BCD396T/BC996T: BCD396T Programming Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
I'm in the process of programming a friend's BCD396T, and I'm not very familiar with this model. I do own a BCD396XT, so I understand there may be some differences. My questions are:

1. When using Freescan, do the true P25 systems need to be programmed as Motorola (under "create new system")? I know with the XT models, you just program as 'P25 standard".

2. I'll be programming these two systems:
Kansas City Metro - Metropolitan Area Regional Radio System (MARRS) Trunking System, Kansas City Metro Area, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies
Missouri Statewide Wireless Interoperable Network (MOSWIN) Trunking System, Statewide, Missouri - Scanner Frequencies

Is there anything special I need to do as far as programming Base/Spacing/Offset?

3. While programming with Freescan, I noticed some of the systems/groups get bumped out of sequential order aside from how I intended to program them. Is this normal? (I use ARC-XT pro to program my XT, therefore I'm not familiar with the Freescan software).

I_am_Alpha1

I have one in my car--still love it. I haven't used freescan in a long time--last time the scanner didn't work. I switched to ARC and it works fine--something about rebanding I believe was the issue. You may want to use ARC--you can use it in demo mode for a few times instead of buying it for a single use.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
I have one in my car--still love it. I haven't used freescan in a long time--last time the scanner didn't work. I switched to ARC and it works fine--something about rebanding I believe was the issue. You may want to use ARC--you can use it in demo mode for a few times instead of buying it for a single use.

Based on what I've seen so far, I'm really not impressed with the Freescan software. He wants groups of TG IDs programmed in a specific order, and it appears the software is hell bent on throwing everything out of sequence. We'll see what happens when I do the actual upload to his 396T tomorrow. If all else fails, I'll go the ARC route. It would be nice if the ARC-XT would be compatible with the earlier T models.

n4yek

Use MOT Type II / P25 for the system type.
On P25 systems, you do not need to use Base/Space/offset.

On the command bar of Freescan, you can choose how you want to view your systems you create. Click on 'View' and then choose 'Sort By'. My preference is by 'Quick Key'

Last edited:

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
Use MOT Type II / P25 for the system type.
On P25 systems, you do not need to use Base/Space/offset.

On the command bar of Freescan, you can choose how you want to view your systems you create. Click on 'View' and then choose 'Sort By'. My preference is by 'Quick Key'

Thank you...that worked! I should've been smarter than the software. His 396 is now programmed, and works OK for the most part. There appears to be an issue where unprogrammed IDs are showing up in "ID Scan" mode, but everything else is functioning as it should.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thank you...that worked! I should've been smarter than the software. His 396 is now programmed, and works OK for the most part. There appears to be an issue where unprogrammed IDs are showing up in "ID Scan" mode, but everything else is functioning as it should.
Remember that on the 396T, if he is listening to a talkgroup, on a trunked system, and decides that he wants to move on, if he hits "Scan" to resume scanning, he just toggled that system from ID Scan to ID search (or the other way around, depending on which way it was set).

Look at the display when it is scanning a trunked system. If you see "ID Scan" scrolling across the display (when it's scanning the system, but not receiving anything at that moment), then you are in ID Scan Mode. If ID Search was scrolling, that that was the current mode.

In ID Scan mode, the scanner will stop only on active talkgroups that are entered in your programming and are not locked out, either individually, or in a locked out group.

In ID Search mode, it will stop on any active talkgroup that is not locked out. If it is entered in your programming, you'd see the text tag. If not programmed (but not locked out, you'd just see the talkgroup ID.

By comparison, for your 396XT, to toggle between ID Search and ID Scan, you have to hit Function + Scan to make that switch. On the 396T, the Scan key alone switches it over. So, if he is seeing "ID Search", he can toggle it back to "ID Scan" by just hitting the Scan button while in that system.

Status
Not open for further replies.