436 Clock Re-Set Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbo695

Hi. When my 436 sits for a while (like overnight) I have to re-set the clock in order to operate the unit. It re-sets fine but it's a pain having constantly to do this, as you may imagine. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Leave it plugged in and turned on longer in order to more fully charge the Real Time Clock battery (takes 50 total hours).

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Is this when using the stock batteries, Alkalines, or a different set of rechargeables?

325xia

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure which battery's I was using. I have so many that I rotate through the scanner. I use an external, individual cell, charger. They last very long, (2500 mh). The clock has lost time. It's lost 3 minutes this week.

JamesO

My 436HP clock is dead nuts on. I have had it about 4 months and it has not been my daily scanner for the past few weeks since I purchased my RAM windshield mount for my HP1E.

I have turned it on every few days lately while in the house, but the unit has always on batteries since I have owned it.

Just compared the clock now to my cable STB which has networked time. I believe this is what I had originally set the scanner to when I received it months ago.

rooivalk

The clock issue is a pain. On my 436, when i set the clock, the radio will freeze. I have to remove the batteries to shut the radio off. When I restart the radio, the time is 00:00 and the date is Jan, 1.

Sybex7254

Leave it plugged in and turned on longer in order to more fully charge the Real Time Clock battery (takes 50 total hours).

I also have been experiencing this problem and I've done this for the better part of a week and the clock STILL needs to be reset after not using the radio for a few days. This needs to have a better fix implemented soon. Unacceptable to have paid as much $$ for this radio to have the stupid clock not keep a charge!

durangoGreg

I also have been experiencing this problem and I've done this for the better part of a week and the clock STILL needs to be reset after not using the radio for a few days. This needs to have a better fix implemented soon. Unacceptable to have paid as much $$ for this radio to have the stupid clock not keep a charge!

I agree. I have the 536 and keep it constantly plugged in. Unfortunately the poor design doesn't trickle charge the battery while plugged in and turned off.

You always have to leave the radio on to keep the battery charged just to keep the clock set. Now people are having problems with the display fading. My guess is that they leave their radios on to charge the clock battery and it is shortening the life of their displays.

Really dumb design. This needs a tweak with a future firmware update.

R2

Premium Subscriber
I would leave the 436 plugged in for 2-3 days at a time, and when powering on a few hours later, needed to reset the clock. Sent the radio to Uniden, work order said the BT401 was replaced.
Working fine so far (fingers crossed)
BTW, I do not use the recording feature, and really have no need for the clock.
Would be nice if the feature could be disabled in a future update.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you've had the scanner plugged in and turned on for 50 hours and still have clock problems, the clock backup battery is defective. Send the scanner in for repair.

XTS3000

My 436HP clock is dead nuts on. I have had it about 4 months and it has not been my daily scanner for the past few weeks since I purchased my RAM windshield mount for my HP1E.

I have turned it on every few days lately while in the house, but the unit has always on batteries since I have owned it.

Just compared the clock now to my cable STB which has networked time. I believe this is what I had originally set the scanner to when I received it months ago.

Same here, the clock in 6 months lost 1 minute. Not bad.

I've left the 436 sit for a month without powering it on (good charged set of batts) and it maintained proper time.

Sounds like for a very small percentage of units may have a defective mini clock battery.

VE3RADIO

If you've had the scanner plugged in and turned on for 50 hours and still have clock problems, the clock backup battery is defective. Send the scanner in for repair.

I have the same problem on one of my units.. the other two are fine.. but its such a PITA to send in a scanner for repair.. if one of my customers has a problem I just replace it and deal with the problem myself.. I wish Uniden had the same customer service I provide to my customers.. but you end up sending it in a waiting for 3 weeks to get it back.. forget it I will live with the issue.

VE3RADIO

JUST plugged in or plugged in and turned on? You need it turned on to charge the clock battery.

Terrible design...

Regardless there is a known issue with the internal battery sucking donkey nuts... it does not effect every unit.. but it is a reality.. One of my units has the problem.. the other two I have are fine.

vstream02

Mine did this. I would leave my radio on(no usb charging here.) after it shut down due to dead batteries it held the clock info.

durangoGreg

Really, this the solution for a $600.00 radio. Send it in to a repair center that is thousands of miles away, takes months to fix anything, and then have them send it back with a note saying that my unit is out of warranty and there is nothing they can do. (MY Unit is nearly a year old). How about just having a user serviceable battery?

Like I said, horrible design. What is going to happen 5 years from now when all of the internal batteries lose their ability to take a charge? Is the solution to have every owner send in their radios for repair.

Like I said, I hope that Uniden changes the way the radio demands that the clock be set upon startup with a firmware change. It would be easy to allow an option that would allow the radio to bypass clock set option or allow the radio to set the clock via the internet if wifi is connected. This is assuming Uniden delivers a functioning wifi module and Siren app with the next firmware update.

Soundman

I am having the same problem with my bcd536hp and now my bcd436hp .This is so stupped I have them both plugged in and I am still have the problem . What is the deal .I can give a crap about the recording time . This need to be fixed .I have never had this problem with my old scanners.

Voyager

I am having the same problem with my bcd536hp and now my bcd436hp .This is so stupped I have them both plugged in and I am still have the problem . What is the deal .I can give a crap about the recording time . This need to be fixed .I have never had this problem with my old scanners.

Not to repeat myself, but...

JUST plugged in or plugged in and turned on? You need it turned on to charge the clock battery.

And how many of your old scanners had built-in clocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.