Siren App Update !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KN4QHZ

Ok....last Update was 21 May 2014 from Upman. So 2 months have pass with no explanation or current status of the Siren App. I purchased the radio basically for this feature.

SCPD

QRT
I feel your pain bro - but posts like this are popping up every other week by guys like you and I. I think we are just going to have to wait it out, UPM will post when he's ready to seems to be the common denominator. I guess either file a BBB complaint or wait like the rest of us on an answer.

Good luck!

southernCTscan

Feed Provider
I was going to wait till the end of the day to post something similar just to give Uniden the benefit of the doubt. Frustration is exploding all over the forum and still no update from Uniden. It's truly amazing to witness the total lack of communication, respect, and loyalty to the customer from Uniden. They do not answer emails, telephone contact is all but impossible, and no official word here on the forums, amazing! I have owned just about every type of scanner Uniden has sold and while some have had issues nothing compares to the 536. Just to get my feed online I had to use "workarounds" because they did not include a line out function on the radio, presumably because the app would take the place, but who really knows? I have waited very patiently and have held my tongue on the forums but enough is enough Uniden, please give us some answers!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
While we are, in fact, working on this, I have no update to provide at this time.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I was going to wait till the end of the day to post something similar just to give Uniden the benefit of the doubt. Frustration is exploding all over the forum and still no update from Uniden. It's truly amazing to witness the total lack of communication, respect, and loyalty to the customer from Uniden. They do not answer emails, telephone contact is all but impossible, and no official word here on the forums, amazing! I have owned just about every type of scanner Uniden has sold and while some have had issues nothing compares to the 536. Just to get my feed online I had to use "workarounds" because they did not include a line out function on the radio, presumably because the app would take the place, but who really knows? I have waited very patiently and have held my tongue on the forums but enough is enough Uniden, please give us some answers!

Seems a bit like Microsoft's release of WIN ME to fund WIN XP. That POS software never did work. Perhaps the x36HP line is like that.:D

phillydjdan

I think that response about makes up my mind. Whistler will now get all future business from me.

JamesO

I just want a hard wired dongle, forget the WiFi dongle, you can deliver that 2 years from now as long as I have a working hardwired dongle. :D

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Well, as you can see an update that says there is not an update doesn't travel well. Anyone here work for Broadcom? I could use another lever to push. Meanwhile, we have restarted app development using other methods (more tedious/convoluted) that will avoid the intrinsic issues with the adapter. Until the app developer can assess fully the schedule impact, I can't really provide a timeline update (which, I know, is what everyone really wants).

JamesO

Well, as you can see an update that says there is not an update doesn't travel well. Anyone here work for Broadcom? I could use another lever to push. Meanwhile, we have restarted app development using other methods (more tedious/convoluted) that will avoid the intrinsic issues with the adapter. Until the app developer can assess fully the schedule impact, I can't really provide a timeline update (which, I know, is what everyone really wants).

Paul, this is really so simple, if you can get one of the $3.50 hardware USB dongles working, the App can be FULLY vetted regardless of the final wireless dongle.

Wireless adds a WHOLE LOT OF BAGGAGE to any connectivity issue. PLUS, I think MANY here would be happier with a wired solution, but having both options would really be a better solution and wireless was originally promised.

The App should be BLIND to the interface. The interface should be transparent to everything but the scanner configuration files for control and housekeeping of the dongle.

I can add/cascade a wireless client on ANYTHING that has a hardwired interface. I do this all the time. I get lazy at times and just drop a router with open source firmware on a desktop, TV, DVD player, Home Theater Receiver or even a network printer without wireless and add these to my networks all the time.

I assume this has turned into a "Who's on first?" game as the App guy claims he cannot test anything until the wireless is working. The scanner firmware guys cannot test and verify the wireless if they cannot properly configure and control it in firmware. This just goes round and round in circles all day long.

Additionally you should be able to get almost any USB wireless device and cobble it in, even just for testing/proof of concept as long as the scanner firmware can recognize the USB wireless device, control and configure it.

Broadcom, well I am not sure if this is better or worse then Intel Wireless. I have been in the computer/networking field for over 10 years and all I can say is these wireless vendors take a LONG time to sort things. Intel cannot deliver a REAL working driver for their hardware until at best 18 months after the hardware was shipped. Broadcom, we they were pretty good, but with all these new wireless N and AC standards, I think this is just tipping the boat over. I find time and time again now even with Broadcom that I deal with customer connectivity and speed problems and find that the Broadcom wireless devices can upload faster than download and then when I go to Broadcom's site to look for drivers, there is nothing new, they are MONTHS/YEARS behind on a lot of the products.

I guarantee you that your firmware guys should be able to get a hardwired dongle up and working is a week or less, then they will have rock solid connections to test any Apps. The way to do this is get a dozen hardwired dongles, set up 2 or 3 on Windows machines and make sure they work well, can pass data with barfing and can handle and respond to pings for days without going stupid, then you can transition to integrating the firmware on a few mule scanners. You need 3-5 test mules that can all run together, then introduce new firmware to just one mule and see how it compares to the others, then roll the firmware throughout the group.

I do not envy you guys, ever since the newest wireless N and AC standards on the newer wireless devices I am having more headaches. I prefer legacy hardware at this point, I get sick and tired of being on the bleeding edge while these companies try to sort out the firmware/drivers for their latest and greatest junk they deploy. It is really hard with laptops, but many times I buy a cheap legacy wireless card for the laptop on ebay for $10-$20, swap it out while I wait the 18+ months for the drivers to be released that may actually work!

wise871

Database Admin
Well this is certainly not good news. :(
I hope the development of the Analyzer function is fairing better.

BIODTL1997

Premium Subscriber
Will Uniden refund my $600 for a product that has been collecting dust waiting for this App to be released since the store it was purchased at will not?

I'm done

sfd119

Paul, this is really so simple, if you can get one of the $3.50 hardware USB dongles working, the App can be FULLY vetted regardless of the final wireless dongle.

JamesO-

You keep saying you want a hardwired dongle. That's great for you, but probably isn't practical for anyone else...including myself. Pretty hard to get a hardwire ethernet connection with the scanner mounted in a console in my truck.

JamesO

JamesO-

You keep saying you want a hardwired dongle. That's great for you, but probably isn't practical for anyone else...including myself. Pretty hard to get a hardwire ethernet connection with the scanner mounted in a console in my truck.

Unfortunately you are one of the many that DO NOT UNDERSTAND.

Like anything in life, things take time and you have to OPEN up your mind to the BIGGER picture.. But Uniden was hardset and decided to go with a WiFi adapter out of the gate, BIG MISTAKE. What they should have considered was exactly what I have suggested, Phase 1 = Hardwire, Phase 2 = Wifi.

If a hardware would have been implemented, the App and features would have been operational NOW. Then for anyone that wanted/needs WiFi in a mobile or stationary application, this could be EASILY accomplished assuming you did not mind spending no more than $50 for a wireless client. Also adding a wireless client that may be an actual router you might actually get much further range with diversity antennas, adjustable and higher transmit power AND connections for external antennas that can be mounted for greater incident scene range.

The Uniden WiFi dongle is very limited and does not give you any/many options.

So for everyone that says hardwired would not work for them, I FULLY understand, however, I am pushing to get ANYTHING working and moving along AND a hardwired option would give far greater networking stability and flexibility. Ironically enough, a hardwired solution might only be a week away?? The scanners networking portion is already about 1/2 way there, with the WiFi dongle the scanner can find a network and get IP addressed assigned. I assume the issue with the WiFi dongle is stability and/or configuration issues. Maybe there is another piece I am unaware of like some sort of Tunnel, DynDNS or protocol pass through, but at the end of the day this should be straight up networking and the App/scanner application should be able to transparently pass through a network connection.

If and when Unided can get their WiFi dongle sorted out it could be released, until then at least there would be working Apps and an interface that worked and if people needed wireless, they could add their own external wireless client adapter.

Last edited:

sfd119

Unfortunately you are one of the many that DO NOT UNDERSTAND.

Like anything in life, things take time and you have to OPEN up your mind to the BIGGER picture.. But Uniden was hardset and decided to go with a WiFi adapter out of the gate, BIG MISTAKE. What they should have considered was exactly what I have suggested, Phase 1 = Hardwire, Phase 2 = Wifi.

If a hardware would have been implemented, the App and features would have been operational NOW. Then for anyone that wanted/needs WiFi in a mobile or stationary application, this could be EASILY accomplished assuming you did not mind spending no more than $50 for a wireless client. Also adding a wireless client that may be an actual router you might actually get much further range with diversity antennas, adjustable and higher transmit power AND connections for external antennas that can be mounted for greater incident scene range.

The Uniden WiFi dongle is very limited and does not give you any/many options.

So for everyone that says hardwired would not work for them, I FULLY understand, however, I am pushing to get ANYTHING working and moving along AND a hardwired option would give far greater networking stability and flexibility.

If and when Unided can get their WiFi dongle sorted out it could be released, until then at least there would be working Apps and an interface that worked and if people needed wireless, they could add their own external wireless client adapter.

Last comment from me, I don't want to contribute to another Siren App thread being closed.

James,

How are you supposed to connect to the scanner via an app Ad Hoc in your aforementioned setup? You can't. WiFi isn't the problem, it's the vendor of the card they have picked.

But, keep dreaming, there won't be a hardwire version of the dongle.

JamesO

Last comment from me, I don't want to contribute to another Siren App thread being closed.

James,

How are you supposed to connect to the scanner via an app Ad Hoc in your aforementioned setup? You can't. WiFi isn't the problem, it's the vendor of the card they have picked.

But, keep dreaming, there won't be a hardwire version of the dongle.

Simple, no need to use Ad Hoc, as you just use the same device in a Router mode. In router mode, you can connect the phone and the scanner to the router and you have a network even without the WAN connection as it is not required in this configuration. Simple and flexible.

This is what Unidern and EVERYONE else is missing, a wired dongle gives SO MUCH more flexibility.

Again, I am not advocating not providing the WiFi dongle option, I am advocating rolling out a wired solution that can actually work before the end of Summer assuming the Apps have had any work done on them. The problem is Uniden chose a vendor that has a product that cannot do something, probably fairly simple, that the product should do. Uniden's put all their eggs in one baskets and at the moment Unden/We are at the vendors mercy on schedule and fixes.

It's as simple as you have to learn to walk before you run. Nothing complicated or hard about getting a wired dongle working, even if Uniden wanted to charge owners for them, they should be able to provide them for under $10-$15 even with their outrageous mark up and shipping. Uniden could probably buy these in quantity for under $4 each.

No need to lock, close or moderate this thread. These discussions need to be had. Opening up peoples eyes and mind is a good thing. I cannot color on the lines, much less inside the lines/box and I come up with all sorts of solutions that the average person seems to be blind about.

VE3RADIO

Simple, no need to use Ad Hoc, as you just use the same device in a Router mode. In router mode, you can connect the phone and the scanner to the router and you have a network even without the WAN connection as it is not required in this configuration. Simple and flexible.

This is what Unidern and EVERYONE else is missing, a wired dongle gives SO MUCH more flexibility.

I agree.. wired would be a lot better.. at least to start..

N4OGL

Premium Subscriber
Just one honest Siren App question

I've been following these Siren app postings for some time - I find them fascinating. And I hear (sometimes loudly) the frustration in everyone about this app, from RR members to UPMan himself. I can't imagine anyone wants to be in Uniden's position, especially when they want to grow the market (like any rational company would).

I wanted to ask a question about the Siren app and its interface, and I hope the moderators will leave the thread open until an answer materializes (or UPMan might respond directly, if the thread gets locked). I find the possibility of wireless mobile operation really cool, because it means I don't have to pull another wire from the scanner to the front of the car to get it to work (as I would have to if the WS-1095 comes to fruition).

My question: How come Uniden chose a WiFi dongle for the remote interface, instead of the more-common Bluetooth?

Was it because there are so many BT signals in the environment (especially the little RF box you drive to work every day) that it wasn't practical for interference reasons? Range? Honestly, I'm just curious, since this seems to be the first WiFi remote application of its kind out there.

While I'm certain Uniden has through of this as a workaround, is it even feasible to engineer the app to work with both a BT dongle as well as a WiFi dongle? Then the user could select their choice. Or is it unrealistic to think the WiFi development scales to a BT solution? (Or, perhaps more to the point, is it too far down the road in too small a market to make the investment?)

Honestly, and without blaming or anger, I'm just curious.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.