Radioworld is coming to Calgary!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
Hello fellow members,

I don't know if you have heard, but Radioworld is opening in Calgary this weekend, called Radioworld Central. The store is located where the old GPS Central was, on Blackfoot Trail near SHAW GMC.

The new website hasn't been launched as of Today (July 22) but will be at RadioworldCentral.ca . They will have the same prices as the Toronto store but the lucky ones in Calgary and area won't have to pay for shipping anymore.

Attachments

• Radiowolrd BBQ.jpg
    Radiowolrd BBQ.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 2,494
Last edited:

smason

Handy if you want something right away. And a decent location too.
Pretty close to GPS Central, bet they're not too impressed. :)

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
But I thought Radioworld was joining up with GPS Central [or the other way around] so won't be in competition with each other. But I wonder just how big the amateur radio part will be.

VE6BRW

GPS Central or Radioworld

Well that's confusing, when clicking on the web site in your post it just goes to GPS Central..... hmmmm nothing but GPS units and stuff not a thing on Amateur radio, Shortwave radios etc.
But on the brighter side yes that's great news to her them coming to Alberta.

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
The Calgary store is called Radioworld Central because it's Radioworld and GPS Central together. I don't know how the ownership goes but it's in the GPS Central location.

Heidi750

Premium Subscriber
Sounds Good ... Looking forward to visiting
Sorry I'll miss the BBQ

Can anyone from Radioworld confirm you will be doing repair work at this location?
(Specifically Uniden scanners)

smason

But I thought Radioworld was joining up with GPS Central [or the other way around] so won't be in competition with each other. But I wonder just how big the amateur radio part will be.

Oh, that makes sense, also explains why it looks so close to GPS central on Google maps :)

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Will they still have prices like Radioworld in Ontario, where an HP1 costs the same as a smart car?

mciupa

Database Admin
I hope Customer Service is better, in Ontario they can size you up in about 10 seconds after you open your mouth. That will determine what sort of experience you will have with them. More like Customer Circus for some of us. :(

yorkphotog

Premium Subscriber
Ditto, mciupa!

For the most part, there's not much I like about Radioworld in Toronto. The prices are high, service is poor (they know what they're talking about, but good luck getting information without attitude) and the store's hours are horrible.

smason

I didn't look at the radio prices. GPS prices were in line with what GPS Central was before.
I asked, and the staff said prices should be the same as Radioworld Toronto.
I said they're on average $100-$150 more than my 2 favourite U.S. dealers on several $500ish items that I usually compare. They said they're line with other Canadian dealer prices. :rolleyes:

SCPD

QRT
Ditto, mciupa!

For the most part, there's not much I like about Radioworld in Toronto. The prices are high, service is poor (they know what they're talking about, but good luck getting information without attitude) and the store's hours are horrible.

You got that right York! I absolutely wil ever step foot in that store again after the way I was treated!

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
I have heard this debate for years, about how all Canadian radio retailers are way out to lunch on there pricing. When I was buying my Uniden 436 when they were first released I looked at the price from NTF Communications, Radioworld, Scannermaster and HRO. HRO and Scannermaster were close to the same price, with Radioworld and NTF higher. After I called VISA to get the exchange rate for that day, calculating the shipping price (and exchange on that), and the customs the US stores came out to about $5 CAN more. I ended up asking Ray at NTF to price match Radioworld (and he has never said no to any of the Calgary Regional ARES members showing CRARES ID) and I ended up saving the shipping costs from Toronto.

At the end of the day, at least in my opinion, you can find deals if you look for them. The more you support the smaller retailers, the more you can get deals and the better customer service.

Status
Not open for further replies.