Whistler scanners out and being sold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed6698

I don't see Uniden matching their prices to the age of their 5yr old scanner BCD396XT , they are right around the same price as the Whistler scanners, if not more.

Last edited:

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The 396xt is about the same age, and sells for the same price, in case you hadn't checked lately. Why shouldn't the equivalent Whistler sell for the same if they are basically the same in capabilities?

Last edited:
Whats age really got to do with it,the models capabilities are a static issue.
Its not like mileage on a car,they come out with a model then change the trim from year to year.

there are plenty of systems that are P1 P25 digital,and plenty of buyers who have no care about
big displays with multiple lines of system info.Many just want a radio that will work in their area,and the convenience of alpha tags.

The popularity is as easy to find as the bids that are placed on models that come up for sale on Ebay,
The pro96 still sells,106's,500's...pro97's...PSR310's go fast..(wish I still had my 310)...

Its more about the consumers needs and that will keep the prices where they are.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
When original Whistlers hit in 2/3 years, the prices will go down slightly. Not to mention the sales that will pop up, Black Friday anyone???

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
I don't see Uniden matching their prices to the age of their 5yr old scanner BCD396XT , they are right around the same price as the Whistler scanners, if not more.

The 396xt is about the same age, and sells for the same price, in case you hadn't checked lately. Why shouldn't the equivalent Whistler sell for the same if they are basically the same in capabilities?

Nice to see some common sense and reason. People seem to be overlooking the fact that the old gen Unidens are in the same price range.

rwier

Has anyone seen a cost/credit/rebate table for the trade in program...wouldnt mind sending in my 800 for a 500(or whatever the Whistler equivalent is)

Don't need a new radio myself, so I haven't been watching the "scene" to closely. However, I do not believe there could possibly be a new Whistler scanner superior to either of my two GRE 800s. And to be fair, I would say the same thing about my three HP-1(E)s, as they relate to Uniden. These statements are based upon my own personal listening requirements and experience, and are (admittedly) unlikely to be the same for everyone (maybe anyone) else.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Its not like mileage on a car,they come out with a model then change the trim from year to year.

there are plenty of systems that are P1 P25 digital,and plenty of buyers who have no care about
big displays with multiple lines of system info.Many just want a radio that will work in their area,and the convenience of alpha tags.

The popularity is as easy to find as the bids that are placed on models that come up for sale on Ebay,
The pro96 still sells,106's,500's...pro97's...PSR310's go fast..(wish I still had my 310)...

Its more about the consumers needs and that will keep the prices where they are.

Exactly! What's important here is NOT how long the unit in question has been on the market, but more of IS it capable of working with our current technology standards?
I still have a Pro-197 and a 106 that works flawlessly on our states P25 system as we speak. IS the latest and greatest really all that important?
I'll just wait til P1 happens in my area before I spend dollars needlessly.

n9zas

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
I am watching this closely, as I will need a Phase II capable scanner in the near future. Lake County is in the process of switching from their end-of-life EDACS system to a P25 Phase II system (maybe part of Starcom, maybe stand-alone) in the next year.

Hopefully the WS1080/1095 will come out by then; I'd get one of each for my wife at home (1080) and for my car (1095).

mainetrunk

Don't forget guys, if they REALLY wanna grab us, they should add TRBO,NEXDEN,PHASE II.. I mean, how hard can it be? ( for a SMART tech ) The pro 106 and sisters are awesome. I mean you can't beat when you hit TUNE and search, find an ltr or regular/p25 CC MO: system it tells all, and arranges it for you when you hit STORE. Problem is---whistler can fix?, do that same trick on EDACS systems.. If more items ( chips,circuits ) have to be added to the scanner for alll of those requests, then just add 1/2 inch of thickness to the SHELL. Same look, just thicker and AWESOME...

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987

The 310 is a nice radio, isn't it? Mine is a workhorse for quite a few of the local trunking systems. Gonna pull the trigger one of these days for a 410.

As for the the Whistler models, I was toying with the idea of getting the 1040 off of Amazon. That 395 price was mighty tempting, but since I already have a PSR-500, I decided to hold off on another scanner.

:)

ScannerSK

I wonder if software/firmware upgrades for the Whistler line of scanners will work on comparable models of either the GRE line or RadioShack line of scanners?

Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.