Calgary

Should Calgary Digital Radio be changed to City of Calgary?

• Yes, City of Calgary is more accurate

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • No, leave it alone

Votes: 9 81.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mciupa

I received a submission that requests a name change from Calgary Digital Radio to City of Calgary. The reason being given was that it is not exclusively digital and there are analog users of the system.

Calgarians, and those who wish they were, please vote if you want the name change or to keep it status quo.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Status quo, although I do not live there, it is how most people I know(both in and out of Calgary) refer to it. Really, in a few years that radio system will probably go away, or be converted to P25 anyhow... Then it really will be CDR...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
It's also not exclusively City of Calgary. There are also users from Rockyview County, Municipal District of Bighorn, Alberta Justice & Solicitor General, Calgary Airport Authority, and ENMAX Corporation, to name a few.

CDR was the official name of it at one point, IIRC. I don't know if that's true now or not, and as you all know, it would be a poor career choice for me to make any more input than that.

The only other thing I'll say is that I think it's semantics to argue about it one way or another.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
It's also not exclusively City of Calgary. There are also users from Rockyview County, Municipal District of Bighorn, Alberta Justice & Solicitor General, Calgary Airport Authority, and ENMAX Corporation, to name a few.

CDR was the official name of it at one point, IIRC. I don't know if that's true now or not, and as you all know, it would be a poor career choice for me to make any more input than that.

The only other thing I'll say is that I think it's semantics to argue about it one way or another.

Agree. I do not think it would truly reflect what it covers. If anything Calgary and Area Radio might be better, but I see no point at this time to even consider a change.

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
Calgary Digital Radio is the best describes the system. That and what the users call it.

As much as the City of Calgary rents use out to 3rd party users like AHS, ENMAX, Alberta Justice & Sol Gen, Calgary Airport Authority, and is maintained by TAC Mobility, its still known as Calgary Digital Radio

I voted no change.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Actually no, P25 systems do not support analogue voice. It is a Motorola type 2 smart zone system (3600bps control channel)that operates in mixed mode, with P25 voice.

P25 systems use 9600bps control channel (AFFRCS is a true P25 system, where as CDR is not)

There is a BIG difference between a mixed mode type 2 system and a P25 system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
P25 systems use 9600bps control channel

The SmartX device can allow a P25 system to run 3600 sites, appearing to all outside observers as a 3600 system. They even support analog, but the telltale sign is that the dispatcher (console) voice sounds decidedly like it's been put thru the IMBE vocoder.

mciupa

Poll closed. No name change per consensus. Submission rejected with explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.