Osage County MotoTurbo system

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have any updates on the MotoTurbo IP Site Connect system being installed in Osage County?

WPNT670 (OSAGE, COUNTY OF) FCC Callsign Details

From reading the wiki and MotoTurbo literature, it doesn't look like this system will be able to be monitored and is not compatible with any other radios for interoperability purposes. I see they have licensed pagers on the system, but from what I have been able to find online there aren't any pagers that work with TDMA systems. Is there updated info on that?

MOTOTRBO - The RadioReference Wiki

MOTOTRBO

N0JRD

Premium Subscriber
A lot of there cars are using the smaller phantom antennas then the bigger high gain UHF whips.

nec911

I am taking two courses in my PhD program so I have not kept up with the news or talked to many folks down there.

About a month ago I did hear a couple things. I heard that they were looking into it but for Law only. I do not know if they are actually doing it or not. I believe that Fire/EMS and EM were going to stay on the same system. I can understand the reason for the Law wanting to having the option of secured channels. As homeland security professional I understand but as a scanner junkie I think it sucks.

I also heard that the radios they were getting or thinking about for Moto-turbo would be dual banded. I did not know such a creature existed, but I been wrong before.

I do think that after the last KEMA meeting I attended, there was talk about those on the state system having encrypted channels and it impacting interop. I was informed a couple weeks ago that if they go to Moto-turbo, they were going to have radios that will allow them to still have conventional UHF/VHF so they can interop with Fire/EMS and EM as well as other counties. Might be one of those things where Moto-bridge gets used more.

I know the radio I have with Osage County in it will not work other than the conventional, but I can understand why they might want to go to a more secured in this day and age. I can understand it, but as a ComL anything that makes interop more of a spit and bailing-wire fix at O-Dark-Thirty is concerning.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
I was told that Osage was shooting to go live with this system in July. They had replaced almost all of their subscriber units with XPR6550's and 5550's. I am with you nec, I haven't heard of any dual band MOTOTRBO capable radios.

firefive76

The radios are NOT dual band, they are analog/digital. There are several reasons that they opted to do what they did. Those being: secured channels, roaming without constantly changing channels, GPS, just to name a few.

All of the radios that were in use before the switch over to the TRBO radios were 15-20 years old. The encryption boards were all failing and no longer produced. The mobile radios were also no longer supported and no parts were able to be obtained for them.

In regards to interop, since these radios are analog and digital, LE will still have interop with the whole county. Nothing will change there.

In regards to the antennae on the cars, the high-gain antennas and phantom antennas are no longer used. All vehicles are using 1/4 wave antennas. (S.O. anyway)

Oh, and don't get me started on the Motobridge. Not that it would work anyway as there are no towers nearby except the borders of the county.

firefive76

Mostly XPR5550, 6550, a few 7550's. After some major set backs, the ball is finally rolling. Waiting on FCC license modifications at this time (moving to different towers.)

N0JRD

Premium Subscriber
Is it just the SO moving to the system? All the fire departments well remain as they are?

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
Anderson County has already made the switch. I've been listening with the ADCR25.

Anderson County went DMR? Last time I was down there (not that long ago) Garnett was still analog. Thought they would eventually go KSICS.

firefive76

Annnndd it's finally going as of yesterday morning. Units are running on the "common" channel pending all getting in and re-programmed with digital templates.

Status
Not open for further replies.