplified speakers require a 12 volt power supply, so using one of these may be an issue.

wbswetnam

I would HIGHLY recommend using an outdoor antenna with an HP-1. The 50 cent stock antenna that comes with it is all but worthless. For an indoor antenna, the Diamond SRH-789 is hard to beat.

On my HP-1 I use a homemade folded dipole antenna (made for 144-148 MHz ham radio band) mounted in the attic. It works like a champ at bringing in almost all VHF frequencies from counties around me plus the Arkansas AWIN system.

Another thing about the HP-1: DO NOT use the Sentinal software that comes with the radio! it is outdated. You must use the newer version available as a free download from the website, HomePatrolSentinel < HomePatrol < TWiki

I really like the Homepatrol-1. It is not as sensitive as other scanners but I love the features and the display screen. Enjoy!

seagullplayer

I would HIGHLY recommend using an outdoor antenna with an HP-1. The 50 cent stock antenna that comes with it is all but worthless. For an indoor antenna, the Diamond SRH-789 is hard to beat.

On my HP-1 I use a homemade folded dipole antenna (made for 144-148 MHz ham radio band) mounted in the attic. It works like a champ at bringing in almost all VHF frequencies from counties around me plus the Arkansas AWIN system.

Another thing about the HP-1: DO NOT use the Sentinal software that comes with the radio! it is outdated. You must use the newer version available as a free download from the website, HomePatrolSentinel < HomePatrol < TWiki

I really like the Homepatrol-1. It is not as sensitive as other scanners but I love the features and the display screen. Enjoy!

I read through the online manual, it looks like the Sentinal software once loaded from the unit will search for an update on its own? So it will download the latest on its own? Is this correct?

I have a "better" indoor antenna off my old scanner, I will give it a go.

Thanks ofd8001, for the manual link!

scma127

Premium Subscriber
home patrol on its way

question I see you posted donot use the sentinel software that come with radio its out dated downloaded the lastest version from uniden.i went to the link you posted will this software work with my bcd436hp as well

dmg1969

You'll like the HP-1. It was my first digital and I have only had it since earlier this year. I use mine as a mobile during the week and a base to replace my BC355N on the weekends. I have a Hustler MOR-B up in the attic (ranch house) and it picks up quite well for my needs. Let us know how you like it.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
question I see you posted donot use the sentinel software that come with radio its out dated downloaded the lastest version from uniden.i went to the link you posted will this software work with my bcd436hp as well

The sentinel software for the HP1 will not work with the x36 series. They have their own software.

seagullplayer

It came and it is up and running!!!

Question: Can you change how long it hangs on a channel after the transmission stops, to help keep you from missing a quick reply? Thought I had read you could but I can't find it in the manual.

Also, can you set a priority to scan?

So far we are loving it! I can see I want to upgrade my "rubber ducky" in the very near future.

dmg1969

It came and it is up and running!!!

Question: Can you change how long it hangs on a channel after the transmission stops, to help keep you from missing a quick reply? Thought I had read you could but I can't find it in the manual.

Also, can you set a priority to scan?

So far we are loving it! I can see I want to upgrade my "rubber ducky" in the very near future.

See my reply to the other thread you created regarding setting the delay.

seagullplayer

See my reply to the other thread you created regarding setting the delay.

Thanks Dave, I was looking for a way from the touch screen. Looks like I may have to become more familiar with the software.

At first I was not very impressed with the reception, but after I got it all set-up I moved it to a window location, and it was night to day different.

I will just leave it alone for a few days and see what else I may change. I think I will want to get more selective of what we are scanning, but just not sure yet.

dmg1969

Sure thing. Enjoy. I love my HP-1. Unless I am 100% wrong and oblivious...I don't think there IS a way to change the per channel delay from the radio. Even if there is...it would be much quicker to do it from Sentinel.

My best advice is to become familiar with Sentinel and use it to program. I was intimidated at first, but it is actually very simple once you get the hang of it.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

PS...definitely go with something other than the included rubber ducky antenna. Outside is preferable but an attic mount would be better than nothing. That is what I opted for.

mule1075

Feed Provider
You can change the delay per channel if you are scanning a favorites list.Hold on the channel you want to delay then tap on the right side of the screen and click advanced and tap edit current channel.

wbswetnam

Instead of buying a commercially-made antenna, why not make your own? I followed the plans in this YouTube video (link below) with a piece of plexiglass I got at a glass shop, a 7' piece of 1" PVC pipe, some scrap RG58 coax ending with a BNC connector, and coat hangers for the elements! It cost me less than $15 and it was fun to make. I mounted it in the attic and it works quite well as a scanner antenna / 2m & 70 cm ham radio antenna.
Ham Radio 2m/70cm Vertical Dipole Antenna - YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.