Why no personal info display when first powered on

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4UVV

In what I call the profile configuration portion of Sentinel software is a section for the user to enter a maximum 4 line display of customized text entries if desired, like that found in the 396XT and 996XT configuration setups. However after transferring the hpd file to the 536 and subsequent initial powering on the 536 totally ignores displaying the customized entries previously made in Sentinel Software.

I assumed that section in the Sentinel software was for that purpose. I can find no mention of this "feature" discussed for Sentinel Software in the manual Otherwise why have it? Am I doing something wrong?

John

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
However after transferring the hpd file to the 536 and subsequent initial powering on the 536 totally ignores displaying the customized entries previously made in Sentinel Software.

John

When you say that you are transferring the HPD file, do you mean that you are actually (manually) transferring that HPD file from your computer directly to the SD card in the scanner via the mass storage mode (or a card reader) and Windows Explorer.

Or are you using Sentinel to "write" to the scanner after making those entries in the "display options" tab in the Sentinel "profile editor" and saving the changes?

W4UVV

Another learning experience

When you say that you are transferring the HPD file, do you mean that you are actually (manually) transferring that HPD file from your computer directly to the SD card in the scanner via the mass storage mode (or a card reader) and Windows Explorer.

Or are you using Sentinel to "write" to the scanner after making those entries in the "display options" tab in the Sentinel "profile editor" and saving the changes?

Tnx for your reply. I have an update regarding my issue. Actually "hpd" was my typo. Although after creating one partially (Only one entity "append from" is needed) completed favorite list in Sentinel Software I can use Butel ARC536PRO to create, edit and write favorite lists to the 536. The changed file saved and written was a Sentinel Software updated profile "hpe" file via a "Mass Storage" USB interface..

I am very familiar using ARCXT PRO and 396XT and 996XT software which is very easy to use for files creating, editing and transfers. I dread having to use Sentinel Software for anything, but I had to for certain initial basic file setup requirements. A few weeks ago I finally created a successful profile and one partial favorites list. Then using Butel ARC536PRO I successfully imported selected ARC XT files and created "hpd" favorites files and subsequent writing to the 536.

After my post I searched the RR archives and found a Sentinel Software setup checklist someone had posted months ago for a "nothing to scan" file issue. In Sentinel Software I sight checked each RR checklist item and noticed one requirement was to have service type "Custom 1" checked. I had not initially checked "Custom 1" service type because I don't have any custom service files. I selected "Custom 1" anyway and saved the "hpe" file and did a file write to the 536. That is all I changed.

I powered the 536 off and then on. Guess what? Now the text message displayed correctly. Sentinel Software also had changed my display option but I knew how to change it for my preference.

When I selected "Help" in Sentinel Software my help was "Version 1.02 (Revision 01)" .

Another learning experience. Tnx. again for your reply.

John

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
ARC as far as I know doesn't read/write profile data, which is where the "personal greeting" is stored. Only Sentinel does that. Has nothing to do with the "Custom 1" service type.

W4UVV

All I know is what worked

ARC as far as I know doesn't read/write profile data, which is where the "personal greeting" is stored. Only Sentinel does that. Has nothing to do with the "Custom 1" service type.

You are correct Jay and tnx for your reply.. ARC Software cannot read/write profiles because Uniden will not license 3rd party vendor software, i.e., no competition. ARC software can only read/write 436/536 favorite's list. But once I created just one "append from" selection file required to create a favorite list I never had to use Sentinel Software again for creating, editing and reading/writing favorites lists. I use ARC536PRO which although not perfect is easy to use and does everything I want and provides a multi-color display Virtual Control display of activity. I use selected files from my 80,000 record database for Virginia which overall are more accurate, comprehensive and contain many missing radio service frequencies than the RR database files. I imported selected XT files to create my 536 favorites files.

I agree it should have made no difference selecting or not selecting "Custom 1". All I can tell you is when I additionally selected "Custom 1" service type the opening message text displayed first the first time on powering on. I have no interest in debating the issue with anyone. It now works which is all I care about.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.