R71A Digital Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrnavy2

Ocean Twp, Monmouth County, Central New Jersey
Hello all, just wondering how easy it would be to replace a Digital Display on the R71A? Everything else works, except the Display does not show the Freq's. I can put in number using the keyboard and also who the dial but the Freq's do not show up. So any idea what this might be and if it is a easy fit. Thanks Steve..

Fast1eddie

That's a oldie and a goodie! Can't let her die!! I have a 71A, and it is without a doubt probably the best radio (aside from the military) I have laid my paws on. Let me check, I might have a service manual somewhere. My initial thoughts is voltage to the display ain't makin' it. Doubt the display is bad, if everything was working fine then nothing, that is where I would check. If the individual digits were starting to go then yeah, maybe. Gotta be something feeding signal to it.

Let me get back to you tomorrow. PM me with your email if you would.

Many thanks for your service!

dkf435

Then if you go down on that page I linked it will describe the capacitors on the high voltage circuit on the display board

Knowledge Base Article 5BMC2857A6

Issue
On my R71, the frequency display blanks out periodically with only decimal points remaining.

Resolution
Display DC-DC converter has noisy output.

Replace all of the following dried-out electrolytic capacitors on the display unit: C15, C16, C17, C18, C19, C20, C21 and C22. These capacitors are bright yellow when new. If they have turned brown, they are old and dried out.

While servicing the DC-DC converter section examine the board closely for cracked solder joints as this section of the radio runs hot. Also, we recommend reprogramming the RAM card after servicing the DC-DC section.

Right now there are listings on Ebay from Canada with capacitor replacement kits
Icom IC-R71A-R71E HF Receiver Capacitor Replacement Kit

David Kb7uns

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I don't think I've ever seen an actual bad display, but I've seen a lot of the browned caps over the years. I've replaced a bunch of them for other people in the past, but none of the R-71a's I've had needed them changed out. This area of the radio does run pretty hot, and I've a couple of R71as with a fan added to blow air through the radio. One of these installs was done well, the other was pretty crudely done(as in Dremel tool), but it sure did work for keeping the radio cool

dkf435

I run all my Icom radios off 12v external power supplies the internal ones put too much heat into the radio. I actually mounted a small fan on the rear of the R71a with 2 small machine screw passing through the upper ear grate and had it blowing out and it sucked quite a bit of heat out of the radio, made a molex plug that plugged in the back external power plug, (have the CK70 DC kit on the radio).

David Kb7uns.

Status
Not open for further replies.