Nypd and TRBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this today

qu3e7a9y.jpg

I was wondering if that's TRBO and is it for special detail? Or a side job?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lafd55

That's a MOTOTRBO radio, maybe detail as I highly doubt the NYPD would go that route and not P25.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Looks like his NYPD radio on his other shoulder. Probably working security, such as at a retail outlet and has one of their radios too.

I also noticed the collar brass, doesn't show a precinct number, not familiar with those letters. (this may be a tip too).

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
Nypd cops are allowed to work side jobs in uniform. Back before each cop had a radio assigned to them, you could often tell by no radio and collar brass from another boro that they were working on the side.

Now the cops will cary a nypd radio when working on the side. If the side job has its own radio such as the turbo they will cary that as well. You might notice this a lot in midtown areas.

CqDx

Probably the shot was taken at Rockefeller Center. The NYPD cops there are also assigned the MOTOTRBO radio for security detail.

BonziBuddy

XPR radios can do analog conventional, too. Also notice the speakermic on his shoulder? That's probably attached to his primary issued radio.

That XPR is either used for something non-NYPD like some have said, or it could be his personal portable he carries just for access to other agencies frequencies without having to change the channel of his duty portable.

Or maybe it's his ham/gmrs radio :-D

blaze

Premium Subscriber
CTTF is Citywide Traffic Task Force, which is, as the name suggests, detailed to various traffic and special event operations as needed.

No idea what the deal is with the extra portable, but it isn't NYPD issue (and, given the other microphone, is in addition to his "real" radio).

ff026

Feed Provider
Yankee stadium detail DOES NOT use TRBO. They use a tac channel I can't remember which.

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
Yankee Stadium security uses an LTR Passport system. I program all the frequencies in conventional and with 0 delay. The only problem is the 1/2 second data bursts every 10 seconds or so. The voice is analoge in the clear.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
That's not an NYPD radio, but a Rockefeller Center Security radio which, I believe, they just switched to. Not to long ago, they were on a 400 UHF analog system but, apparently, switched recently.

Those cops are on 'routine patrol,' assigned to RC, but not working for RC as a "side job."

The collar device on the cop is: "Counter Terrorism Task Force."

"That's a MOTOTRBO radio, maybe detail as I highly doubt the NYPD would go that route and not P25."

Whatever they decide to switch to, they may do it sooner rather than later, even if it's just for special details. From what I'm hearing, the bosses are not too happy with the way the NYPD radio system was accessed by outside people during the Ferguson demonstrations/Thanksgiving Parade, or transmissions interfered with from within the NYPD. .....

http://forums.radioreference.com/ne...g-nypd-media-during-protests.html#post2294129

Last edited:

blaze

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure who told you that CTTF is "Counter-Terrorism Task Force", but they're wrong.

CTTF is "Citywide Traffic Task Force". They're assigned to high-traffic areas. Nothing specific about counter-terrorism.

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
I didn't hear any major issues during the protests on CW1 the other day.

However during occupy wall street, they would just keyup and block the channel.
Anytime they tried to give movements or other important info, someone would just keep keying to block all the transmissions.

Would be interesting to see if they try to do something to address the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.