Eton E1 or Commradio cr-1a?

Status
Not open for further replies.

APSN556

Premium Subscriber
I'm about to pull the green stamp trigger on a new/used portatop receiver. I've owned the e1xm before, and loved it. I took it with me all over the country. I regret selling it. Now that I'm in the market for another, I keep hearing mixed reviews on the new cr1a by Commradio. Price difference aside, have any of you done any comparisons between the two radios?

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
I had the E1XM and regret selling it as well.

I think the CR-1a could be better (I have it) if software better then the demo software is ever released. It's like a select few of us begged for SDR computer functions and now we are going ok, why did I do this?

The E1 does have QC issues and is the reason I got rid of mine. It was flawless it wasn't even sticky, but I worried how long it would last and I sold it while it was working and worth money.

Are you looking for something portable?

APSN556

Premium Subscriber
Are you looking for something portable?

Yes, and I have narrowed it down to these 2 radios, after doing a ton of research. I've accepted the fact that I will likely have to remove the sticky finish on any E1 I come across. Like you, the one I sold was flawless and had no sticky issues (at the time.)

In terms of portability, the cr1a wins hands down. I'm wondering how it compares though in sensitivity and selectivity with the E1.

I also had a pristine ICF2010 at one time, but sold it, after getting the E1 because [the e1] performed MUCH better IMO.

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
Yes, and I have narrowed it down to these 2 radios, after doing a ton of research. I've accepted the fact that I will likely have to remove the sticky finish on any E1 I come across. Like you, the one I sold was flawless and had no sticky issues (at the time.)

In terms of portability, the cr1a wins hands down. I'm wondering how it compares though in sensitivity and selectivity with the E1.

I also had a pristine ICF2010 at one time, but sold it, after getting the E1 because [the e1] performed MUCH better IMO.

I had the Sony as well. I think the Sony is so close to the performance of the Eton that today I would probably get a used Sony over the E1. It's just so close.

I got rid of my R75 for the CR-1a if this says anything. The R75 is a wonderful radio but the CR-1a is about equal where it counts. If you like settings and tinkering with them the E1 will be much better, if it is performance before anything the CR-1a will make you very happy.

The sync on either the Sony or the Eton is a great feature but the Cr-1a is very good with ecss so thats about moot.

On a side note, I just a couple moths ago got a Sony 7600GR and the radio is just great all around and the sync is really nice and I have to say I did miss it a bit. And I do a whole lot of MWDX and the Sony is good at it. But I have to say the CR-1a gives me added benefit of using big antennas and that is a huge advantage in any radio.

So given what you want, the CR-1a would be a better choice I believe. It is as good as the R75 as far as where it counts in the receive department. It has more filters then any other radio mentioned which is very nice. PBT is missing however but I have to say I have never missed it. On AM it is decent and might be a bit better them my Sony because I can hook up my QX loop, but I would have to say if AMDX is something you are into (MW), I think the E1 was a little better perhaps and the PBT can help in that area.

We are talking about great radios and any one of the ones mentioned would make anyone happy I would think. The big added advantage of the CR-1a is the possibility of computer interfacing, but this is IF anything ever comes of it. I hope it does but who knows. It just may become the novelty addition that never came to be, but then in may not.

Last edited:

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
I would like to add.

Those recording are pre a bunch of firmware updates. I was pretty much the first consumer with the radio in my hands. The radio has improved a lot since those recording were made. The volume has been addressed, the AGC has been improved, the S-Meter has been improved and there are a host of other improvements.

In the videos you can see that the radio does indeed "hear" everything the R75 does. Much lower volume in the videos and this is no longer the case.

It is a very good radio. There are better and I have had better but for a portable there is not much more that can touch it. I would say the E1 would be close but it is a lot bigger and not near as portable. Of course the CR1 is no good with a whip so that is an consideration.

I also wanted to clarify why I said I would get the Sony over the Eton. With the Eton if you got a good one you had a keeper and we should have probably kept ours. I don't think we will be talking about the E1 30 years later while many of the 2010s are still ticking after all that time. The E1 display is indeed a work of art but when I got rid of mine they were very hard to find and are probably gone now. So you are one failure away from a door stop.

The Sony just works. It is very close to the E1 in performance minus a couple whistles and it is actually much better off the whip. It is not as bulky and for portable operation it is much better suited then the E1 (like the CR1 it needs a proper antenna to shine). Not to mention a pristine Sony can be found much cheaper.

morse

CommRadio CR-1

Hi if you are looking for a CommRadio CR-1. I have one
For sale $ 350 bucks its yours

Check or cash thanks larry

Status
Not open for further replies.